3 small healthy meals = 1200 calories

Options
tttrrr
tttrrr Posts: 20 Member
I was just curious how many people follow a 3 sm meal =1200 calories a day diet. If so how long have you been doing it for. Has it worked well to loose weight? Could you follow this as a life change? Apparently it's healthy to live on a calorie restrickted diet but I'm not sure how many calories.

Replies

• tttrrr
    Options
    I was just curious how many people follow a 3 sm meal =1200 calories a day diet. If so how long have you been doing it for. Has it worked well to loose weight? Could you follow this as a life change? Apparently it's healthy to live on a calorie restrickted diet but I'm not sure how many calories.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

3 meals totaling 300 each

snacks 150 each

totals 1200 calories a day
  • Mishka_Neil
    Options
    if your use to eating healthy portions- a caloric intake that low just might do you more bad than good. Since food tends to be the main issue here as far as what keeps us from losing weight so easily, I would have to say, unless you have alot of willpower, try to decline ur caloric intake, slowly. because if you go form ur usual eating habits to 1200/day, chances are you'll be so hungry, you'll cave and eat the first delicious thing you see.
    let me give you and example. For breakfast this morning, I had tea with honey, 1cup of cereal with fat free milk and an apple. I've already consumed about 350 calories. on a 1200 a day diet, that would leave you about 850 calories for the rest of the day. but since this breakfast make me full and I feel fine, I'm okay. but if ur the kind of person who prefers to have a nice muffin and may some coffee for breakfast- you'll consume about 600 calories-and ur poor day hasn't even begun! so I would say the choice is yours, but please consider the reality of it, before you decide on such a drastic change in ur daily diet :)

:flowerforyou: :drinker: CHEER CHEERS FOR EVERYONE!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • purpleparadox
    Options
    It is possible to do, but you have to keep in mind that if you do a lot of physical activity in a day, 1200 calories for the day may not be enough. That's why the exercise/food tracker gives you more calories to eat if you've exercised a lot. You don't want to go into starvation mode, and if you're working out a lot and only eating 1200 calories a day, that could happen.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am allowed 1360.... I have a pretty good sized breakfast and lunch and a small dinner with 2 snacks (sometimes 3 if I am under) and do pretty well. I am not losing a huge amount of weight at once, only 1-2 pounds a week, and am okay with that.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

snacks 150 each

You wont stick to 1200 for life. That is a calorie deficit. When you reach your goal weight, you start eating more.

Switch your current weight and current goal real quick to your goal weight and you'll see how many calories you'll be eating once you reach your goal weight. It moves up gradually as you get closer.
  • zimansmooch
    Options
    Remember that 1200 calories is final count...after excercise. So remember to eat some extra healthy calories to compensate for your workout.

I thought I would not be able to do it....I too have a "good" breakfast. It goes a long way for me. I miss breakfast I am running on empty the rest of the day.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think you are speaking also about the "Calorie Restriction" movement that is followed to extend life - I've read up on it, and Oprah did a show recently on it. The man on the show was 5'9" and weighed around 140 lbs, and ate around 1900 calories daily. The woman did not tell her weight (but she was SKIN-ny!) and she ate around 1700 calories a day. Both of those are obviously quite a bit lower than their maintenance weight calories!
    :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    Options

snacks 150 each

You wont stick to 1200 for life. That is a calorie deficit. When you reach your goal weight, you start eating more.

Switch your current weight and current goal real quick to your goal weight and you'll see how many calories you'll be eating once you reach your goal weight. It moves up gradually as you get closer.

Thats funny that you said that because in one of my fitness magazines someone wrote in asking that since they lost all there weight if they could now increase the amount of calories they are eating daily and they were told NO because they would end up gaining since there body was used to eating the calories to maintain the weight loss at that weight and eating more calories would have them gain it
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I try to eat about 5 smaller meals a day, because it keeps your metabolism going. I guess some people would qualify some of this as just a snack, but I had just a slice of cinnamon raisin bread, a fruit cup, and a hard boiled egg for my second meal today. But my calorie goal is 1270 calories right now, so it's similar to that diet.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I think you are speaking also about the "Calorie Restriction" movement that is followed to extend life - I've read up on it, and Oprah did a show recently on it. The man on the show was 5'9" and weighed around 140 lbs, and ate around 1900 calories daily. The woman did not tell her weight (but she was SKIN-ny!) and she ate around 1700 calories a day. Both of those are obviously quite a bit lower than their maintenance weight calories!
    :flowerforyou:

I read about it too but they were very healthy- and have been doing it for quite sometime.
  • tttrrr
    Options
    mysyac2, I also thought if I increased calories as I reached my goal weight I would start to gain weight. Although it makes sence you would eat a bit more to stop loosing. When you think of it there must be a really fine line between the two that is different for everyone. Sounds like alot of juggling. Maybe thats why people quite often start to gain weight back because they have a hard time finding that happy balance. The diet is called CRON Calorie Restrickted for Optimal Health. I actually would like to learn to eat more like this as I would love to live a longer healthier life. Enjoy my kiddies and maybe grand kiddies one day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!