Is this a realistic first week at the gym?

Options
I hadn't set foot in a gym in over 8 years until I joined the YMCA last week. The day I did all my paperwork and got my initial tour I didn't have time to actually do anything. I have a 20 minute walk to get there and anotther 20 minute walk home. I'm going to start this week and this is what I'm planning on doing:

Monday - receive instruction on how to use all equipment properly, swim laps for an hour (if I can make it that long). - I can't normally go to the gym on Mondays but can this week
Tuesday - swim laps for an hour, lift on machines, kettle-bell class for an hour
Wednesday - gentle yoga for an hour, water aerobics class for an hour, swimming for an hour (if I can)
Thursday - gentle yoga for an hour, pilates for an hour (these two classes are back to back with the same instructor), kettle-bell class for an hour, lift free weights
Friday - no gym
Saturday - lift on machines, bike 30/ellip. 30, lap swim if working out late (only open 6-8pm)
Sunday - no gym

For lifting my friend has recommended I do it in the following sequence:

2 weeks of 3 sets of 25 reps
2 weeks of 4 sets of 15 reps
2 weeks of 4 sets of 8 reps

He also suggested I use heavier weights on the weeks I do less reps and lighter weights on the weeks I do more reps. He's not a PT, but he has been working out for a long time and thinks that's a good rotation for me.

Am I way over doing it? Under doing it? Does that lifting schedule sound like a good idea? Is this a plan I should work up to or should I be able to jump straight into working out this often? Does it make sense to lift on the same days I do a kettle-bell class?

I'm currently rather active in my daily life, but the only real exercise I get is from walking, lifting/carrying small children, and playing with children - I'm a nanny. I know I just asked like a million questions, thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to read through all this!

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I would try 3 days a week and see how you feel. For many 40 minutes of walking is a lot.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think it sound like too much. I started 3 weeks ago at a heavy schedule, and my body told me too much after about 2 weeks. My muscles were sore at first, but it was how week and tired after a couple of weeks, that told me they needed some time to recuperate. Your schedule is much heavier than mine!

I know more experienced people will answer, but just my opinion.
  • ecronick
    ecronick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree with them. It just sounds like a little too much. Plus, as far as lifting goes you don't want to do more then 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps and as you get stronger increase the weight.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a bit much - start slower, less chances for injury and burnout! :flowerforyou:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    way too much... you don't need to be doing 2-3 hour workouts everyday...
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    This plan sounds pretty aggressive, and I fear you are setting yourself up for disappointment. An hour of swimming AND something else seems like way too much! Don't beat yourself up if you can't do it all in week one. When I started exercising, I worked out 30 minutes 3 times a week. I'm sure I was older and fatter than you, but I still lost weight like crazy.
  • peachyolives
    peachyolives Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty intense schedule you have planned. It's certainly possible to do, and I won't tell you you can't - because as the old saying goes, "Reach for the moon. Even if you don't reach it, you'll land among the stars." I would be careful, though, to make sure you give yourself some slack if for some reason you need to change the schedule. Like I said, you have some lofty goals, and you want to make sure you don't get discouraged if you can't do it all.

I go to the gym/workout outside every day for 1-3+ hours, doing a mixture of things like: spinning class, elliptical machine, treadmill, bicycling and running outside. (I know it's good to do, but I haven't really done any weights). Most people think that's pretty intense, but it's working for me, so best of luck with your progress!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when i got my first membership, i was there a good 4 hours a day taking classes. I stopped that pretty fast. Do what you enjoy. You'll know when you've done enough. The next week, you'll probably be like ....ok... i think one thing a day is adequate, and learn from your experience. Or not, you might find you enjoy that amount of activity. We're quick to say it's too much, but in job circumstances, some people do a lot more work than we do in a gym session. Just make sure you're eating enough to fuel the amounts of activity you want to do.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you - and in the end of the day it is your choice.....but I think you are planning on way too much....in the end of the day the way I look at it - any exercise I do should be sustainable in the long run - will you be able to work 2 to 3 hours of exercise into your day every day???

I would look at 60 to 90 minutes total a day - at the very top..... an occasional "bigger day" is OK - but really - every day - nope - I dont think it is sustainable....
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 4 hours on any given day, I walk to work and back and spend a lot of my time at work walking around with the kids, or pushing them in the stroller. I live in NYC and we walk a LOT here!

I know part of it is just that I'm excited and want to try all the classes/equipment right away. But I also know I probably can't handle all of that right off the bat. I'm going to see how much I can do this week and adjust for next week I think. Definitely keeping Tuesday as is, I have Tuesdays off so I have all day to do all that if I need to. Wed I will probably skip this week and work up to, Thurs I'll start this week with just Yoga and lifting, unless I feel like I can do more, and Sat I'll probably keep as listed if I feel up to it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    3-4 hours in the gym several days a week is too much. An hour a day is totally sufficient, even a one-hour class + some lifting. But 3+ hours a day will likely result in burnout.

Good luck, and enjoy the Y - I love mine!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot. I think maybe you could stick with it the first week, but then become overwhelmed. And if you're looking for fatloss... stick with the cardio, and add a few days of strength training.
  • damifino
    damifino Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you feel like it go for it. I do 2 hours a day six days a week and have lost 32 lbs in 2 months. If I miss a day I feel like crap but I get up every morning at 5 to get my workout in.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you are super-woman if you can do ALL that. seems possible, just you may get burnt out quickly. i would say 2 hours at most, but that's just my max. . .a little more if you include a cool down, but great on joining the gym, hope you stick with it and enjoy the classes that you take
  • havalinaaa
    Options
    So a more realistic first week is:

Monday-get trained on equipment, maybe swim laps
    Tuesday - lap swim for 30 minutes, kettle bells class for an hour
    Wednesday - no gym
    Thursday - gentle yoga, lift weights
    Friday - no gym
    Saturday - lift weights, bike 30/elliptical 30 - if I don't feel completely drained/strained from the other stuff I did

The reason I joined a gym was for strength training, I can do cardio til the cows come home at work if I feel like it, and often do. I also joined the particular place I joined because they have a pool and I LOVE swimming laps. I was a lifeguard in my late teens, early 20's and used to swim laps for hours. Of course, that was before I gained 60 pounds and I know I won't be able to do that much right away but it's hard to remember that sometimes.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    You are going from no formal exercise straight to 13+ hours a week - that's definitely overdoing it and asking for an injury and/or exhaustion. I would try to do 3 days a week of cardio and 2-3 days of lifting. The gentle yoga can be combined with either one. Kettle bell workout and lifting on the same day is a really bad idea. If you're not already a swimmer, swimming laps for an hour is crazy ambitious. When I first started swimming I could barely make it 15 minutes.

25 reps is way too much for lifting. I am doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and in stage 1 it's two weeks each of:

2 sets of 15 reps
    2 sets of 12 reps
    3 sets of 10 reps
    3 sets of 8 reps

You can always build up to 13+ hours a week. But if you try to do too much too soon, you're almost certainly going to get discouraged and/or hurt. I've been working out for a long time and I'm only at about 12 hours a week - and over half of that is yoga classes.

Oh, and eat back your exercise calories - you've got to fuel your body for that much activity.
  • havalinaaa
    Options
    Thank you everyone for making me realize I was being way too ambitious. I'm just so excited! And I want to do everything! But I'm only human and need to be sensible about it.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Monday - receive instruction on how to use all equipment properly, swim laps for an hour (if I can make it that long). - I can't normally go to the gym on Mondays but can this week
    Tuesday - swim laps for an hour, lift on machines, kettle-bell class for an hour
    Wednesday - gentle yoga for an hour, water aerobics class for an hour, swimming for an hour (if I can)
    Thursday - gentle yoga for an hour, pilates for an hour (these two classes are back to back with the same instructor), kettle-bell class for an hour, lift free weights
    Friday - no gym
    Saturday - lift on machines, bike 30/ellip. 30, lap swim if working out late (only open 6-8pm)
    Sunday - no gym

This will have you overtraining fairly shortly.
    The swimming is a great idea. It is full body cardio. However, I wouldn't do any thing else those days.

Honestly, start with 3 days of cardio (your swimming for example) and the other 3 days do your free weights or kettle-bell class (note the use of the word "or" not "and").

Your joints, tendons, and ligaments are not used to the load that you are about to throw at them and this screams invitation to overtraining injury.

Try the above for 4 weeks to acclimate. After that add more if you can handle it.
  • aaproud
    aaproud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. That sounds very ambiitious to me. One thing that you have to remember is if you do too much at once your body will need more and more exercise to have any effect if you are trying to lose weight. My suggestion is that you start out slow, and gradually work up. Generally speaking 25 to 30 minutes of cardio exercise is plenty for anyone on a given day. Be careful not to over train, and please be careful not to go overboard and injure yourself. As far as the weights go, if you are trying to build strength try to hit your max reps at 8 - 12 with the last rep being a struggle to complete with perfect form. The weight varies from person to person, and again try not to rush your progress. Finally the variety you spoke of is good. That way your body does not get used to the same thing. Above all, good luck in achieving your goal. Don't give up until you get there, and if you need support, I will be here. :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    So a more realistic first week is:

Monday-get trained on equipment, maybe swim laps
    Tuesday - lap swim for 30 minutes, kettle bells class for an hour
    Wednesday - no gym
    Thursday - gentle yoga, lift weights
    Friday - no gym
    Saturday - lift weights, bike 30/elliptical 30 - if I don't feel completely drained/strained from the other stuff I did

The reason I joined a gym was for strength training, I can do cardio til the cows come home at work if I feel like it, and often do. I also joined the particular place I joined because they have a pool and I LOVE swimming laps. I was a lifeguard in my late teens, early 20's and used to swim laps for hours. Of course, that was before I gained 60 pounds and I know I won't be able to do that much right away but it's hard to remember that sometimes.

This plan sounds much better. My daughter, also a former lifeguard, loves swimming, and it burns the calories like crazy. Enjoy!