HCG

Options
Anyone willing to share their experience with HCG?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My only experience has been reading the threads about it here, and the general consensus is that it isn't healthy and most people gain back the weight they lose.

The majority of people on this site are losing weight through eating properly and exercising, and that seems to work quite well. Why not try this approach first?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Click SEARCH and type HCG and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know!!!!
  • bigbonedbetty
    Options
    My boyfriend works with a few folks that are on that horrible diet. the 500 cal/day goal is SO unhealthy.. he said that the hcg'ers we're very moody, and complained often times of feeling weak. He also said that their general appearance started to fade too.. probably from lack of nourishment... Hope this helps =]
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I don't think HCG is for me. I remember when fen/fen was considered safe and a miracle. Later found that the combination of drugs was causing cardiac damage. I worry about anything that seems to good to be true. I believe I'd lose weight on a 500 cal a day diet even if I didn't use HCG. I would worry about putting a hormone that occurs naturally in pregnant women into my peri-menopausal body. Good grief....my hormones are already mixed up enough!

We each have to decide how to achieve or goals. Do what you think is best for you. I wish you luck in whatever path you choose. But I am with Contrarian...Why not try doing it with sensible eating and exercise first?

I didn't gain all this weight over night....Why would I expect to lose it over night?
  • honeybadger175
    honeybadger175 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did it for a about 3 weeks and I was miserable! I was always hungry and moody! I tried it becasue several people I work with did it and lost weight (i work at a hospital) but only a couple people kept it off (they had less than 20lbs to lose) everyone else gained the weight back and the doctors heavily critized the diet...

This is a much better way, excecise and log your food for a couple weeks and give it a try! I felt amazing in my first week :)
  • luvmytwokidzz
    Options
    I did the 42 day cycle and had absolutley no trouble with it. The one thing that helped me was the fact that I have PCOS and th HCG helped calm the migrains and slowed the hair growth. I did not have hair falling out, I was a little more tired than usual,. but nothing horrible. I followed the diet to the T and lost 28 lbs in 30 days and have kept it off over 6 months. I am thinking of doing round two this week.
  • MKPRN
    MKPRN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am probably the only person you will hear on this board talk somewhat positively about hcg. I lost 50 pounds doing the hcg protocol 2 years ago and have kept the weight off. Was it easy. NO! It took a lot of hard work, planning and disciplne to follow that diets. I had mild side effects compared to a lot of people. I have heard some horrible stories about people losing their hair and being very sick. I had mild fatigue, moodiness and heavy periods while using hcg. I will tell you right now if you have little will power don't even attempt to use hcg. Eating 500 calories a day is very difficult. I ate chicken, shrimp and lettuce for a year. I probably would not have done this diet but I was very heavy and suffering from bad knee and back pain. I was contemplating having a lap band done and decided to try hcg after hearing someone else talk about it. I am glad I did it because it started me on a road of losing the weight that I needed to get rid of. Now I refuse to use hcg. The side effects are difficult to deal with and I find my life much more enjoyable eating healthy and exercising. BTW, I lost the weight so fast on the hcg that I now have some very saggy skin on my body that I can not get rid of.

I did the injections. It seems like people that do the injections do better than those that do the drops. There is a lot of information on the internet about hcg but the best information I have found is from a group on sparkpeople.com. And the Prinster book (red cover) that is sold on Amazon.

Hope this helps you in your decision.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm pregnant woman pee.
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 14 of a 21 day round. I have lost over 9 pounds in 14 days. I am doing the drops opposed to the injections or pellets that are available and if I could go back and do it again, I would choose the pellets over the drops. Injections are not even an option to me because the thought of a needle makes me sick. I was considering doing another round in January ( because I will be in phase 4 during the holidays and you can introduce starches and sugars slowly back in to your diet at that point ) but my husband asked me~ just tonight ~ to finish this 21 days and not do it again. It is a difficult plan to follow just like any other diet. Atkins is difficult and even more restricted in the fruits and veggies area in my opinion and I am big on protein, fruits and veggies. My husband and I both love to workout , as well, and on the HCG, you cannot do much more than a brisk walk during the day. I miss my treadmill and my Zumba... A LOT! As far as losing weight, that is a great bonus to the HCG but I will say this..... if you plan to start it, you need to be ready to finish it to the end or YOU WILL gain all your weight back. This is not a get skinny quick thing that you can go back to your old habits after losing. I knew that going in to this and I have every intention of following this through to the end and continue my journey to my weight loss goal. My personal opinion of the diet....I think that it is an awesome opportunity for immobile individuals that cannot walk due to their weight. There are lots of obese people out there that get this HCG through their primary care physician and are watched closely to lose weight. To me, I feel like if you can get the HCG prescribed by your doctor, the good must outweigh the bad ....and you do hear bad experiences....I am not denying that...I have read them too, but I have also seen so many success stories, as well. I watched just the other day where a doctor HIMSELF did the HCG and he swears by it and has maintained his weight for years. I have also seen where two people were in the I.C.U. from it because they had a negative reaction to it because of a sugar issue. Would I suggest this diet to one of MY family members....probably not. ONLY because I would never forgive myself if they lost the weight and then gained it back if they did not follow through. That is the major thing with the HCG. That is why you have people that have done the HCG and said they gained their weight back and I notice that the ones that own up to their weight gain will be big enough to tell you that they went back to their old eating habits. Then again, we are all here for a life change, right? So, if you get to your goal weight and quit logging your foods and go back to eating the way you use to, you will gain that weight back too... no different then the HCG. It is just real important with the HCG that you follow it to be successful. I am looking forward to getting back to my regular dieting and exercising, but I don't regret my HCG decision for a second. It has taught me so many things about food choices and I am experiencing first hand what it is like to function without the nasty sugars and starches that I always depended on to run in my day. I hope this helps.
  • cscrivner2010
    Options
    I am a HCG newby. I have PCOS which is part of the reason I gained a lot of weight and hoping this will help me jump start things. Any advice would be appreciated, especially on the diet and what to do. I think I am missing some of the information for food and instructions from my list.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it but I can't because my Breast Cancer was hormone-receptor-positive.

But I know 4 people (friends) that did it 2 both lost 20 - 30 lbs
    the other 40 lbs and the last one lost 18 lbs but when she stopped she went back in to menopause and got very depressed and ended up on Anti Depressants.

I think you are going to get positive and negative feedback from both sides, just depending on the expierence the person had.
  • _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

By the way, for those of you suggesting I "try diet and exercise" first. While I appreciate your opinions, you can't seriously think that I haven't already tried that.....repeatedly.

:-D
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

By the way, for those of you suggesting I "try diet and exercise" first. While I appreciate your opinions, you can't seriously think that I haven't already tried that.....repeatedly.

:-D

*looks at ticker below*

118 lbs lost.

diet and exercise.

and a whole lot of sweat, guts and determination....

I'm not even going to bother to give my opinion on HCG.
  • _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    Good for you. However, I'm not you. I'm also not suggesting that HCG is the "end all be all". It's more of a last resort type thing.

Just to clarify, I was asking about HCG experience, so I could make an informed decision - not the opinion of people who haven't had any experience with it.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.

tumblr_lsh3ctbD6G1qzwaddo1_500.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    HCG injections do nothing for weight loss and homeopathic drops do less than nothing

Stein et al. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 29, 940-948

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

Lijesen et al. The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):237-43.

"There is no scientific evidence that hCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

also see JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963, S Afr Med J. 1990 Feb 17;77(4):185-9, West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977, Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Good for you. However, I'm not you. I'm also not suggesting that HCG is the "end all be all". It's more of a last resort type thing.

Just to clarify, I was asking about HCG experience, so I could make an informed decision - not the opinion of people who haven't had any experience with it.

Why are you not me?

You don't think that I came down to looking for last resorts when I was 286 lbs? You don't think that I too looked to this kind of 'lifestyle' for a quick fix?

All I'm trying to say is that this doesn't have to be the last resort for you, you're only 31 - make healthy changes in your life, eat at a moderate caloric deficit and shake your butt...its not hard. You don't have to starve yourself on 500 calories a day, you can enjoy your life. Don't punish your body, feed it, train it enjoy what your body can do.

Thats all I am saying.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Click SEARCH and type HCG and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know!!!!

^ THIS!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Why is it required that I 'try it' before commenting?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's "not even funny"