Does water help lose weight??

Options
Hi all

I might be raising a controversial issue, but I was wondering what people think about whether drinking water actually helps with weight loss?

I did some searching and there seems to be a few studies out there that say that the only way water helps is if you drink 2 glasses before a meal by making you feel full, and that otherwise, water intake doesn't really make a difference.

What does everyone think?

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I did notice I had better losses in the weeks that I was drinking at least 2 liters of ice water a day. I think it may be because it's hard to overeat and drink lost of water, drinking will sometimes take the place of times when you may have usually had a snack.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I know for me personally I feel better when I drink enough water. And I have seen some research to show your body functions better when you drink enough water and I would guess if you body isn't functioning optimally your weight loss won't go so well.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Water helps our bodies function effectively and efficiently. Water also flushes toxins out. Important when you're exercising and losing weight. I agree that it also can give you a feeling of fulness before a meal helping you to eat less. So water helps you maintain good health which is super important to keep your metabolism from faltering.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I'm not speaking for everyone but water has definitely helped me with my weight loss and other health issues as well. Water helps flush out waste/toxins, keeps you full longer, gives skin and hair a glowy look. I don't drink 8 cups of just water. I drink 6-8 cups of tea with water (I don't add any sugar) and 2-3 cups of just water when I work out.
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    I think it definitely does help. Also, the fluoride that is naturally in our tap water doesn't hurt either(: I drink A LOT of water throughout the day. Way more than the "Eight 8oz glasses a day" rule. I've noticed that when I started MFP & I started drinking more water, I dropped 4 pounds in the first week. Mostly water weight. I feel like when you don't drink enough water, it tries to store as much as it can because it does not know when it will get it next. So when your body gets it all the time, it does not need to store as much because it gets enough as it is.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    water helps me feel awake and hydrated its helped my skin and has helped me feel full when i wasnt really hungry, id say it defenetly aids to a healthy weightloss
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Drinking enough water can help keep retention under control - when your body gets dehydrated, which can also happen from too much caffeine or sodium, it holds on to water causing you to "temporarily" gain weight and feel bloated. When you get enough, it flushes out the water it doesn't need. We also get lots of water from the food we eat; it's not just about how much we drink
    That's just something I've heard from some posts on here, not 100% sure of accuracy, but it seems to be the case for me :)
    And if drinking water to fill up helps keep you within your calorie goals, then it could definitely help!
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies! it is great to hear about people's actual experiences rather than just looking at articles on the topic

sounds like I should stick to my plan of increasing my water intake! :drinker:
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself today, the day after drinking about twice as much as I have done in the previous week. In that week the scales barely moved. Today they did.

Perhaps it was co-incidence.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hey, I find drinking heaps of water helps stop snacking and grazing- a lot of the time when I'm feeling snacky I'm just thirsty but haven't figured it out yet! If I drink lots of water and herbal tea then hunger between meals disappears
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Every biological process in the body involves water. -Including glucose production and lipolysis. So I would say yes.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my personal experiences but yes. This is the first time I've hydrated myself properly when dieting. I feel AMAZING and my depression is gone. No pills and I'm just do damn happy!

Let me put it another way. It won't hurt you in any way. So why not?
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    2 glasses or even just 1 glass before a meal helps with over eating. Water also helps your body function propertly, flushes out the bad stuff etc.
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 cups of water a day - I do put a tea bag in each one though! Still counts as water?
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    well the other thing is, the more water you drink, its likely your drinking less soft drink etc, meaning less calories. It hydrates which u kneed to loose weight, it makes u feel fuller, and it has no calories.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference I noticed from increasing my water intake was appetite control. I'd heard that people often mistake hunger for thirst but didn't know that was a real thing until I started drinking enough, lol. And I'm with cofakid, the more water I drink, the less I crave sweet drinks like soda or juice. Not to mention it makes digestion more efficient & my skin looks great. :)