i'm hungry but have no cals left, on my rest day?

Options
okay so i know it is good to have a rest day so have finally worked it into my week...
the only problem is, i am really hungry..
should i eat and then work them off or just eat and be over my cals for this one day?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rest is important so i would go over.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    My advice? Have a glass of water and wait 15 min. If you're still hungry then eat. You're doing amazing and your body is trying to tell you something!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    have a glass of water and go for a walk!
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm always more hungry on a rest day....sometimes it's boredom, sometimes it's genuine hunger!

If you've been having a lot of cals leftover for the last few days, try and eat a few of them back, even if it sends you over for one day. Just make sure they are as clean and satisfying as possible, and a good protein source will help with recovery from your recent workouts! Don't be using it as an excuse to eat empty cals though!

Most of all, relax and enjoy the day off - you've earned it!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    eat if you are hungry....
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Rest is important and I actually think hunger is too.

Just because you're hungry doesn't mean you have to eat - teach your body a bit of discipline and ignore it!
  • MKPRN
    MKPRN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, drink a glass of water, slice up a cucumber and some celery and eat that. Very filling for very few calories. If it doesn't sound good to you than you aren't really that hungry are you?
  • NikkiLynne911
    Options
    Don't do it. Try drinking water first, and then if that doesn't work then eat. But try to find something healthy like fruit or vegetables
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Just because you're hungry doesn't mean you have to eat - teach your body a bit of discipline and ignore it!

Seriously.. teach your body discipline and ignore it.. Can't even begin to express how bad that advice is.

To Op:
    Eat something small would be my advice. Peanut butter and toast or some sort of fruit.. something that is low in calories but satisfying. If you go over a little bit, it won't hurt you... If your hungry then you need to eat.. plain and simple.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

ummm, you're kidding right? You gotta listen to your body! Just as pain tells as something is not right, hunger tells us our body needs nutrients.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    With the kinda surpluses I see you maintain through the week, I say eat. I feel ravenous on rest days too (but don't maintain such surpluses...I've been wondering if I ought to start saving some calories up for my rest days so I can still eat).

What MKPRN said :-)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I found 25 cal hot coco. (Swiss miss) I have that- it is chocolate yum and since it is a hot drink it fills me up.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    On a pure rest day, I try to eat a very little bit of something healthy about once an hour (small handful of nuts, a string cheese, etc.) and stretch out my eating all day...it has really helped me get through pure rest days...on most rest days, I end up mowing grass or doing something above sedentary and log the burn to get me a few extra calories...a walk, as previously mentiioned, can get you a handful more calories to get through the day as well...good luck.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

ummm, you're kidding right? You gotta listen to your body! Just as pain tells as something is not right, hunger tells us our body needs nutrients.

No, not at all

If you were literally starving then of course you should eat.

But you've eaten 1200 calories - you're not genuinely hungry, you can't be.

When we are used to overeating then our body is not so good at knowing real hunger from what we are used to having and what we want.

Your body has enough, it doesn't need more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well by looking at your diary, you seem to be burning up to 1000 calories a day and are considerably under your calories most days. When you do a lot of training, your body is hungry because its trying to repair itself. So you should feed it, but make sure they are very heathy calories (piece of chicken, protein bars/shake or something) that has good protein in it so your muscles can grow and repair effectively.

I would like to ask, what do you do that burns that many calories?

ps- not eating will only increase the chance of losing muscle mass.
  • cufirst84
    cufirst84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    water and gum !!! keep yourself busy...
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Well by looking at your diary, you seem to be burning up to 1000 calories a day and are considerably under your calories most days. When you do a lot of training, your body is hungry because its trying to repair itself. So you should feed it, but make sure they are very heathy calories (piece of chicken, protein bars/shake or something) that has good protein in it so your muscles can grow and repair effectively.

I would like to ask, what do you do that burns that many calories?

ps- not eating will only increase the chance of losing muscle mass.

yeah i know :( i'm starting to eat back my exercise cals as of nov 1st i have decided!

it is generally 2 hours or so at the gym, quite heavy weights, bike, elliptical, running on the treadmill, stepper, rower, etc.
    I just love exercise okay I can't help it :P
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

No, not at all

If you were literally starving then of course you should eat.

But you've eaten 1200 calories - you're not genuinely hungry, you can't be.

When we are used to overeating then our body is not so good at knowing real hunger from what we are used to having and what we want.

Your body has enough, it doesn't need more.

Can't be hungry at 1200? really? Most FEMALES need AT LEAST 1500 cals per day and i was stupid and decided not to eat my exercise cals for awhile and see what it would do... pretty much nothing, except make me hungry, stalled my weight loss and now i have to pay for it! I dunno about you but I see food as something that I use to fuel my body not eat a certain amount and tell it to stop.

Uhh sorry but I have not overeaten in quite awhile, have not actually ever been over my calories since I started MFP in april so...uhh what does that say?!
    Just cos you want to malnourish your body does not mean I want to do that to mine...
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Don't eat and drink water! Lots! :)