Sample Home Workouts

Options
I am a stay at home mom and need a sample home workout routine. I have a treadmill, elliptical, weights, p90x, insanity and a few JM dvds. I feel like i have all i need to kick off my workouts except a clue what to do. Please tell me what your home routine looks like! How much cardio do you do and what days? What about squats, lunges, crunches....HELP!

Replies

• melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I work out from home. I do 6 days a week for 30-40 min. I alternate cardio with strength training/ toning stuff.
    Here is what my workout looks like:
    Day 1 Cardio
    Day 2: Hips and buns (lunges) and Abs
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: Chest and back (with weights) and Abs
    Day 5: Cardio
    Day 6: Shoulders and arms (with weights) and abs
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a great set up! I am no fitness expert, but I am a mom, and I'd say the first thing would be to figure out where in your busy day is best to fit the workout in. Carving time out for it is key, so that you don't excuse yourself out of it. Also, planning at least one day of rest - where the only exercise you do is a walk to the park with the kids.

I'm sure you've heard all this before, but since you are asking -
    - make sure you do both weight training and cardio
    - start where your fitness level lets you. i.e. perhaps do 20 minutes of cardio and one of the easier DVDs each day (except your rest).
    - when it starts feeling easy/ boring, progress - new DVD, more intense cardio (or for longer), heavier weights.
    - if you only have a small block of time, you could alternate (cardio one day, DVD involving weights the other). If you have more time (and the inclination) you could do both the weights and cardio in the same day.

I am doing JMs 30DS, and I log it as "circuit training - general" (seems to be the consensus on MFP, unless you have a heart rate monitor and can make a more personalized entry.

I think the most important thing to do is START!!! Don't let yourself put it off because you are looking for the "right routine" (this is something I would do...I am such a "planner", but it takes a while to actually "do"!). It is likely best to start small, but to at least start, than to make up some massive, ambitious workout plan that dies off after two weeks.

As I said, I am no expert and I am sure you have heard all this before. I am not sure if this is quite the response you were looking for, but I hope it helps. Good luck!!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you search previous topics you will find MANY suggestions.
  • melbhall
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I do have a HRM and i dont have a set time to workout, but can generally find an hour to do it, whether it be after the boys are in bed, during naptime or before dinmer. I feel like having a plan/schedule will help me with actually doing it, otherwise i might just do cardo everyday, and i KNOW i need to be doing some strength training too.
  • lefebvre002
    Options
    OK, this is what I do, start your routine off with a warm up. Do 25 push ups, sit ups leg raisers, squats, and lunges. Do this twice. Than jump on your elliptical for 6 minutes and try to hit it hard. Than get off and and do 6 different exercises for a minute each. So grab 7 to 10 pounds depending on your strength and do curls for a minute than go directly into another set that works the opposite muscle. (remember that if you work the top muscle you have to work the opposite, biceps triceps. So, get a weight lifting magazine and look up different routines. So, do 6 different things for a minute each and than jump back on the elliptical for 6 and keep this up for an hour. You will get a great burn and a nice change up. Than on opposite days do abs and legs. You can do planks. crunches side crunches, you name it. Than you can do squats, lunges, side lunges and you can use kettle bells or weights if you feel strong. So, this is my stay home routine when I'm not in the gym kickboxing. Weights and cardio are an awesome combo and we as woman need weight. There ya go...been doing this for 2 years and lost over 180 pounds. You can do this!
  • melbhall
    Options
    If you search previous topics you will find MANY suggestions.

Thanks. I did look but didn't find exactly what I'm for...I will continue to search!
  • melbhall
    Options
    OK, this is what I do, start your routine off with a warm up. Do 25 push ups, sit ups leg raisers, squats, and lunges. Do this twice. Than jump on your elliptical for 6 minutes and try to hit it hard. Than get off and and do 6 different exercises for a minute each. So grab 7 to 10 pounds depending on your strength and do curls for a minute than go directly into another set that works the opposite muscle. (remember that if you work the top muscle you have to work the opposite, biceps triceps. So, get a weight lifting magazine and look up different routines. So, do 6 different things for a minute each and than jump back on the elliptical for 6 and keep this up for an hour. You will get a great burn and a nice change up. Than on opposite days do abs and legs. You can do planks. crunches side crunches, you name it. Than you can do squats, lunges, side lunges and you can use kettle bells or weights if you feel strong. So, this is my stay home routine when I'm not in the gym kickboxing. Weights and cardio are an awesome combo and we as woman need weight. There ya go...been doing this for 2 years and lost over 180 pounds. You can do this!

Hey, thanks! That's what im looking for, some one to tell me exactly what to do! I like the idea of six minute intervals, seems manageable. I will check out those arm routines, etc. Thanks again!