Psyllium Husk

Options
I have a question about Psyllium husk. It is in Metamucil, and I have heard it helps control appettite and helps "gets things going." Has anybody ever taken this as a supplement and if so what did you think?

Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Does get things going. It "controls appetite" in the sense that... well, this is how psyllium husk works:

The powder/husk mixes with water. As it absorbs water it forms a congealed, thick sludge (hopefully after you already drank it). Your body can't digest the sludge so as it travels through your digestive system it (1) takes up space and (2) hopefully as it swells its way through your intestines it absorbs crud and toxins that are there. Then you pass it.

The "(1)" is how it controls appetite. Because it takes up space in your system, your body may think that it's actually full and therefore you'll be less hungry. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference but I don't drink it BEFORE my meals and I eat a planned meal regardless of how I really feel hunger-wise. For appetite control it's recommended that you drink it before you sit down for your meals.

As far as getting things going, a good fiber supplement in my opinion is necessary when you eat low-carbs. I take it because generally my diet is on the low-end carb-wise, and very low-end when it comes to dietary fiber (the only real source of fiber I get is from broccoli). Rather than metamucil though, I prefer pure psyllium husk or -- if you can afford it -- colonix. [WARNING: graphic photographs on the colonix site that might not be safe for work or if you just ate.]
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    That was really helpful, thank you!
  • NYLatinaCR
    Options
    I know this is an old topic, but thanks for posting.... I was wondering the same thing.... I have a HUGE appetite and I need help controlling it. I have used things like appetite suppresant pills, but I don't want to go that route anymore. I rather do something that is healthy for my body.

The response that the gentleman gave was AWESOME!! Very affirming.... Thanks to you both!

Hope you both are still doing well with your health goals!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water with it if not you will get constipated big time.