Need cardio ideas, can't use feet!

Options
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I use the forums to ask a question.
I recently started my weight loss journey. I am doing great nutrition wise, and I also joined a gym. However, just last week I had surgery on both feet and I will not be able to exercise on my feet for a while.
I have a lot of weight to lose. I started at 315 and I am now 303.2 (yay me). I have a longggg way to go, but I will do this.
I know that I can sit and do hand held weights, but what about cardio? I can't put my feet in the water either so the pool is out of the question.
Thank you in advance for any tips you can give!

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Not being able to use your feet does limit it the cardiovascular work you can do. I would try pilates for cardio. Yoga does alot ON the feet, pilates does alot while you are laying down on your back.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    Boxing--jabs, uppercuts, hooks, etc. I wear a HRM and I can tell you that you can really blast your heart rate up there just with upper body boxing moves. Good luck to you!
  • DanaM810
    DanaM810 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels swears by doing punches with your arms when you have a lower body injury. It blasts your heart rate up. Can you use your legs, but just not put any pressure on your feet? Maybe go to a pilates class...they're an awesome workout.
  • ydeleon
    ydeleon Posts: 81
    Options
    I know of a fellow group exercise instructor who teaches from a wheelchair. And when most get some form of ankle/foot injury, they do from a chair. You'd be doing most of the movement with your arms and still get a calorie burn.

One very important thing to always keep in mind is your eating habits. But moreso now for you since your cardio won't be at it's highest.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My son (age 25) has been wheelchair bound for three years. He does a lot of cardio. He does jumping jack arms, pelvic tilts, shoulder shrugs, waist twists and a series of other exercises. Just moving the wheelchair is cardio. Ask your physical therapist. If you want, I can ask him if there are web site or other resources to help you.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Maybe the hand bike machine if your gym has one? Those things look like they probably get a good cardio workout.
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    maybe you can find inspiration in the 'chair zumba' vids on youtube?
  • Ketotaz
    Ketotaz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The pilates would be fun except if I get down on the floor I will not be able to get back up lol. That would mean putting weight on my feet to get back up. I have a lot of weight on me. I did not think about the punches! that is a great idea.
    Thanks all!

Edited to add: just saw allt he other replys on zumba and wheelchair exercises! how did I not think of looking those up? lol maybe its the lack of sleep. I also have a 7 month old baby who wakes me up about 7 times a night! thanks again everyone! great ideas.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Be a conductor and conduct some fast moving music.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Well, I am going to assume you can't stand then, so my first thought is that I have seen this contraption that is something you pedal with your arms... maybe your gym has them. Also, punching is a great cardio workout...seroiusly its hard to keep that up for long. And there are different punches... also pretend to hit a punching bag quickly (check out Tae Bo for different punches) Twists with a medicine ball can be tough, but effective for your waist. Maybe lift your arms as high as possible, then lean over in your chair to touch your toes! Cardio and a back strengthener all at once. Also, any gym equipment for your upper body could be set at a very low weight and you could do a lot of quick reps, which would get your heart rate up. Ask a trainer at the gym to help you set it up correctly. How about clear out an area around your chair, get a broomstick, make like you're in a kayak, and "row" your way through a sitcom on tv! (Hey, I might even try that myself!)

Beth
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: just saw allt he other replys on zumba and wheelchair exercises! how did I not think of looking those up? lol maybe its the lack of sleep. I also have a 7 month old baby who wakes me up about 7 times a night! thanks again everyone! great ideas.

Wow, I just wanted to say I love your positive attitude and how you are looking for what you CAN do, rather than worrying about things you can't,. especially with having a young baby and little sleep. You are going to do so well on here :)
  • Ketotaz
    Ketotaz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You all rock!! thank you!! such great ideas! can't wait to try them :D