Low Carb Calorie Counting?

Options
Hey all - I've been low carbing since September 26th and feeling great! So far I have been trying to make sure I stay netting under 1200 cals with my exercise...

I was just wondering, do you pay super close attention to YOUR calorie intake as a low carber? Or are you less strict? I know you can't go to hell with the joke and consume 4000 cals a day but, thoughts?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i don't think you should me eating under 1200, with exercise

Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm less strict. Diary is public if you want to take a gander :)
  • wendylady76
    Options
    Heya,

I've been eating back my exercise cals so generally I'm actually taking in anywhere between 1500-1800 cals a day but exercising off 300-600 depending on my calorie intake. I try to exercise to make sure I net under 1200.

My BMI is 23 so I'm not overweight anymore... But I still would like to drop another 6 pounds.
  • creams224
    creams224 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i don't think you should me eating under 1200, with exercise

Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

**just wanted to ask/mention that the famine response (starvation mode) does not exist. I tried to look it up, let me know your sources..I would love to read on the famine response as I tend to eat 1200-1400 cal/day and worry I'm putting myself in this response..

thank you!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do count mine and I'm usually anywhere between 1200 and 1500. I don't eat if I'm not hungry just for the sake of getting calories in. If I feel like I need food I eat and log it. If I don't feel like I need food, I don't eat.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My understanding- and I ain't an expert- is that starvation mode does exist, but perhaps not as popularly imagined. In essence, if you starve the body, ie you reduce calorie intake to below what the body needs to run itself without using its own fuel sources, your body will compensate by slowing down your metabolism. You will feel more lethargic and/or be hungrier, because your body wants to preserve the status quo, ie to keep the fat stores you have rather than burn them.

As far as I know there is no "magic number" of calories where this slowdown kicks in. Even if there were a "moment", rather than a gradual increase/decrease in slowdown depending on calories in, the metabolic differences between individuals would, I imagine, make such a number impossible to calculate. I believe (I may be wrong) that "starvation mode" was observed in the Minnesota starvation study, during which male participants were eating 1500kcal a day. All ended up painfully skinny.

Basically it's about your body's unwavering battle to maintain homeostasis. It's also all linked in with hormones and other things I'm not educated enough to follow. Is it something for the dieter to worry about? In my complete layman's opinion, probably not. As unhealthy as they are, crash low-calorie diets do make people lose weight. That they gain it back afterwards is irrelevant- the point is you can lose weight by starving yourself (sounds obvious, right?). If you're eating too few calories a day I would imagine the effects of malnutrition (as opposed to subnutrition) would be a greater cause for concern.
  • wendylady76
    Options
    Somehow we got onto speaking about starvation and low cal diets which isn't exactly what I was going for.

What I've heard is that low carb eaters aren't too consumed with eating a higher amount of calories than those who aren't low carb eaters. I was just wondering how many low carbers out there tend to follow this practice in not worrying too much about being in calorie deficit.

For the last five weeks I've made sure to be in my calorie deficit after eating back my exercise calories so I net close to 1200 a day. What I'm asking, I suppose, is whether or not I would have to worry about gaining weight if I stopped obsessing about the 1200 mark and ended up at 1500-1600 mark given my low carb eating style.
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As a carboholic, my meal plan is low carb. Definitely do the calories to boot...I can very easily boost those calories off the chart....I personally have to do both. Keeping in mind to eat only healthy carbs.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Somehow we got onto speaking about starvation and low cal diets which isn't exactly what I was going for.

What I've heard is that low carb eaters aren't too consumed with eating a higher amount of calories than those who aren't low carb eaters. I was just wondering how many low carbers out there tend to follow this practice in not worrying too much about being in calorie deficit.

For the last five weeks I've made sure to be in my calorie deficit after eating back my exercise calories so I net close to 1200 a day. What I'm asking, I suppose, is whether or not I would have to worry about gaining weight if I stopped obsessing about the 1200 mark and ended up at 1500-1600 mark given my low carb eating style.

Calorie deficit is what causes weight loss --- not whether you eat low carb. I've been eating low carb for years and you still have to watch calories. If you wait 2500 calories of pure protein and fat and no carbs -- you're going to gain.

If I were you, I would just re-evaluate your goals (1200 is probably too low) and redo them choosing to lose 1/2 lb a week --- you'll probably be closer to a 1400 net then anyway. If you only have 6 lbs to lose, its unlikely 1200 is the right number to begin with. Then you can change your diary settings to to reflect your lifestyle better -- mine as currently 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat --
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a shade under 1200 calories net is starvation, if the OP is a lightly built petite woman. This is where rules of thumb show how rough and ready they are.

When I was in my weight loss phase, I was eating 1500 cal a day and I was often under 1200 on my net calories. HOWEVER, MY MAINTENANCE CALORIES ARE 1570, so for someone of my height and weight to lose weight I have to shoot for 1200 net calories a day. For a large man even 1500+ cals/day net would be starvation, but for smaller women 1200 cals/day may be the only way the weight comes off.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have my calorie limit at 4,000 per day. It's SO much less stressful trying to stay under my calorie goal this way and I can spend my time eating instead of worrying and starving.
  • wendylady76
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the replies :)

I dropped my weight loss goal to 1 pound per week given the 5 pounds I have left. I'm now at 1280 cals net a day with a less vigorous workout schedule. Six 45 minute workouts a week now as opposed to Six 1 hour workouts. I also set my carb intake to 20%.

10223953.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the replies :)

I dropped my weight loss goal to 1 pound per week given the 5 pounds I have left. I'm now at 1280 cals net a day with a less vigorous workout schedule. Six 45 minute workouts a week now as opposed to Six 1 hour workouts. I also set my carb intake to 20%.

10223953.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

With only 5lbs to lose you should choose 1/2lb a week --- you want this to be something very close to maintenance so you know you can do it ongoing and not feel deprived.
  • wendylady76
    Options
    I'll see how I feel after a week. My exercise allows me to eat quite a bit while netting 1280 cals. I've had a massive amount of food today and all of it quite satisfying while keeping my carb intake to 55 grams. :)
  • caitindabx
    Options
    I was actually about to post a similar question so i'm glad i stumbled upon this!

I have been trying the low carb thing for the past 3 weeks and have seen results while keeping my calories around 1200. My calories can vary drastically though. Occasionally I am under 1000 because I'm simply not hungry where other times I get up to 1500. I definitely thing it's important to watch your calories too while doing low carb. I think you should naturally be eating less calories when you cut out the carbs and increase the protein since you will feel fuller.

This weekend my calories spiked big time. I had a few drinks (carb spike) and ate more than i usually do. I am paranoid that this is going to throw my progress off after doing so well for 3 weeks. If calorie counting is still important on low carb diets what happens when you have a sudden spike in carbs and calories?
  • MrsCurtisinTX
    MrsCurtisinTX Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do not track my calories. I am usually within my limits. If I'm hungry I eat. If I'm not I don't. Although, I make a very conscious effort not to skip meals. Weekends are harder for me because I'm constantly on the go and believe it or not sometimes forget to eat. As far as starvation mode goes I haven't ever really had that issue low-carbing. I have had plateaus before but that is not very often. I think that everyone's body reacts different and what may be considered to few calories for one person may not be the same for the other. I rarely eat back my calories unless I'm just starving. I think its one of those things you have to play around with and see what works best of you.

Have a gret day!
  • smairi
    smairi Posts: 10
    Options
    I am doing the Zone figures of 40:30:30 and staying within my calorie counts. I'm 20 days in, and for me, the biggest benefit of low carbing it is hunger control. I am a carb binger from way back but lately, I have just moved on. I keep my protein high, include it at every meal, and I don't even miss the carbs. I don't crave pizza or potato chips, and when I am full, I am FULL and just don't want to eat anymore.
    This is hugely weird for me, as my eating is usually really out of control. Without low carbs, I can blow through 2000 calories in a day and be looking for more. With high protein and low carb, 1400 satifies and then some. No crankies, no tiredness...I missed carbs for about the first 3 days, then was fine.
    Last night we had a dinner party; I ate dinner and then didn't eat dessert - because I didn't want it. Mind blowing - it's like I've been taken over by the low carb Pod People. I was full, and just moved on, no obsessing or anything.
    So I guess I am low carb counting calories but feeling satisfied with less so not struggling to stay within my limits.
  • wendylady76
    Options
    Last night we had a dinner party; I ate dinner and then didn't eat dessert - because I didn't want it. Mind blowing - it's like I've been taken over by the low carb Pod People. I was full, and just moved on, no obsessing or anything.
    So I guess I am low carb counting calories but feeling satisfied with less so not struggling to stay within my limits.

I am the same way - I'm not really missing dessert so much either. I'm not missing sugar like I thought I would. I did treat myself a little over a week ago since I made my dad a caramel apple pie cheesecake for his birthday. I decided I would have a piece as a reward for being so good for 4 weeks. That would have been fine, but my mum made pumpkin cinnamon rolls with cinnamon icing and I thought... Well, ok... If I'm going to cheat I may as well CHEAT. BIG MISTAKE! I ended up bloated and feeling miserably nauseous! Not fun!