C25K week 5

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm so proud of us all for getting so far! Well done. We're more than half way through now too!

For week 5 each run is different and it includes the dreaded 20 minute run! I know a lot of you feel ready for it - but I definitely don't. Hopefully I'll be OK :/

THE RULES FOR WEEK 5:

DAY 1:

- Brisk walk 5 mins (warm up)

- Jog 5 mins
- Walk 3 mins
- Jog 5 mins
- Walk 3 mins
- Jog 5 mins

- Walk 5 mins (cool down)

DAY 2:

- Jog 8 mins
- Walk 5 mins
- Jog 8 mins

DAY 3:

- Jog 20 mins

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Replies

• Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My 20min run is this weekend. I hope it goes okay. The first 2 days were much easier than I expected, I hope all of you find the same! :)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I only start week 5 on sunday, but everythings been going well so I don't anticipate day 1 and 2 being a problem. Day 3 is however, as Fit4 says, the dreaded one! Hopefully the two mini step-up will prepare us thoroughly. Would have thought so, otherwise this would be a ten or 11 week program :)
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I am looking forward to Week 5 Day 1 b/c I know I can do it. Did it last week so I can do it this week.
    However, W5 Day 2 & Day 3 are freaking me out !!
    I don't know if I can push it from 5 min to 8 min. Not trying to be a Debbie-Downer here but EEK!

Then the dreaded leap from 8 min to 20 min....OMG.:noway:

Remember that wall you were talking about, Russell? I think Week 5 is going to be my wall.
    Might have to slow it down to build up more to this Week 5 Day 2 & 3...yikes...making this like you said, " a 10 or 11 week program" for me at least.

Everyone is doing so well and such an inspiration....I look forward to hearing how you all did.
    Keep pushing forward...:flowerforyou:
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 completed bright and early this morning. I was going to be coached, but that's now moved to Thursday, the dreaded 20 minutes. Journal entry as usual at the link below, though bear with me as I'm yet to type it up!
  • Play_outside
    Options
    Don't dread the increased times! I still have 75lbs of extra weight and I didn't really struggle with the up to 8 minutes or the 20minutes! I did my 20min run last night and it felt awesome! :D You can do it!!!
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Finished Wk5D1 this afternoon. I went ahead and kept walking and jogging intermittently until I reached 3.2 miles. It was 3 minutes faster than the one day I did it last week, so progress. I'm looking forward to finding out if I can accomplish a time that isn't embarrassing by the time we finish week 9 because right now....... PlayingOutside - I'm very excited that you didn't have any trouble completing day 2 and 3. It's very encouraging. Russell - Good job as usual! Everyone else - It really wasn't bad at all! Looking forward to seeing your posts in the next day or so!
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options
    I haven't done day 1 yet, my days are M W and F... but I had a little bit of an encouragement today. I love doing step, but haven't done it in about a month, since I've been doing C25K and 30DS... today, I felt like doing step. The first 20 minutes I did the platform only, and it was so unchallenging, that I ended up putting in a riser, and even then I was not dying. I always died a little with the riser. I feel like the running is really pushing me past my comfort zone with the cardio, and today I was really reaping the benefits of it, and had to push myself to feel exerted. I am actually looking forward to my run tomorrow, I feel very positive!!!
  • rildev03
    rildev03 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1-check! I feel like I can run more than the segments, but I don't. I probably could up my pace a little but I don't want to get discouraged. I did up the last 5 minutes today. It started sprinkling then turned to full on rain shower. It wasn't bad until the cool down when the wind picked up and was blowing the rain sideways-of course right into my face. I am actually looking forward to the 20 minutes to prove to myself I can do it. My body knows it, now just need to convince my head!
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    Journal of yesterday now posted
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Gorgeous cool crisp Fall morning...
    Just got back from my C25K Week 5 Day 1 run and I couldn't wait to tell you all what we did.
    I decided to NOT clock it the same way today.

I set my HRM and I set my stopwatch at each interval.
    We did the 5min warm up.
    We started the first interval and when we got to the usual 5 min. place ( where we cross a creek ) I told my Dd, "lets see if we can make it to the stop-sign" ( twice the distance ).
    WE MADE IT!!! When we got there I looked at my stopwatch and we had been running 10min without stopping.
    We were THRILLED and amazed.
    We walked up through the alley and the backside of a subdivision and then once out on the flat again I set my stopwatch again and we took off.
    We took it slow and steady and talked and by the time we made it out of the residential area, through the business parking lot, past the fairgrounds, and down the hill to the stop-sign ....we had been running steadily for 16minutes.
    OMG!!!!
    We ran steadily for 10 min AND 16min today... A -MA-ZING!!!
    We walked the rest of the way home for our cool down.

I am going to time it this way from now on ...It WORKS!

Congrats to everyone so far - we are doing this! Really doing it!

Keep pushing forward.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was a little behind all of you guys starting out but then I had to take a short break due to knee pain. I was trying to do it everyday instead of skipping days and I guess I over did it. So I went back from W3 down to W2 and I just did W3D1 (again) today. It was pretty hard but reading through all your posts for each week has been very encouraging and I am looking forward to getting through it and I hope I have as much success as you all have been having.

Keep up the good work! I am looking forward to hearing how eveeryone does with that 20 min run!!

Becky
  • BossyButterfly
    Options
    I'm on Wk2D2, again I can't seem to stay motivated to get past week 4 but hearing that all of you have made it is awesome. I also think part of my problem is the area I am running in, very hillly. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options
    W5D1 - done! =0)

My HRM says i burned over 550 calories in just this time... me thinks it's broken...MFP says roughly half that... which one shall I believe?

I'm pretty sure the HRM is borken because after I changed out the battery the time is always ahead and right now it says it is April 12th... hmmmm LOL.
  • donorwoman
    donorwoman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just found this post. Never ran-was just talking to my husband about how I would love to learn but very intrepid about it. Anyway this can be explained to me and maybe you let me knwo how it starts/ It really seems like Kismet or something that I should finally voice my interest in this for the first time in my life and then see this post today. Thanks.
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options
    Just found this post. Never ran-was just talking to my husband about how I would love to learn but very intrepid about it. Anyway this can be explained to me and maybe you let me knwo how it starts/ It really seems like Kismet or something that I should finally voice my interest in this for the first time in my life and then see this post today. Thanks.

The program we're following is called C25K which stands for 'Couch to 5K'. It is a 9 week program that is designed for non runners to get them to run 5K. Speaking for myself, I am definitely a non runner!!!

You can search our other weeks using the same title as for week 5. So for example week 1 thread was called 'C25K week 1' The first thread for each week describes what the runs are that week.

You are to run 3 times per week, on alternating day. Always give your body a day of rest between your runs. Most weeks, you run the same intervals on each running day. For example on week one you run 1 minute and then walk 1 minute, and you repeat this 8 times.

We are on week 5, which is unique, because this week each day has a different running interval. Day 1, which most of us are completing now, you run 5 minutes then walk for 3, and you repeat this 3 times. On day 2, you run for 8 minutes, walk for 3 (or 5) and then run for 8 minutes again. Then on day 3 your run 20 minutes straight... Needless to say, this is a HUGE week for us.

If you have a smart phone you can get an app that will tell you when to run/walk. Otherwise, you just time yourself.

Start with week 1 and don't get discouraged. You don't have to race, you are just running at your own pace. On day 1 of week 1 I could not even complete the last 4 running intervals.... and today I ran for 5 minutes straight... 3 times!!! It can be done! Good luck!
  • fit4travels
    Options
    W5D1 done! I was battling a stitch the whole time and I've caught a cold which made the run not so enjoyable. BUT I did it!!!! I'm going to give myself a few days break to get over my cold and then on to day 2.

Well done everyone, you're doing so great!
  • Play_outside
    Options
    Awesome! sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather-good call to take a few days off. Glad to hear you still managed your run despite that! :)
    W5D1 done! I was battling a stitch the whole time and I've caught a cold which made the run not so enjoyable. BUT I did it!!!! I'm going to give myself a few days break to get over my cold and then on to day 2.

• russelljclarke
    Options
    All you need to know is here: http://www.c25k.com/

Good luck!
  • russelljclarke
    Options

Well done Fit, you're an inspiring leader!
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Wow Fit ! Good for you doing it even when you don't feel well. Take those few days to get well and strong and come back for Day2.
    You are doing great and you make a great leader.:flowerforyou:

Keep pushing forward.