Should I try a carb sensitive diet?

Options
Ok so I started my "lifestyle change" about a month ago. I feel like I have made a lot of changes.... still having problems on the weekend though but managing. last week I walk the track 3 days. I am pretty much staying around 190 (which I have not recorded because last time I was at 190 I went back up to 194) so this morning I was 190 again. I feel no difference in my clothes though. So I was reading a curves book and it said if the 1200 calorie plan didn't work, switch to the carb sensitve plan. Which cuts out breads and pastas and all that stuff. I find it hard to just eat salads and veggies. I also eat a turkey on wheat sandwich for lunch everyday because its easy and cheap for work. What do y'all think about switching to low carb diet for a week or so?

Replies

• krl523
    krl523 Posts: 53
    Options
    Yes you should. It was also recommended to me by my doctor. Carbs turn into sugar..and sugar should be avoided. Good luck with your results! :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Carbs are an important part of this lifestyle.

Read this and you'll see why.

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/carbohydrates.html

How do carbohydrates give us energy?
    As carbohydrates are digested and broken down by the body, they are converted into glucose (blood sugar), which is then used or stored as energy.

If the glucose is not needed immediately, it will be stored in a person's liver and muscles as glycogen, which is the storage form of glucose.

When the body then needs some extra energy, it will turn to the glycogen reserves and convert them into energy.
  • Kina7381
    Kina7381 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different...but I've noticed that if I stay away from carbs I tend to lose weight faster. I say give it a try and see how you do. You shouldn't cut out ALL carbs...just the bad stuff. White rice, white bread etc.
  • ashnm88
    Options
    You shouldn't cut out ALL carbs...just the bad stuff. White rice, white bread etc.

"Good" carbohydrates are:

Bran, wheat germ, wholemeal bread, brown rice, potatoes, all forms of pasta but especially wholemeal pasta, barley, oats, lentils, chickpeas, beans, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, wholegrain cereals such as Weetabix, muesli, All bran, brown breads, root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, leeks and radishes.

"Bad" carbohydrates are:

Sweets, sugary breakfast cereals, cakes, pastries, syrup, table sugar (sucrose), fizzy drinks, biscuits, chocolate.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Do you eat your alotted MFP calories everyday?
    Do you eat back the calories you burn?

Should probably ask those questions before answering. If you are not taking in enough calories your body goes into starvation mode and you will not lose the weight.
  • kathylynn8
    kathylynn8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree that our bodies need some carbs (GOOD carbs!) Maybe you could try what I do...I eat good carbs for breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack, then avoid them the rest of the day. It really seems to be working.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    99% of the people who think they are carb sensitive because when they eat carbs, their weights goes up. They don't understand the difference between water weight and fat weight and immediately freak out when the scale weight goes up, even when they know they are eating at a deficit.

Eat your carbs. They don't make you fat, excess calories do, regardless of macro-nutrient type.
  • ashnm88
    Options
    Eat your carbs. They don't make you fat, excess calories do, regardless of macro-nutrient type.

Agree!
  • TeeA86
    TeeA86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes you should. It was also recommended to me by my doctor. Carbs turn into sugar..and sugar should be avoided. Good luck with your results! :)

Thanks.
  • TeeA86
    Options
    Carbs are an important part of this lifestyle.

Read this and you'll see why.

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/carbohydrates.html

How do carbohydrates give us energy?
    As carbohydrates are digested and broken down by the body, they are converted into glucose (blood sugar), which is then used or stored as energy.

If the glucose is not needed immediately, it will be stored in a person's liver and muscles as glycogen, which is the storage form of glucose.

When the body then needs some extra energy, it will turn to the glycogen reserves and convert them into energy.

Thanks. I will def be reading that link.
  • genthel
    genthel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can be carb sensitive which means not eating a bunch of the bad stuff and watching your serving size on carbs that you would like to keep in your diet - potatoes, rice, pasta etc. There is nothing wrong with having the turkey sandwich for lunch. I would set a maximum daily carb intake amount and just stay under...like you have done for calories etc. Everyone is different but I personally like to stay under or near 100-125 carbs a day. You can be carb sensitive and still incorporate some stuff that you like into your diet. I think sensitive is the key word.
  • TeeA86
    Options
    Everyone is different...but I've noticed that if I stay away from carbs I tend to lose weight faster. I say give it a try and see how you do. You shouldn't cut out ALL carbs...just the bad stuff. White rice, white bread etc.

Thanks. I have pretty much cut those out though.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Quite honestly I think going low carb for just a week would be a waste of time. You've worked too hard to gain it back when you go back to your carbs.

I would suggest a not necessarily low CARB diet but a very low GRAIN diet. Still, only doing it for a week isn't going to do you any favors. Good luck!
  • ashnm88
    Options
    Welcome...helped me understand carbs better. Now I know which ones to eat.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    No I wouldn't recommend carb sensitive if you're not losing anymore weight there is truly only one answer and that is to lower your caloric intake. That paired with an extra exercise day a week will surely have you losing numbers on the scale rather quickly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What do y'all think about switching to low carb diet for a week or so?

If you are trying it for a week or so to determine if it is workable for you long term, then sure, why not give it a try. But if you are thinking of switching to it for a week or so with the intent of switching back, I doubt there is much point.
  • TeeA86
    Options
    You shouldn't cut out ALL carbs...just the bad stuff. White rice, white bread etc.

"Good" carbohydrates are:

Bran, wheat germ, wholemeal bread, brown rice, potatoes, all forms of pasta but especially wholemeal pasta, barley, oats, lentils, chickpeas, beans, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, wholegrain cereals such as Weetabix, muesli, All bran, brown breads, root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, leeks and radishes.

"Bad" carbohydrates are:

Sweets, sugary breakfast cereals, cakes, pastries, syrup, table sugar (sucrose), fizzy drinks, biscuits, chocolate.

Thanks. See all of the bad carbs you have listed I have cut out....except I did eat a biscuit this week end. I have been drinking water and an occasional fruit juice.
  • TeeA86
    Options
    Do you eat your alotted MFP calories everyday?
    Do you eat back the calories you burn?

Should probably ask those questions before answering. If you are not taking in enough calories your body goes into starvation mode and you will not lose the weight.

Not every day. The days I do, I go over....not by much but still over. Thank you.
  • TeeA86
    Options
    I agree that our bodies need some carbs (GOOD carbs!) Maybe you could try what I do...I eat good carbs for breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack, then avoid them the rest of the day. It really seems to be working.

Hmmm. So like no carbs for dinner.... sounds easy. I might try this for a week or two and see if anything changes. Thanks.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant, and the carbs do affect those of us with this issue. I've found that as long as my carbs are complex carbs and accompanied with some fats, protein and fiber, I do okay.