HCG Diet- Has anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Its called EXERCISE and HEALTHY eating. You only have 20lbs to go. Gees just do it the RIGHT way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I tried it. I was starving, my hair fell out, and I had zero energy. I wouldn't recommend it unless you do it under doctor supervision, and only then if you have a lot to lose.
    I would totally get a new doctor if mine ever suggested this...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea. Now then...
    10980641.jpg

LOL too funny!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is a good thread on HCG. Essentially, you will lose weight but a large portion will be muscle loss, which will destroy your metabolism, can lead to issues with organs, hairloss, etc.. In my opinion, any diet plan that has side affects is not worth doing. I am assuming you are doing this pre wedding, my best advice, get a workout program like p90x, insanity or turbo fire. YOu can build muscle and lose inches and look 100 x better than with HCG.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356410-hcg-diet
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    HCG_again.jpg

It's bad news. Stay as far away from it as possible.

You would be just as succesful pouring your money down the drain and eating the 500 calories.

Eat right and exercise is the sensible and safe way to lose weight.
  • Amymhis
    Amymhis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    desperate because I am stuck and have already pushed back my engagement pictures because of my weight, next thing will be pushing back my wedding!!! LOL
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    desperate because I am stuck and have already pushed back my engagement pictures because of my weight, next thing will be pushing back my wedding!!! LOL

uh sweetie you're gorgeous and you're going to make a beautiful bride. You look very fit. And I'm sure you and your future husband would rather see a HEALTHY curvy bride rather than a skinny, malnourished bride with her hair falling out! Honestly we women put so much stress on ourselves to look like super models!!! Stop stressing and enjoy this time in your life! Exciting things are happening! Just eat healthy with sensible portions and exercise and you will be a healthy beautiful bride!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Overweight people can't get married?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I did, but to be fair there was some paperwork involved, so maybe that was my waiver.
  • MindiKat
    Options

I did, but to be fair there was some paperwork involved, so maybe that was my waiver.

And here I thought I did it young because you had to be young and stupid to get married, now I know it was because I was still skinny. Just kidding!

You look gorgeous already and he will love you regardless if he's a smart man, but I understand wanting to be beautiful in your own mind for that special day but weddings are stressful enough take care of yourself.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    The pee? No, I'm not really fond of pee.

I know someone who did it, and she bounced right back to her initial weight.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I would not even consider a diet that allowed me only 500 calories.

I like to eat food, workout and lose weight.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think dr's generally will only 'recommend' the HCG diet for people who have a *lot* of weight to lose - not just 20 lbs. Many people think it's a bad idea period b/c of the super-low cal diet that you are supposed to adhere to while on the hormones, I guess the logic of 'allowing' people with lots of weight to lose to do it is that they have a lot of fat that can be burned off for energy while they are getting so very very very little energy from the small amount of calories they're allowed to eat. Even among people who have done the HCG plan and feel it worked for them, I'm not sure if they'd think it's a good idea for someone that has only 20 lbs to lose. I came to the site planning to lose 40 lbs (to get right in the middle of my recommended BMI weight range), I've already lost 20 and I think my family would have me committed if I told them I wanted to do a 500 calorie a day HCG diet to lose the last 20. It's just not a healthy way to do it. I know it's really frustrating when you're fairly close to where you want to be but feel like it's still so far away, but it can be done with healthy eating/limits and exercise without subjecting yourself to unnecessary hormones and extreme diets. Heck, OP you can even friend me if you want someone to friend that has 20 lbs to lose like you. I have 19 left currently. I would love to help support you in reaching your goals in a safe and healthy way. We can celebrate victories and vent about hard days. The closer you get to your goal weight, the more work it takes, but it can be done. MFP is not about crashing your way to skinniness, it's about learning a healthy lifestyle and strategies to help stay that way once you get where you want to be. The HCG thing may help jumpstart very overweight/obese people toward that direction (in a very controversial way), but I honestly don't feel it's a great way to try and end your journey when you have so little left to go.
  • tasnim81
    tasnim81 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about this diet, but I did do a diet once where I ate only about 500 calories by day, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I still remember being so hungry and tired all the time, and really wondering WHY I was losing so much hair...

Not surprisingly I gained all the weight back + 40 pounds and here I am.

Healthy eating and exercise is the only way...
  • cscrivner2010
    Options
    ???
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have 7 more days of a 21 day round. I have NOT lost any hair ( I take Biotin for healthy hair, skin and nails ) and I have lost just under 10 pounds. I stalled at 169lbs for 2 weeks, went to my local health food store and bought the HCG. I had immediate results and it is great to see the scale move. The thing about this diet is that YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THROUGH if you start it. There are 4 different phases that you have to follow to the word ~or~ you WILL gain your weight back. It is no different than any other diet in that respect. If you go on a zero carb diet and then pound your body with carbs when you get to your goal weight, you WILL gain your weight back... and then some. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out and I know that it is easy to put down the HCG diet , but in all reality, it is no different than any other plan that requires you to follow it to the letter. When I am done with the 21 days, I do plan to continue my journey losing my weight the low calorie and exercise way. It broke my stall and I am happy for that. Would I suggest you do this plan needing to lose only 20 pounds? Probably not. There is too much involved for you to try to cut out carbs and sweets for 3 to four months ( whatever you choose to do ) and then try to introduce the sugars and starches back in to your diet slowly while you will be so nervous about planning the best day of your life. I say stick to a nice low calorie diet 1200~1600 and EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE.!!! Enjoy your cake on the day of your wedding w / o worrying about any type of gain. Good luck to you sweetie!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ^ and the problem with hcg or low cal and high exercise is you destroy muscle mass with is the control mechanism for so many bodily functions. And what makes people look good is muscle. Hcg burns more muscle than fat. If you dont believe me measure your body fat before and after the program.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Seriously.. You pushed back your pictures because of your weight.. that is just stupid girl!

Your fiancee is marrying you because of who you are.. not because of what you look like! Get the pictures done, and keep plugging away.. HCG is not the answer!
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    stinger_03.jpg

Ready.. aim...
    This actually made me say "LOL" while sitting at my desk. Oh, what good times that was!
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add real quick, my meals for the day for those of you that think that the people on HCG do not eat.
    Breakfast : 1 egg 2 egg whites mixed in a cup of spinach w/ green tea and 1 pack of stevia in the raw.
    Lunch : 4 oz. of chicken breast , 1 cup of broccoli and 100g or about 6 cut up strawberries. Green tea w/ stevia.
    Dinner : Tilapia 5oz. w/ a sliced green apple and brussels sprouts. Sleepy~time green tea w/ stevia.
    Water w/ lemon : ALL DAY LONG.
    Nobody can sit here and say that I do not eat.... I just eat clean and healthy. Am I a bad person for that? I think not. People on here think they know what is best for everyone when in all reality, it is just YOUR opinion of what you only read about and what you choose to believe. So I choose to not eat a bag of Halloween candy today like a lot of you are doing (and will pay dearly for the next few days in the gym) and I choose to not give in to the endless list of desserts in the foods on MFP... that does not make me a bad person. Does it make you a bad person? No... because that is your choice and you will pay the price in the gym. You people are just too hard on people who choose to make an adult decision on HCG when in all reality, it is no different than any other diets out there. Most of you choose the 1200~2000 calorie diet way and exercise. How do you think these people that do the HCG WITH NO LEGS feel when you put maybe their only hope of losing weight down? GOD JUDGES ME... NOT YOU!
This discussion has been closed.