I have a cold!

Options
I have had a cold for almost 2 weeks and I am hating it because everyone is telling me to not workout while I am sick it will only make it worse, so I haven't. Are they right?

Replies

• judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are definitely right....your body needs rest.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If it's just a head cold and you've got no fever, it shouldn't be a problem. Of course it might be hard to breathe if you're stuffed up!
  • caseytcollins
    Options
    I have had one too. I think that if your body is saying you are not up for it, then don't. I have cut back on working out while sick to about three times a week. I only have gone when I have felt really up to it. Listen to your body. Hope you feel better soon!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I recommend you don't go to the gym and spread your germs around. If you feel up to it, you can do a workout at home, though.
  • CherylM2015
    CherylM2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If it's just a cold from the neck -up then you're fine to workout if you feel like you have the energy. However, it the cold is from your neck-down and it affecting your lungs, then you should rest.

I had asked the same question when I was sick to the trainers are my gym.

I hope you're feeling better soon!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I recommend you don't go to the gym and spread your germs around. If you feel up to it, you can do a workout at home, though.

I agree - I'd maybe tone down work outs until you are feeling better, but I alwys stay away from the gym when i am sick.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If it's just a cold from the neck -up then you're fine to workout if you feel like you have the energy. However, it the cold is from your neck-down and it affecting your lungs, then you should rest.

I had asked the same question when I was sick to the trainers are my gym.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Fever? Stay home. Cold? Definitely exercise but not as much (less intensity and/or less days) unless you are feeling up to it. Just make sure you drink extra amounts of water and take some Vitamin C too. I have been sick myself last week which has turned into a cold and I surprised myself how well I could do at the gym today. Sure I felt weaker and tired easier but I know I did my body good. I just toned it down a bit and was fine. Cover up and stay warm when you leave the gym if you live where it is cold. Two week of no exercise for a cold is self-defeating.