Phentermine

Options
Ok... so my dr. put me on Phentermine to help control my appetite (I don't eat much anyway) because he said I need to lose weight because I'm fatigued, etc (Really, all symptoms of hypothyroidism but he doesn't want to test). I ate twice today and maybe two or three bites. No real meal. I've been really excited (not jittery or hyper). Called dr. and he said cut it in half. I'm SO afraid of rebounding once I'm off of it. It's not like I'm not working out and eating right because I am but I can't lose weight. Is Phentermine really neccessary? Will it really help me lose weight and change my habits or will it starve my body and make me rebound?

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Coming off of speed will introduce you to a whole new level of fatigue. Phentermine is prescription speed - as evidenced by your lack of appetite and excitability.

I would seriously question this doctor.

Wholesome whole foods with adequate nutrition, sufficient sleep, and regular exercise will alleviate the fatigue AND help you lose weight. Phentermine will not help you learn any new habits - as soon as you quit taking it, you will crash and you will be right back where you were when you started.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Did you have trouble controlling your appetite before the meds? If, as you say, you don't eat much, then I don't see why you need an appetite suppressant. Maybe I'm missing something here?
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If your doctor wont' test for Thryoid trouble I'd find another Doc PDQ! You need 2nd opion.!
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    With only needing to lose 39 pounds and already not eating a lot, I find it fishy your doctor put you on a weight loss drug. Plus, he wouldn't test for for something that you think he should?? I would speak with another physician. I think it sounds like a bad plan.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Coming off of speed will introduce you to a whole new level of fatigue. Phentermine is prescription speed - as evidenced by your lack of appetite and excitability.

Wholesome whole foods with adequate nutrition, sufficient sleep, and regular exercise will alleviate the fatigue AND help you lose weight. Phentermine will not help you learn any new habits - as soon as you quit taking it, you will crash and you will be right back where you were when you started.

This.

Also, any doc who doesn't want to test for thyroid issues is one to question. I had to have my thyroid checked before they'd put me on my anti depressants.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    And it causes bad breath.
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was on phentermine for 2 months it did help but as soon as I stopped taking it. (wasn't covered by insurance so it was out of pocket and I didn't have the $ to refill for a while after I ran out) I was so hungry I felt like I was starving. You know that saying "she's like an empty pit? that was me and I litteraly felt empty no matter how much I ate for about a week after I stopped taking it. Also before phentermine my heart rate was fine and now after ( I am not a dr so I am making a guess here) is really high so high and uncontrolable I am now taking meds to slow down my heart. at a rest in the dr's office for over an hour it was in the 170's. It didn't work well for or with me. I would get a new dr! Cuz even when my dr prescribed it he did a blood panel first to make sure it wasn't my thyroid.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok... so my dr. put me on Phentermine to help control my appetite (I don't eat much anyway) because he said I need to lose weight because I'm fatigued, etc (Really, all symptoms of hypothyroidism but he doesn't want to test). I ate twice today and maybe two or three bites. No real meal. I've been really excited (not jittery or hyper). Called dr. and he said cut it in half. I'm SO afraid of rebounding once I'm off of it. It's not like I'm not working out and eating right because I am but I can't lose weight. Is Phentermine really neccessary? Will it really help me lose weight and change my habits or will it starve my body and make me rebound?

Sorry Hun, there's red flags all over this posts.

1- I would seriously question a Doctor who would prescribe a appetite suppressant to someone who already doesn't have a good appetite

2- He should be checking out your source of fatigue and if there is hypothyroidism

3- You don't have that much to loose to warrant such drastic measures as a drug for weight loss

Eat healthy well balanced meal with sensible portions and exercise, log everything, stay in your calorie goal and you will loose weight WITHOUT using phentermine
  • grneyedgf
    grneyedgf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It will only be effective for 3 months and it is used to help you change your diet without the hunger. If your not eating much as you say then you shouldn't use it. Go to a doctor who will test your thyroid. I have a thyroid problem and my doctor didn't want to put me on medication, even though I was gaining an average of 3 lb. every 2 weeks. I found one who listened and turns out I had ALL the symptoms. The phen will give you more energy, but again it is only a temporary solution to help you progress to an active lifestyle AND a healthy diet without constant hunger.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great doctor
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've seen him 4 times with the same complaint. 1) More sleep and less work; 2) Stop drinking so much caffiene; 3) Take B-12 (which made me sick to my stomach, etc with no help); 4) Phentermine and lose 40 lbs. See if losing some weight will help (I'VE BEEN TRYING!!!!!!!!) *I'm frustrated*

I just wish that I could see results with what I've been doing. Working out 3-4 days/week. Small meals 3-4 times/day. Kicked my Diet Dr. Pepper habit so only water and an occasional sweet tea. Limited sweets. I'm turning into a fat rabbit!!!!

The only reason I haven't found another doctor is because I just moved here and this is the dr. my husband goes to and there are so many to choose from. I don't want to take them but I don't want to go against a dr's orders. Does that make any sense???
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The only reason I haven't found another doctor is because I just moved here and this is the dr. my husband goes to and there are so many to choose from. I don't want to take them but I don't want to go against a dr's orders. Does that make any sense???

Find a new doctor, if there are so many to choose from you have many options.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you're fatigued and not eating enough you shouldn't take phentermine. I'm not a doctor and I can tell you that. I have a friend that didn't eat more than twice a day. She took phentermine and it made her FORGET to eat entirely. Result...she fainted while DRIVING. Luckily, her foot fell off of the excelerator. Am I trying to scare you into not taking this drug, yes I am. Find another doctor.

Eating more is a better option, taking B12 is a better option, taking iron is a better option. Taking phentermine is not.
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Your doctor's a ****ing quack. You have 39 pounds to lose. You're not morbidly obese.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've seen him 4 times with the same complaint. 1) More sleep and less work; 2) Stop drinking so much caffiene; 3) Take B-12 (which made me sick to my stomach, etc with no help); 4) Phentermine and lose 40 lbs. See if losing some weight will help (I'VE BEEN TRYING!!!!!!!!) *I'm frustrated*

I just wish that I could see results with what I've been doing. Working out 3-4 days/week. Small meals 3-4 times/day. Kicked my Diet Dr. Pepper habit so only water and an occasional sweet tea. Limited sweets. I'm turning into a fat rabbit!!!!

Doctors aren't gods. You can disobey and disagree. Please find a new one that will actually test you for things you have a legitimate reason to be concerned about.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    question your Dr. seriously. get more than a second opinion. and get the heck off of speed! you are right to be concerned. best wishes.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to make this a lifelong change I would get off now! Be strong! You can push yourself to do anything u want!
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If your doctor wont' test for Thryoid trouble I'd find another Doc PDQ! You need 2nd opion.!

I agree! :noway:
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options

DITTO! Weight is a life style change not a new addiction!!!!
  • Redheadbkb
    Redheadbkb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Phentermine will not help you at all with your habits.

In addition, even FDA-approved weight loss drugs usually aren't safe. Pharmaceutical companies aren't obligated to publish trials in which they found negative side effects, or in which the drugs were shown to be only as effective as placebo.

Don't do it. Make him test for hypothyroidism, or go to another doctor. That's bad medicine, if he's really saying he won't do it.