Green Smoothie adventures! Or mis-adventures.

Options
I have just started taking part in the green smoothie craze- it's like juicing but since some of us are poor *le sigh* we instead take to our blenders instead of our juicers.
It's a bit contradictory (...I can't spell to save my life, don't hate me if some words are spelled incorrectly!) as to which one -juicing or smoothie-ing- is better for you: Some say that juicing is better because all you are drinking is literally THE JUICE so you are getting all of that nutrition; others say "what about the peel?!" and say that smoothie-ing is better because all of the structure in the greens isn't demolished therefore you get more of a 'cleansing effect'; etc etc the arguments go on an on.
Like I mentioned, I 'smoothie' simply because I own a blender, not a juicer.

Anyway; I wanted to come on here and see if anyone had any fabulous smoothie adventures of their own; currently I'm on a spinach kick for my 'green' in the green smoothie but I know the importance of rotating your greens. I love this green smoothie thing because there is so much you can do with it! There really isn't any right or wrong way to go about your smoothie. Well not really.

For example, yesterday I tried making my smoothie with strawberries, mango, banana, peach, spinach, and mustard greens.
I don't know what I was thinking, I was too far into my 'ADVENTURE!!!' frame of mind. I like mustard greens, in small amounts.
But in a smoothie where I put in a huge handful of the stuff, it was bad mojo.

It tasted like I was drinking a cold sweet soup followed by a ravenous aftertaste of liquid pepper.

Freakin' gnarly.

So...don't put mustard greens in your smoothie. Or if you are gung-ho about it (or have an intense love of pepper) then give it a go, let me know if you see any difference. =)

So does anyone else have green smoothie recipes they would like to share? Just remember the 'green' part means that it's not green food dye (ha) but actual greens of some sort. I'd love to hear them!!

Replies

• liaalyn
    liaalyn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to hear other peoples adventures too. I currently use 1 cup juice (whatever has the lowest sugar around the orange juice section) a handful of frozen fruits (peaches, strawberries, cherries...whatever) and a big handful of baby spinach (also my favorite) sounds a lot like yours. So good!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that smoothies are better... you said "juicing is better because all you are drinking is literally the juice so you are getting all of that nutrition"... to the contrary, I've read that when you juice something, all the good bits are taken out! Anyway, I digress...

I make smoothies all the frickin time and I love them!! I usually use a combo of coconut milk (from the can, not the box), frozen berries, almond butter and some greens. (usually spinach)

But, check out this website - he's usually got some interesting recipes to share. Click around the site for all the other recipes. I hope this helps!
    http://www.primaltoad.com/primal-smoothie-recipes/
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I make my smoothie with:

1 scoop chocolate whey protein mix
    1 cup soy milk
    1 banana
    1 cup chopped spinach or kale
    1 cup frozen strawberries

Sometimes, I nix the greens and the berries and add some peanut butter for a protein filled smoothie.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    A bowl of spinach and 2 bananas on 2 qts of water.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have only recently discovered green smoothies and now i'm a huge fan. I have even got my boyfriend onto them and we have them for breakfast every morning!

This morning my smoothie consisted of: mango, banana, kiwi fruit, a handful of spinach rocket and kale mix, bean shoots, chia seeds, protein powder and almond milk.

It was ok, but i've had better. I could really taste the bean shoots a lot and it was my first time having bean shoots in one before. i definitely prefer the spinach/kale/rocket mix or just plain spinach.

Another good green i've had is cucumber. My favourite (and first green smoothie) thus far would be:
    cucumber, mango, spinach, mint, chia, water, protein powder, ginger and lime juice. It had a lovely fresh tang.

I've also enjoyed pear in my smoothies although discovered that it is much better to peal them first otherwise they get this gritty texture which isn't great.

I'm sure green smoothies would be healthier than just juice as you get the fibre. Not that there is anything wrong with juice. But everyone always says eat the fruit over the juice, and that is what smoothies do. I'm sure though you could add some juice from things you can't really blend into a smoothie. Like celery. That is unless you have a very expensive, very enviable Vitamix which apparently can pulverise everything.

Yay for green smoothies!!!!
  • Ange_
    Options
    i forgot to say also, the green tops of strawberries also work well int smoothies. too.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Laursey's Green Smoothie:
    3 cups spinach
    1 frozen banana
    1 cup of strawberries
    1 cup of water
    Splash of orange juice

This is amazing! Only 214 calories for two large glasses. It's a great breakfast meal replacement!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    shoooot, I'm sorry, it looks like he's charging for his e-book now. didn't mean to promote something that wasn't free! yikes.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of kale in smoothies, as well as any kind of dark berry. Yum!!

My university has a smoothie place that often adds cabbage, and its been delicious so far, even though it seems counter-intuitive for some reason.

Love all the recipes so far!!
  • goodmonster
    Options
    Holy-!! So many fabulous things to try now and I've only posted in the last few minutes ;)
    Ya'll are awesome.

I also know how important it is to 'rotate your greens' (plus I'm terrified of getting bored of spinach...nnoo!) and since mustard greens is a terrible idea (ha) what are some other good subs for spinach?
    I know kale is a good one, I saw someone have an interesting idea of the tops of strawberries...?
  • little_gothic_girl
    little_gothic_girl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i tried green smoothies a few times and was really excited about it, but when i made them it was way way bitter and tasted alot like slightly sweet cucumber peel. Not impressed. i think i will just have to change around my recipes until i find one i like. i used apple, banana, soy milk, strawberries and once i used kale and once spinach. i read above someone using orange juice, i may try that, maybe the sweet would cut the bitter? and i think ill skip the banana next time. anyway, i will deff be checking back here to hear others adventures :)
  • goodmonster
    Options
    I know that 'funky green taste' isn't for everyone at first, and it is a strange thing your first few sips while you think "wait, I'm drinking a salad". =)
    Also if you're worried about the bitter taste you don't have to add as much green into it- that's the beauty of the adventure!

I've got a friend who also started the green smoothie conquest and thought her first smoothie was super icky; but cut back on her greens by about half (so hers was a small handful of kale instead of a whopping handful) and liked it much more.

Some stuff is a learned taste (like me with asparagus. I call it my 'big girl food' because I hated it at first. But I digress...) so keep trying!
  • Ange_
    Options
    It is scientifically proven that some people are 'Super tasters' when it comes to bitter taste (and other tastes too actually). This makes it very difficult for them to eat a lot of green veggies. I'm definitely not luckily and don't taste the spinach in smoothies at all.
    I imagine though that super tasters would have difficulties with green smoothies. I think probably adding more sugar (honey or something) might help although of course that is going to make it less healthy.

Although i haven't tried most of these (did try the strawberry tops and they were good), but i have read a lot about this and will be trying some of the following.
    Other things i've read you can use in smoothies:

Cooked sweet potato (apparently raw isn't good for you as it has some kind of protein absorbing blocking enzyme)
    Pumpkin
    Avocardo - make it very creamy

Other green things:
    Cucumber
    lettuce - all sorts although i believe iceberg doesn't have a lot of nutrients, but those frilly ones would be good
    Bok Choy (Pac Choy and all those other sorts of chinese green vegetables).
    sprouts (i didn't overly enjoy bean shoots, but i think that alpha might be nice, will try soon!)
    Silverbeat
    Beat tops (when you get the tops, the leaves that it comes with)
    Carrot tops (if you buy carrots with the tops included or grow your own)
    Fennel tops (yum... i love these in so many things. Tastes like aniseed a bit)

Sweet potato leaves (i have often used these as substitutes for spinach in salads)
    herbs such as mint, coriander etc. obviously these will create a strong taste in the smoothie
    Celery leaves (not the celery itself unless you have a vitamin, or juice it in a juicer)

i think just go to a grocery store (preferable a farmers market or asian grocery store if you are lucky enough to have one) and just buy random green things and try them out. Obviously oniony things wouldn't be good. But there are so many different kinds of lettuce and surely that would be rotating greens enough anyway.

Just don't try eating potato leaves as they are poisonous. I think also rubarb leaves might be too, so perhaps if you are going to try eating something unusual read up on it first.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, celery works great in smoothies. Just don't put more than three stalks in or your smoothie won't blend smooth.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    mmm green smoothies are good!!

I always throw a bunch of spinach into mine. I've experimented with different added ingredients but always stick with the spinach for that green injection!!

Other add ins:

Beetroot - you thought bright green was weird, try reddy brown!!
    Tofu
    avocado - soooo good
    chia seeds
    almond butter

I've heard of someone using purslane (sp?) but not sure what that is!

mmm tummy rumbling now
  • goodmonster
    Options
    ok wait hold up- what's chia seeds? (I know I should just google it but I like this method better =) )
  • uniquemoves
    uniquemoves Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    **bump**
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My favorite is:
    - pea and rice protein mix
    - chia seeds
    - peanut butter (optional depending on calories)
    - spinach or kale
    - frozen raspberries
    - almond milk
    - ice

I've also made really good smoothies with:
    - apple
    - raspberries
    - strawberries
    - beet juice
    - ice
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ok wait hold up- what's chia seeds? (I know I should just google it but I like this method better =) )

They're a seed, high in omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, and antioxidants. Like flaxseed but better because of the antioxidants. Also, they can make good egg substitutes when mixed with water.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i do smoothies and my juicer.. i am not an exclusive with either

subs for spinach though i love kale and collards..