Emotional Eating ... Have you conqured it?

Options
I'm a hopeless emotional eater ... I eat when I'm happy, sad, mad, hurt, confused, tired, lonely, grumpy, scared, stressed, anxious, excited, happy, and even when I don't have words to explain what I feel. I have sought support and I'm in counseling in hopes of
over coming this self sabotaging behavior and I'm learning lots about myself. As a part of my journey I would LOVE to hear from others who have battled this behavior and WON ... for inspiration. If you are like me and still searching for a cure ... your comments are welcome as well! I am open to anything anyone feels inclined to share! I NEED YOU!

Replies

• awoutlaw
    Options
    I am just like you, hence, the reason I am using MFP to try to get my act together! I am not sure that there is a "cure" but I am very aware of my eating habits. This has been an ongoing issue for me since I was a young child. My mother, whose intentions were always good, treated my emotions with food. If I was sad, she would buy me ice cream...if I was happy or excited, we went out to eat, etc.

Something that helps me is whenever I feel like eating, I drink a big glass of water first. This either helps get rid of the "so-called" hunger or I eat less of whatever it is I want to eat. Being aware of your emotional eating is a good start!!

Good luck in your journey! Feel free to add me for additional support!
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well I highly doubt my battle is over, but I AM currently winning. I now turn to exercise. If I am upset I go walk hills or do a Turbo Jam DVD. Makes me feel better all around without the guilt after comforting myself with food.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I'm working through this right now. I've always heard to go for a walk, brush your teeth, drink water, etc. Those tricks DON'T work for me!!!! What HAS been helping is listening to books on tape. There are a bunch of books I've been wanting to read but don't have time for, so instead of hitting the kitchen I hit the couch and push play. Kathy Griffin's book is a great one to listen to!
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Prelogging my food has helped me a ton. I enter my food the day a head of time so there is no room for an emotional binge. Then you just need the will power to stick to your plan, it came with time for me. Good luck.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater - and I eat out of boredom. Looking forward to reading some suggestions/ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • allymorin
    Options
    Well I highly doubt my battle is over, but I AM currently winning. I now turn to exercise. If I am upset I go walk hills or do a Turbo Jam DVD. Makes me feel better all around without the guilt after comforting myself with food.
    yes, me too. swap food with exercise! as soon as you feel cravings, run to the door and go for a jog. you can't eat if you're not in the kitchen right? also, go to bed early or just rest and read a book, in your bedroom, OUT of the kitchen... do anything your into. computer games, knitting, homework, idk. or even go see a friend. i always drink tea.
    study your body. really stay in tune with it. "do i feel good right now? satisfied or hungry? do i want to make myself hurt?" the more you work out, the more you'll start thinking about what you put in your body more seriously.
    believe in yourself!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    yes, but the battles will always be there- as long as I'm still breathing-

One thing I have done- is I do NOT use food as my "reward" for being "good"....that's just shooting myself in the foot.
    A friend once reminded me I'm not a dog.

which is why I don't do "cheat" days or something similar- I'm learning to eat in moderation
  • lnorwood81
    Options

This! My husband asked me after a stressful day if I needed to "stress eat." I said no and the first thing that came to mind was I need a good workout to sweat my stress out. I was proud of myself for wanting to turn to exercise than food. But it's always going to be an ongoing battle!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I am struggling with this myself. Mostly eating while I am sad, nervous, scared or whatever. Something that has been sort of helping me lately is thinking about how I feel after I eat. Sometimes I say "I am really sad, eating those cookies is going to make me feel better." So I eat them and then I ask myself, am I really feeling happy right now? Did that really, actually make me happier? Usually the answer is no. So while I am going through the thoughts of how I want to eat something because I am sad, I remind myself that it's not actually going to fix anything, I won't feel better after I eat it, and it's only going to hurt my ultimate goal. It's still a struggle but that seems to help me.
  • 65kalena
    65kalena Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So far I've been able to have the upper hand on my emotional eating. I have been using this website and keeping track of my food. Knowing that certain comfort food are high in carlories I keep good snacks easliy on hand and go to them. Almonds, fruit, carrots, dark chocolate in moderation, crackers (Trader Joe's whole wheat with flax), laughing cow cheese wedge, etc. have all been very good substitutes to the bad food. Also drinking lots of water at all times, hungry or not to keep full.
    Though it does help that I'm over the hump of trying to please others first and am really trying to take care of myself. I have lost 12 pounds and today at the doctors they said I was the only patient today that had a normal BMI. Good luck to you!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I suggest this book Savor:mindful eating, mindfull life.

When you eat, you have to eat at the table, no distraction and chew your food several times
    Be mindful when you eat, stop eating your feeling.

Also try low carb diet. When the insulin level is down, you have less craving when you have stress.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm a work in progress.

I don't deny myself treats but I pre-plan them a few days before. I'm like, ok, on Thursday I'm going to have a 350 calorie piece of cake at my nephew's birthday party or I'm going to have an 800 calorie splurge chinese meal when I go out with my sisters. This way I can pre-plan my calories and exercise and also know that I'm not just eating for emotional reasons. Occasional indulgences are something that I allow myself and I don't feel guilty about them BUT if I eat something because of emotional motivation that I "just needed to have it" then that's a problem and it's behavior I try to control. If I really feel like I "need to have" a certain food then for me that's the a sure sign that I need to NOT eat that food at least not right away. Instead I'll tell myself that I can have it in three days if I still want it. By then I usually don't want it anymore.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too am an emotional eater. I have not over come this. I also allow myself treats so that I am not over come with the urge to go out of control with or with out the emotional side. I have found a few books on amazon.com that I have bought. I am in the process of completing a workbook, and then am going to be reading a book on the topic as well. In hopes to have some sort of control over it.

I also log ahead (prelog) my food in, so then it's like I HAVE to eat that. It's what the log says, so I can't stray. I have to say 9 times out of 10 it works.

I have struggled with this for most of my life, and I am hoping to at least get a grip on it so that it doesn't impede my hard work.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Still working on it -- had an epic fail this weekend. Still, I try ...
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me, I recognized I was an emotional eater, but did nothing about it for a long time, simply using that as an excuse. When I decided I wanted to really change, I had to accept that I AM an emotional eater, so when I get emotional, I can NOT eat. Plain and simple. I had to do something else. Go for a walk, a hike, a workout, ANYTHING but eat. If I really wanted to consume something, I would read a book with a mug of tea, get a cup of coffee, or chew gum. I would read magazines - I found reading a magazine satisfied something in me - Shape, Fitness, Self - something that dealt with health and self esteem. I would write up plans for new workouts I wanted to try, or look for a new look - an outfit, makeup, etc to make me look good versus something to fill myself up. It's a conscience change. It doesn't "go away" - you have to replace it with somehting healthier and more functional for you.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Still a work in progress. I did notice that I am a BORED eater... and I'm working on that too... I do prelog my food so that I have a schedule to keep to, but that is on the days that I work -- on days that I don't work I run into a bit of a "lack of schedule" problem...

I can tell myself that I should go for a walk or exercise or read a book or something other than eat, but that doesn't always work... one thing I have found to work is the guilt of having to put it down and I show my food diary to all my friends... so when I "finish the day" they will see that I was over my calories and they will see what I ate... if I allow myself to go crazy... the shame actually works right now. Obviously this is not the right answer, but I am working on it!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Yea, I was more of a 'bored' eater than an emotional eater. Every time I felt I had nothing to do I'd haunt the kitchen and look for something to snack on. That was my undoing. I did it all the time, and one of the reasons I became fat. Luckily I no longer do that. If I do snack on something, it's something very small, not the usual extra 500-1000 calories worth of crap I'd hog down.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have always been an emotional eater and I feel like I'm making progress. There are 2 things that I believe have helped me the most.

#1. (and someone already said this but I thought I would reiterate it) Pre-logging my food. I've been doing meal planning as a way to get my budget under control and realized that when I'm trying to eat healthy that meal planning works for that as well. I'm able to meal plan my week/month of meals, do my grocery shopping ONLY based on my meal planning (which helps not buying unhealthy snacks too), and then stick to my meal plan. That way I also log in the morning what my meal will most likely look like (I change it if it changes) and then I know where I stand with exercise calories (I pre-log estimates of these as well so I eat them during the day). Then I do everything I can to stick to it.

#2. I've been reading the most AMAZING book called "Made to Crave". It's about how we have substituted the instilled cravings we should have for God with food. We are made to crave God but we choose to believe that food (rather than God) will satisfy us and fulfill us and so we crave that. It's a hard hitting realistic look at how we are beings made to crave and that craving isn't bad....it's what we have chosen to crave that has turned something nutritious and good for us into such a problem.

These 2 things have helped me turn around my emotional eating for the most part. I'm still a work in progress!!!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yes! After I broke up with my ex-bf, I dropped 23.2 pounds and counting....I can emotional eat every blue moon when school gets a little overwhelming but I conquered it finally!
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm also a work in progress (more like a struggle on most days). Often, I get in a mode where I just mindlessly eat unhealthy foods to no end and have no desire to stop until one day, I just snap out of it. I have no idea what gets me to start or stop but I'd like to figure out how to stop! I'm trying to figure out how to deal with emotions without burying them with food. I will continue to hang in there... Hope you hang in there too!