I know I am new to this, but I am really struggling.

Options
2»

Replies

• perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    If you're finding it too difficult because your calories are too low, why not switch your weight loss goal to something more manageable? When I started this, I couldn't handle eating 1200 calories per day for a 1 lb per week weight loss, so I switched to a 1/2 lb and felt much better. The weight still came off, only without the headaches, dizziness and grumpiness. If you can't hack it at that rate, up your calories and dedicate yourself to doing it the slow and steady way. Do whatever it takes to keep yourself from quitting, and stay in the game. Remember that the more gradually you take off the weight, the more likely it is to stay off in the long run. Do what works for you.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    First of all, I did WW too.

The whole concept of cheat day, did not bode well for me because "Hey, I can cheat!" I didn't learn the whole, "make it fit into your day" and I ate too much convenience crap. And most of all, it was expensive in that I had to drive 40 miles to a meeting.

So I found MFP.

Second, what WW does, and what is going on here is not that different, it's just the different numbers. You're logging your food, just like with WW. You're reading your labels just like with WW. You're watching your portions, just like WW. The database here is one of the best ones around, so it's pretty much done for you. And like WW I watch how much I have left.

Now, on to my peeve. I hate the whole "cheat" ideal. Why must we "cheat" if we want to have something? Why can't we just have what we want and learn moderation. This is something I will have to do for the rest of my life. I cannot see myself dieting for the next 30 - 40 years.

You're gonna do great!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    this is MY favorite thread since joining MFP! some really awesome advice in this one.
  • sara_rose
    sara_rose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This is a site that will let you know how many calories you can eat to maintain your weight, of you're going over this amount daily, then maybe you should be worried. 1200 is the bare minimum a women should eat, maybe bump it up a little, and when you get used to that cut again.

I agree with this Kaylene. I think you are going to run into 'starvation mode'. When I first started I was allowed somewhere around 2000 calories a day. I followed the calorie count that MFP suggested. If you don't eat enough calories during the day your body with think it is starving and will hold onto your fat. Not good. Also, exercising is what is making this happen for me. The second I quit working out everyday (because of my tendonitis) I stopped loosing. You really need to eat more then 1200 cals a day. I think that is just two little. I am down 51 lbs and I still eat more then 1500 cals a day. hugs....
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Kaylene! 1200! No no no no. I'm pretty sure MFP did no give you that number. When I started I got 2200 calories a day. As I've lost it has shrunk down but I'm still at well over 1200 and I'm actually going to up it because I'm not losing. Yep. You heard me. I'm going to up it bc I've plateued and I can jumpstart by adding some calories. Weird but for me it works. When my body doesn't get enough it starts to hold on to everything. So up my exercise and up the calories. I suggest you add. Add calories and add exercise. It's hard work but it is well worth it.

Love you!!! Xo. Don't give up. Eat more! Live more! Be healthy!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Kaylene! 1200! No no no no. I'm pretty sure MFP did no give you that number. When I started I got 2200 calories a day. As I've lost it has shrunk down but I'm still at well over 1200 and I'm actually going to up it because I'm not losing. Yep. You heard me. I'm going to up it bc I've plateued and I can jumpstart by adding some calories. Weird but for me it works. When my body doesn't get enough it starts to hold on to everything. So up my exercise and up the calories. I suggest you add. Add calories and add exercise. It's hard work but it is well worth it.

when i started MFP gave me 1200...i didn't up in until i lost about 20 lbs and i still only upped it to 1400 (.5 lbs a week)...it depends on her goals and starting weight but 1200 is a rather normal starting number from what i've seen
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I think I got 1200 or 1300 cals too. Im 5'7 and now weigh 144 (lost 14 in total). Ive changed mine to 0.5lb per week and get about 1500 cal now. x
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Check your MFP settings and make sure you're set to lose 1lb a week - I bet it gives you more than 1200 calories! A far as "cheat" meals and snacks go, MFP is designed to automatically give you a calorie deficit so you are recommended to eat your exercise calories back, so an extra bit of a workout can "buy" you more to eat!

Opinion on MFP is fiercely divided on whether you should eat your exercise calories back and whether MFP gives an accurate burn, but you can't go wrong if you eat half back. Myself and several friends have had a lot of success eating them all or most back, but we're all different, and I'll do anything to eat a bit more!

Good luck!
  • kaylenemccuen
    Options
    My BMR is 1811.8 to maintain. I changed my MFP settings to lose a pound a week instead of 2...changing my daily calories from 1200 to 1600. This is MUCH MORE doable!!! Thank you sooooo much for all the great advice...that alone, makes this far superior to WW. So glad I decided to vent to yall yesterday!:happy:
  • kaylenemccuen
    Options
    If you're finding it too difficult because your calories are too low, why not switch your weight loss goal to something more manageable? dedicate yourself to doing it the slow and steady way. Do whatever it takes to keep yourself from quitting, and stay in the game. Remember that the more gradually you take off the weight, the more likely it is to stay off in the long run. Do what works for you.

This was excellent advice!! I have 9 months til my wedding...plenty of time....too bad patience has never been one of my finest qualities! :ohwell: