can someone check out my diary... PLEASE!

Options
Hi,

I know I have posted a few times in the last week about exercise calories, target heart rate (fat burning zone, etc), but I am just annoyed. Not sure if its the PMS (sorry), but I have been at this some time now. Working really hard in the gym, especially the last 2 months, working out 2 hours a night (at least 3 days a week) and an hour the other 3. Exercise includes a good variety I feel, including weights (even if I do not log it specifically, I feel it is adequate amount of calories burned).

I realize that I have been low on net calories, tonight I was trying to force myself to eat more, but just can't, but know I should not that I FINALLY get it.

I also realize that I can be overshooting my calories burned (but really feel I don't and looking into investing into a HRM) and underestimating my calories eaten at times (cheat meal here and there, forgetting tbsp olive oil when I cook), but pretty consistently logging everything with good detail.

The scale has maybe budged a pound so tonight I decided (since I have not) to look at my inches and they didn't seem to budge (although I just got home from the gym), unless I am measuring wrong. Yes, I feel stronger (know I have reworked some body comp into muscle), but clothes really aren't fitting THAT much better, I actually notice it most with the underwear.

So I just don't know, am I being impatient. Have the years of dieting and turning 35 caught up with me. Is it that I am not eating enough or what????

I am 200 pounds, 5'11 (thank goodness for the height) and in graduate school so there is some stress there, but a lot of sitting, hence me working my *kitten* off at the gym... and I love my gym and love being active and will start training for a half marathon for next year. Luckily I have that good mindset.

I would appreciate any insight and thanks again.

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    only a couple things that really stood out to me -
    the low net calories - which you already mentioned youve been working on. i dont know if its possible for you, but i try to exercise more during the day so that i dont have a bunch of calories to catch up on after a night time workout. if i KNOW im not going to have a chance during the day, i still eat more and go over calories, then when i log my exercise before bed it evens out.
    maybe some healthy fats? olive oil, avacado...
    are you drinking any water? i dont see it logged so wasnt sure. also might want to start keeping track of sodium and possibly sugar. i havent noticed any problems when i go over on sugar, but when i go over on sodium and dont drink enough water to balance it, i dont show any loss and sometimes gain.
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. I do get home from the gym by 630 so that's not too bad. I do drink a lot of water, just fail to log it. Sodium is a good possibility, I might have to watch that, and yeah I guess I need to really watch my net calories on my heavy workout days. Its sad to work so hard and barely see results! Live and learn.
  • Rewinds
    Options
    Imo your dinners are too big and your breakfast isn't big enough.
    Some days you had massive a massive breakfast and nothing until dinner which doesn't work out either.

I also think you have waaaay to much sweet/buttery food that you'd probably want to replace with more fresh food or low fat/no-fat dairy products.

ALSO (yep one more) I don't think its very consistent dinner wise. Not sure what your routine is like but having a good bit of protein and some steamed veges every night (about 300 calories depending on the protein source) will do you much better.

E.g...

Dinner
    Trader Joe's Dsf - Almond Butter, 2 Tbsp 190 3 17 8
    Homemade - Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, 1 bowl 182 28 6 7
    Trader Joe's - 100 Calorie 70%Dark Chocolate Bar, 2 bar

Iunno to me that isn't a dinner ;<
  • meredithd13
    Options
    hi,

i think people who know more than i do have made great suggestions for you already. i'm amazed at your commitment and wish i had your resolve for exercise! good for you! those sorts of habits will serve you well in later life - don't give up! maybe just a little change here and there and you'll be on the right path.

your diary to me looks a little high in sugary foods. i hear some people say you can eat what you want for your daily calories, but i don't agree with that. removing sugary foods like chocolate, ready meals etc will teach you good eating habits that you can carry through life. 1000 calories of chocolate, donuts and processed food does not do the same for your body as 1000 calories of whole foods (like oats, brown rice, etc), fresh produce and home prepared (and controlled) meals. i imagine it's hard to eat enough calories some days, so go for nuts, avocado, salmon, hummus etc, which are all good fats and high in calories.

also, i think you're probably being a bit overgenerous with your exercise calories. unless you have the eliptical machine on a super high resistance for the full 60 mins, it would be hard to burn 600 calories. and if you can still hold any sort of conversation while exercising, you may need to up the resistance. same for circuit training - no breaks between exercises and sweating buckets, and not able to talk. maybe you could also try different exercises as your body may be used to those. try a spin class and do the resistance like they say and see if you notice a difference. and try 30 day shred. i've just started it and it kick started my body, despite doing a lot of exercise (not as much as you!).

you shouldn't need to do three hrs a day - more like 30-60 mins five times a week or so, so i reckon it comes down to some of your food choices (sweet, sugary and high salt foods) and i'd increase exercise intensity for less time.
  • superbman
    Options
    Hi Joy,

I've never been a big believer of counting calories. And I still managed to lose 80 pounds and hit my target weight without counting any calories! And I'm exactly as old as you!

If our bodies were like car engines, where if you eat less than you burn, you will always lose weight, then everything would be OKAY. Unfortunately, your metabolism will adapt to the low calorie intake and your body will become efficient at utilizing energy from less food and exercise. So the key to keep on losing weight is keeping your body confused by cheating once in a while! Personally. I have one cheat meal on Sundays!

Also eat foods that don't compromise your metabolism (very low calories diet will, so will low fat) and choose foods that keep you satiated (healthy fats will) so that you can stick to the diet all your life!

Also, I'm a strong believer in the KISS (Keep It Simple Silly!) methodology. It's really amazing to see how committed and disciplined you are. But it sounds like you are making it unnecessarily difficult for yourself! If I was you, I wouldn't worry unless I hit a weight loss plateau for at least a month!

Stay committed and you will get there!
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Joy,

I've never been a big believer of counting calories. And I still managed to lose 80 pounds and hit my target weight without counting any calories! And I'm exactly as old as you!

If our bodies were like car engines, where if you eat less than you burn, you will always lose weight, then everything would be OKAY. Unfortunately, your metabolism will adapt to the low calorie intake and your body will become efficient at utilizing energy from less food and exercise. So the key to keep on losing weight is keeping your body confused by cheating once in a while! Personally. I have one cheat meal on Sundays!

Also eat foods that don't compromise your metabolism (very low calories diet will, so will low fat) and choose foods that keep you satiated (healthy fats will) so that you can stick to the diet all your life!

Also, I'm a strong believer in the KISS (Keep It Simple Silly!) methodology. It's really amazing to see how committed and disciplined you are. But it sounds like you are making it unnecessarily difficult for yourself! If I was you, I wouldn't worry unless I hit a weight loss plateau for at least a month!

Stay committed and you will get there!

Hi superbman and everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks. I really appreciate the help and comments... I think I might actually give myself a break with spending too much time at the gym and being a little more strict on what I eat and when. I thought maybe I could get away with a piece of dark chocolate each night, but I think that.... and maybe the peanut/almond butter is not working for me.

I know it is a journey!

-Joy
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi Joy,

Well you already know that your calorie intake is too low and it has to come up to the recommended level and stay CONSISTENT with that. Your meals seem like they're all over the map - you need to balance them out. And you're definitely doing exercise over kill too. 2 to 3 hours in the gym is just too much unless you're a topnotch athlete training for a competition. You need to even it all out - more calories and less work out.
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I would definitely agree with cutting out sugary/refined carbs, and also upping your protein and veggie intake. If you're going with the MFP settings, the protein default is really low and the carb one is ridiculously high, so you might want to adjust those. I know it's already been mentioned, but start monitoring your sodium intake and log your water consumption. A lot of processed foods contain TONS of hidden sodium. Good luck!