which sugar substitute is better?

Options
I use truvia but which sugar substitute is better?

Replies

• MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Equal :) I reckon is good tastes somewhat natural
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have been told that Truvia is better because it's made from real sugar. Splenda is made from a sugar molecule and it's created in the lab.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's going to come down to personal preference for the taste and how concerned you are about chemical/artificial sweeteners.
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Are you guys in Australia? Cause we don't even have Truvia here lol
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Darn it... I can't respond without getting into trouble. :frown: *sigh*

Let's just say that I don't have to log it. :bigsmile:
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    It's going to come down to personal preference for the taste and how concerned you are about chemical/artificial sweeteners.

True.

I would say dextrose, aka glucose - the part of sugar that the body actually recognises and uses as energy. So the unhealthy and damaging part (fructose) has been removed. This may not taste very sugary to you depending on how much sugar is in ur diet (sugar is in everything these days).

With other artificial sweeteners it's all up in the air really. Though I heard that Stevia is quite good and the most natural form of sweetener (available here in Aus anyway)
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The ONLY calorie-free, chemical-free, alternative to sugar is Stevia (recently sold in the US as "Truvia".
    It's the only sweetener I've used for the past seven years.
  • _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    Xylitol
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Equal :) I reckon is good tastes somewhat natural

Definitely not. Equal!!! It is one the most unhealthy of the alternatives (Aspartame) along with Sweet N Low (Saccharine) which has a black box warning on it for causing cancer in lab animals.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you want to acheive.
    If your objective is purely to cut calories, then use anything that tastes good to you.
    If you want to reduce artificial additives then it sounds as though stevia is more natural.
    If you are aiming to change your diet for long term health then in my opinion it is better to start reducing all kinds of concentrated sweeteners and get used to eating things that aren't so sweet, or stick to foods that are naturally sweet like fruit and milk.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've tried the Coles powdered stuff (not sure what that quite was now), when I was cutting back on sugar. Didn't much like that, but it did what I wanted.

For the rest, Sweet and Low, and Equal taste funny to me, with Equal topping Sweet and Low for preference. Stevia also doesn't taste 'right' being rather chemical tasting.

There is also a yellow labeled 'sweetener' that beats the funny tasting ones. Cant remember the name.

Hermesetas is *my* preference. Its also the most cost effective, at 1c per tab. (or was when I was working it all out)
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use stevia the most and occasionally guava nectar although it is higher in calories.