Limited Time! McRib!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I would say that is a good thing.
    It would be if these converts weren't all of a sudden "high and mighty" because now they've taken up "healthy" eating.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I've never had a Mc rib. That's pretty interesting info. The one about the Mc Nuggets is pretty interesting as well.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    From Xfinity News Service:
    What’s Hiding Under the McRib Sauce?
    by Audrey Morrison

It’s obvious that actual ribs aren’t sandwiched between the bun of a McRib. So what is? Well, apparently a lot of heart and sole goes into making the limited edition offering from McDonald’s. Literally.

Several people have dug up the actual ingredients of the McRib and they’re findings might make you delete the McRib Locator you saved in your bookmarks when you heard the sandwich made its way back on to the McDonald’s menu until November 14.

According to TIME’s Meredith Melnick and Chicago Magazine’s Whet Moser, there are roughly 70 ingredients in the limited release McRib. Pork patty, bun, barbecue sauce, pickle Slices and slivered onions are the ones we can see and that are listed as ingredients by McDonalds. The ones we can’t see are a bit more troubling.

Moser explains that the pork patty is actually characterized as a “restructured meat product” that tends to be made of pig heart, scalded stomach and tripe. When these ingredients are cooked with salt and water, proteins are extracted and act as a form of “glue” that helps keep the reshaped “rib” meat together. Melnick breaks down the bun, which is comprised of chemicals like azodicarbonamide, “a flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufactur[ing] of foamed plastics like gym mats and soles of shoes.”

The McDonald’s website describes the McRib as “sweet, tangy, saucy temptation.” Diving a little deeper reveals the sauce-slathered sandwich boasts 500 calories and 26 grams of fat. One the bright side, there is 1 mg of Vitamin C.

Are you still ‘lovin’ it’?

"Restructured meat product" - you could use that to describe hot dogs, sausage, scrapple, chicken nuggets, fish sticks and 'Krab'

azodicarbonamide - in every bleached flour made, not just specially used in the McRib bun, I promise

500 Calories - puts it below the quarter pounder with cheese (510), and below a chicken pot pie (was craving one tonight until I looked at the calories - 600-1200 for a whole pot pie).

Personally, I find the McRib disgusting, but I also find brussell sprouts and saurkraut disgusting, but love the occasional slice of scrapple or a hot dog. Even the most 'pure' 'organic' 'natural' food out there has some gross component if you look deep enough.
  • Nursdoc
    Options
    Ewwwwah!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I had one to see what the hype was a bout a few years ago... still curious because it was gross!
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options

Moser explains that the pork patty is actually characterized as a “restructured meat product” that tends to be made of pig heart, scalded stomach and tripe. When these ingredients are cooked with salt and water, proteins are extracted and act as a form of “glue” that helps keep the reshaped “rib” meat together. Melnick breaks down the bun, which is comprised of chemicals like azodicarbonamide, “a flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufactur[ing] of foamed plastics like gym mats and soles of shoes.”

Most fast food is 'restructured meat product' ~ chicken mc nuggets, taco bells entire menu, most hamburgers. I saw a youtube video that showed them making mc nuggets. At one point it was pink glue looking stuff. Totally nasty :/
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    From Xfinity News Service:
    What’s Hiding Under the McRib Sauce?
    by Audrey Morrison

It’s obvious that actual ribs aren’t sandwiched between the bun of a McRib. So what is? Well, apparently a lot of heart and sole goes into making the limited edition offering from McDonald’s. Literally.

Several people have dug up the actual ingredients of the McRib and they’re findings might make you delete the McRib Locator you saved in your bookmarks when you heard the sandwich made its way back on to the McDonald’s menu until November 14.

According to TIME’s Meredith Melnick and Chicago Magazine’s Whet Moser, there are roughly 70 ingredients in the limited release McRib. Pork patty, bun, barbecue sauce, pickle Slices and slivered onions are the ones we can see and that are listed as ingredients by McDonalds. The ones we can’t see are a bit more troubling.

The McDonald’s website describes the McRib as “sweet, tangy, saucy temptation.” Diving a little deeper reveals the sauce-slathered sandwich boasts 500 calories and 26 grams of fat. One the bright side, there is 1 mg of Vitamin C.

Are you still ‘lovin’ it’?

"Restructured meat product" - you could use that to describe hot dogs, sausage, scrapple, chicken nuggets, fish sticks and 'Krab'

azodicarbonamide - in every bleached flour made, not just specially used in the McRib bun, I promise

500 Calories - puts it below the quarter pounder with cheese (510), and below a chicken pot pie (was craving one tonight until I looked at the calories - 600-1200 for a whole pot pie).

Personally, I find the McRib disgusting, but I also find brussell sprouts and saurkraut disgusting, but love the occasional slice of scrapple or a hot dog. Even the most 'pure' 'organic' 'natural' food out there has some gross component if you look deep enough.

Indeed. Wood all up in your food

http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_the-6-most-horrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html?wa_user1=1&wa_user2=Science&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=popular
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yep. I eat balut and dinuguan so this is tame compared to them. You "health" people are funny. Let me guess, you guys got fat eating healthy food right?

Oh em gee, I love you.
    I want to use this answer SO often around here.

WIN.
    It gets irritating. The same people that are going "ewww" "nasty" etc. got fat eating fast food. So now all of a sudden, since they are on some diet kick and thinking that eating healthier will "make" them healthy, anyone that eats fast food isn't in their class.

It's not that at all. I got fat eating chocolate and potato chips by the pound. The McRib just sounds nasty and disgusting especially when compared to a frozen Snickers bar.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Moser explains that the pork patty is actually characterized as a “restructured meat product” that tends to be made of pig heart, scalded stomach and tripe.
    Tends to be or IS? Part of the reason I hate news.

Not that I plan on eating one anytime soon.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Love McRibs. I also eat hot dogs, sausage, brats...

Everything in moderation...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Just had one! Still wiping the sauce off my mouth! MMMMMMMMM!!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I always loved the McRib. Now that I've read this article and know what kind of nasty disgusting stuff is in them....... I still love them. God help me I do love them so. I don't care what's in them. They taste disgustingly good. Like a movie that's so bad that you love it and watch it over and over again.
  • ferg1911
    Options
    This economy sucks, if I can buy frozen chicken breasts for 50 cents each versus three times that for fresh "organic" then the frozen it shall be.

If I made six figures perhaps it would be a different story but this book will remain the same old story each time you read it because I'll never be able to afford to eat organic everything!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I really like the McRib and I fully intend to enjoy at least one before they stop serving them again. I can easily make 500 calories and 26g of fat fit into my dietary budget. Articles like this one don't scare me off. Yeah the meat thing is weird, but it's not like that's a list of items that are otherwise inedible. Pig stomachs and animal hearts are actually common in a number of cultures, so as long as it tastes good and looks palatable, I'll not going to be turned away. The article really made it clear how much it was reaching just to create a story when they went after the bread ingredients. Those buns are no different than any other white bread bun you'd buy anywhere.
  • nothingisred
    Options
    I would say that is a good thing.
    It would be if these converts weren't all of a sudden "high and mighty" because now they've taken up "healthy" eating.

I've always avoided processed meats because I'm not a big meat eater and am very very fussy about it, I've bitten into one too many bits of grisle as a child I think! I stopped eating McDonalds when I watched Supersize me. I piled on the pounds by eating far too much chocolate, cream cakes and (mainly veggie) takeaway pizzas.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't preach to people about the unhealthy things they eat. My life choice is to have a more healthy and active lifestyle, if that's not their choice then who am I to judge? I've made the wrong choices in the past, that's why I'm here. And I'm sure I still make the wrong choices sometimes now (I still have nights of binge drinking for example).

Personally I wouldn't choose to put such processed stuff into my body, but if others want to that's their choice, I won't stop them!
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes it sounds just as delicious. I love tripe and stomach. Never had pork heart but I love beef heart :P
  • lradatz
    lradatz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I never had 1, but you can tell that the sandwich wasn't really ribs. When I eat at any fast food place I normally only get a grilled chicken sandwich or maybe a cheeseburger. But to each their own!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    regardless of the solid write-up, I would still enjoy a McRib if one was put in front of me. still yummy...and I still have to stay away. out of sight, out of mind. the ingredients don't cause me to avoid it. only my personal goals do.

**DISCLAIMER: of course, I am someone who has previously eaten a dollar bill. while I was eating it (as part of a dare, of course), the other folks were telling me how gross and nasty it was...about how I didn't know where it had been...and suggesting all sorts of seemingly disgusting places that the dollar bill might have been. none of this phased me. I was only concerned with not choking on the bits of dollar bill I was swallowing as I realized it wasn't as easy to eat as the notebook paper I once ate (at times) in school. fortunately, I was able to use four small tubs of fake butter (I forget which kind) to help get the dollar bill pieces down. in short, ingredients don't scare me.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Just had one! Still wiping the sauce off my mouth! MMMMMMMMM!!!!

well done sir :)