I need help and QUICK!

Options
I have 1302 calories left once I added in my exercise calories. It is 9:30 at night... Its bad to eat late... but its bad to be so far under my calorie goal. Is it ok to be WAY low once in a while? Like... can I just leave it the way it is tonight, and just do better tomorrow??? I need advice, I have never been in this situation before. And honestly I haven't been hungry all day. I have just been forcing myself to eat. It is the weirdest thing. Probably has to do with me working out more now. I did about 100 mins of cardio today. So... my net calories is 168 as of right now... and I am supposed to consume 1470 before exercise... I know this is soooo bad. So the question is... To eat or not to eat. Thanks so much!! I feel terrible!

Replies

• nomorewishing
    nomorewishing Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If it was me and I wasn't hungry I would just let it go this time :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Its bad to eat late...
    -- nope. it's fine.

but its bad to be so far under my calorie goal.
    -- generally, yes

Is it ok to be WAY low once in a while? Like... can I just leave it the way it is tonight, and just do better tomorrow???
    -- sure. one off day won't hurt you. you can always get back on track tomorrow.

For today, eat if you want to. For next time, plan the day ahead a little better. If you know you're going to have a lot of exercise, you can spread out some extra calories throughout the day.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    it can't be too bad this once, don't beat yourself up too much. But if you happen to have some protein powder in the house a quick shake before bed wouldnt be a bad idea IMO
  • BlooQKazoo
    Options
    I don't think it's bad for one day. Personally, I try and stay pretty low in net calories, and I've seen no sign of "starvation mode." I'm sure you'll be fine. :) No sense eating if you're not hungry!
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have 1302 calories left once I added in my exercise calories. It is 9:30 at night... Its bad to eat late... but its bad to be so far under my calorie goal. Is it ok to be WAY low once in a while? Like... can I just leave it the way it is tonight, and just do better tomorrow??? I need advice, I have never been in this situation before. And honestly I haven't been hungry all day. I have just been forcing myself to eat. It is the weirdest thing. Probably has to do with me working out more now. I did about 100 mins of cardio today. So... my net calories is 168 as of right now... and I am supposed to consume 1470 before exercise... I know this is soooo bad. So the question is... To eat or not to eat. Thanks so much!! I feel terrible!

Meal timing is irrelevant, so eating late at night will not hamper your results...but eating far below your calorie goal will.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.. :)

If your not hungry don't eat .... we eat to live, not live to eat.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, don't eat. No reason to force yourself to eat. I consider that the same as forcing yourself not to eat when you ARE hungry. Just a bad habit to get into. Good job on the exercise by the way!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer tells me not to eat back all of my exercise calories, and thus far, it's worked for me. If you're hungry, then eat, if you're not, then don't. And are you using MFP's calculations for calories burned, or are you using a heart rate monitor? I don't really trust MFP's numbers all that much. You may not have actually burned as many calories as it says you did, plus nutrition labels aren't all that accurate either - the FDA only requires the minimum calories to be reported on food labels. I'm sure one day won't hurt and it'll all come out in the wash. Quit stressing! :smile:
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    Its bad to eat late...
    -- nope. it's fine.

-- generally, yes

Is it ok to be WAY low once in a while? Like... can I just leave it the way it is tonight, and just do better tomorrow???

For today, eat if you want to. For next time, plan the day ahead a little better. If you know you're going to have a lot of exercise, you can spread out some extra calories throughout the day.

I agree completely!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Its bad to eat late...
    -- nope. it's fine.

-- generally, yes

I agree completely!

^^^^^ This ..... You are most probably going to really struggle tomorrow (I do if I did not eat enough the day before).....if that happens just eat a bit more - in the end the two will cancel each other out.....

Also make sure that you plan your exercise days better - and start eating more right from breakfast - that way you dont get caught in this position late at night......
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    wouldnt stress it if its not a regular thing.
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice and tips!! I went ahead and ate some strawberries and some fresh pineapple. It doesn't help too much with the calories, but it just sounded good. :) I am new to all of this, so I have never been in this situation before. I will know from now on, that I need to eat more calories from the start on my exercise days!

Also, I am not getting my numbers from MFP. I am getting them from my HR monitor. I know the burn calories are correct.... I just dont want to stall my weight loss just because I had a really busy day today and didn't have time or the desire to eat more than I did.

Thanks again for all of your help and support! You all are amazing!
  • aliciar3
    Options
    Its bad to eat late...
    -- nope. it's fine.

-- generally, yes

This
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to listen to your body and if you are not hungry then just eat a light snack and don't worry abput it.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I often eat very late at night and it does not make any difference to weight loss.....I just wait for about an hour and half before I go to bed after eating only because Its through habit !

I also dont eat back my exercise calories as I physically couldnt !

But congratulations you have probably burnt about 120 calories worring about it !

One last thing which is going to annoy you and many others.....HRM are not accurate at calorie counting and in fact on the Polar HRM site they even tell you that they are only an estimate ! they can be out by at least 50% + .........as can the gym machines !

The only thing which is accurrate is the Ki Fit or Bodybugg as its known in the U.S.A.......... I wear a Polar HRM for my heart rate and a Ki Fit for my calorie count................ !