Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Sue, I hope your surgery goes well!

150 reps sounds like a lot, I hope I can get all that in today! Its a C25K day so it may not happen. Although my BF just told me his calves are really sore and he may not want to run tonight.

My goal this week is to get 21 owls - I've never done that before but I think I can do it. 3 servings of veggies? Check! 150 reps of ....oh wait ..that's gonna be a problem.

Thank god its not the no-junk week - that would be an absolute lost cause. I already had 2 dark chocolate mounds.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Here's a 3 veggie dish I'm going to make for dinner featuring carrots, celery, and onion!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/carrot-ginger-soup-recipe/index.html

I'm opting for a bit more seasoning, and will use yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    So I thought I'd ask you, my fellow Ravenclaws, what you do when the theme for the holidays are food. Thanksgiving is nothing but food, and not necessarily healthy food at that. Do you stick to portioning? Are there better recipies? How do you avoid hurting people's feelings by not eating their food?

i do a combination of both portion control and self control. i had been at mfp awhile before i was faced with a food related holiday. i just look at how far i've come and the hard work i've put into this and is it really worth taking several steps back. that being said, i don't deny myself much, but i'm careful about the amounts of things i allow myself. best of luck korkster, we're here for you!!

on another note, i looked into the body fat/goal weight site. they actually measured my body fat recently when i joined the gym. i originally set my goal at 170, then once i realized that i could actually do it this time, i rest my goal to 150. after looking at the info, i think maybe 140 might be a better number, but i'm not going to change it yet. i'd rather see how i look and feel when i get closer. great info though.
  • claire_mant
    Options
    OMG that made me laugh so hard i nearly pee'd my pants.
    thank you
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sue, you said you were missing my weigh-in. I posted this yesterday :laugh:
    Sheesh! I remember reading it, I just didn't log it! :ohwell: Thanks.
  • nieme
    nieme Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    146.5 for a third straight week. It was a very stressful one last week. 45 house points and 5 owls. Bad week all around.

It WILL be better this week, stress is lightening already!

November goal.... 142 pounds.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    So I thought I'd ask you, my fellow Ravenclaws, what you do when the theme for the holidays are food. Thanksgiving is nothing but food, and not necessarily healthy food at that. Do you stick to portioning? Are there better recipies? How do you avoid hurting people's feelings by not eating their food?
    I'm not always successful at this, BUT... before I put something in my mouth, I remind myself that its got to go on my diary and ask myself if I really want to see it there. Other than that, its mostly been portion control for me. I don't deny myself, but I do limit my portions.

As for hurting people's feelings - you don't have to make an excuse, just act as if the food is not there. If someone offers something, politely decline. That was one of my biggest breakthroughs - when I actually declined a goody instead of automatically taking it. If someone's feelings do get hurt, just let know you're watching your calories. If they can't be supportive, that's their problem, not yours.

Keep up the good work!
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, guys! I've successfully dodged the cupcakes all day. Portion control seems to be the way to go... just need to remind myself that we don't need food for 10... there's only 3 of us.

I noticed another thing today regarding health supplements. A few months ago my doctor said my iron was really low and recommended that I take supplements. After taking them for a few weeks I noticed that I started doing a gag reflex anytime I tried to swallow them. I thought it was because of the iron tasti g nasty but today I discovered I built up an I tolerance to fish pil pills as well.

Has anyone else had this? I know supplements aren't ideal, but the iron was under doctor recommendations. I eat steak weekly, but it's just not enough.

Maybe the problem will go away once I drop a few.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, sorry this is a really late check in, what a mental week! Basically we've been evacuated from bangkok, had about ten hours to get our stuff together and get out! So, my stats are...
    Weight: 177 - a loss, a good one, not sure how good!
    Owls: no idea!
    House points: 450

Don't think I can check in next week (as don't know where I'll be) but I'll try!!
  • the_accountinator
    Options
    Good evening!

Doing a quick check-in at 277.2 and adding 86 house points to the mix. I earned 2 OWLs and I've still got a busy week ahead. Great job everyone! Enjoy the fall weather as much as you can :D
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sorry! Just realized I forgot to weigh in this weekend... for some reason I thought I had *blush*

I'm at 145.5 at my last weigh in (a few days ago)
    Hope everyone had a Happy and *relatively* healthy Halloween :)
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For those who haven't - make sure you post your November goals along with your weigh-ins so that Sue will be able to get started on the new information. I'm sure she'd appreciate having it all ready for her when she gets a chance to collect it all. :)

Hope everyone had a fantastic Halloween! I splurged a little, but nowhere near how much I normally would have (or even as much as I wanted to :P).
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    Hey guys, sorry this is a really late check in, what a mental week! Basically we've been evacuated from bangkok, had about ten hours to get our stuff together and get out! So, my stats are...
    Weight: 177 - a loss, a good one, not sure how good!
    Owls: no idea!
    House points: 450

Don't think I can check in next week (as don't know where I'll be) but I'll try!!

OMG lottee, wondered where you have been. will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. be safe and let us know how you are when you get somewhere!! :heart:

sue, hope you are feeling well today after your surgery!! :flowerforyou:

to all my other Ravenclaw peeps, happy tuesday. happy to say that not one piece of halloween candy passed through my lips. (it helped a lot that i got treats for the kids that i really hate, so no temptation!)
    hope everyone has a great day!!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Goal for November: 182lbs
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! We had a crazy snow storm here in the northeast this weekend and we just got power back on yesterday (went out Saturday afternoon). I would NOT suggest going without power for almost 48 hours with 2 kids under 4, especially when it was freaking freezing!!!! But we all survived- although there weren't too many good food choices made over the weekend- nor exercising intervals. Weighed in this morning and gained a pound already- I have until Friday to get it off though- a feat with all the darn Halloween candy in my house (hopefully my husband will eat it all!!!)

I am SO sorry for not posting me weight on Friday- its 127

Anyway . . . .
    Stats so far (Saturday/Sunday/Monday/Tuesday)
    Exercise: +2
    Food: +4
    Spirit: +1

Owls: 7 House Points: 180

Goal for November- 124 ( I think this was my October goal too- but I know what the holidays and really cold (no running) temps do to me)
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Discussion Topic
    While I'm on the subject of measurements and body fat...

How many of you just randomly chose a goal weight? I know I did, but I didn't really know if it was a healthy goal. According to the BMI chart, the healthy range for me is between 111 and 150 pounds. I just can't see 111 being a healthy weight for me and I'm very close to 150, but I still have quite a bit of body fat hanging on.

After reading this, I went looking for a good body fat calculator and found this great site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/ . Not only does it calculate your percent of body fat, it tells you how to set a realistic goal weight on the next screen: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

So, how close do each of you come to what you had already set as your goal weight? I was only off by about 2 pounds, so I'm feeling like I've set a realistic and healthy goal for myself! :drinker:

I wouldn't say I randonly chose my original goal weight of 125 -I started by looking at the BMI chart which says I should weigh 104-136- I figured being in my mid 30's with 2 kids I should pick a number on the higher end of the scale. But after losing and seeing my body I switched my goal to 120.
    This chart gives my current body fat % as 25% (ouch!!!)
    If my goal is 21% body fat my goal weight 124.8.
    If my goal is 18% body fat my goal weight is 120.8

I went to this other website that said most women my age and height would consider 118 a goal- so I'm in the ball park.
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Hullo everyone! Hope you all survived Halloween last night without giving in to temptation too much. I gave in a little, but made sure to make up for it with exercise. I have a feeling Thanksgiving will be a bigger challenge.
  • DefiningRaquel
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Hope you guys had an awesome Halloween. Im pulling an all nighter at work so just dropping by to say hi. Have a great day everyone :D
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am checking, still without power, this is getting really tired really fast. I enjoy the candlelit evenings with my Husband, but i am not enjoying the cold. I hope to get power back again tonight.
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Happy November everyone! Resisted the urge to eat our bowl of goodies. Only had 3 pieces and still stayed within caloric goal.

Last night I purchased a pedal exerciser and assembled it. My plan is to do some cardio while I sit at my desk. Hopefully this will be my fix for including exercise into the week. At least for now.

Have a good one!