Sardine ideas anyone?

Options
eeebee
eeebee Posts: 471 Member
I have bought a pack of 8 fresh sardines, each of them about 5 - 6 inches long.

I've cooked them before: pan-fried them after coating in some seasoned flour (delicious) but would like some new recipes if anyone has any?

(I am not a fan of tinned tomatoes though, so no recipes which call for that ingredient please!)

Thanks

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Trash can. Sorry not a sardine fan.
  • MThurs
    MThurs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    With Dave - not a fan!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Feed them to cats.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Put them on a hook and catch something bigger and better tasting.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    umm, with a fork? That's how I used to eat them.
  • eeebee
    Options
    Fantastically helpful answers so far.

This post was asking for ideas, not asking if you (or your pet) like sardines......:yawn:
  • eeebee
    Options

Wow, blown away by your incredibly intelligent wit.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow, Ive never had fresh sardines. Im intersted to know where you find them. Im sure they are better than canned!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love fresh sardines simply grilled with some salt, black pepper and lemon/lime juice then served whole with a salad :-))
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I would go with not eating them at all.....use them for bait and go fishing. Wait, do fish eat fish? I don't know. Cat's like fish. Or if you have a water turtle it would probably like them too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Eat them with rice and ketchup..................least that's the way I eat them.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of sardines, but my dad drizzles a little lemon on them and places them on cracers. He loves them!
  • Qarol
    Options
    likewise :indifferent:
    but seriously, I used to eat them right out of the can.
  • eeebee
    Options
    I think quite a few of you are missing out on a very nutritious food here (though fair enough if you dont like the taste).

I personally don't believe the silly, small minded stigma attached to the name "sardine" it's frankly rather snobby:

Health Benefits:

•Sardines are considered as brain food because the omega-3 fatty acids in sardines are important for the brain memory and performance.
    •Sardines omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation and therefore beneficial to those people suffering from joint problems like arthritis.
    •Sardines are high in calcium and vitamin D which help promote stronger bones.
    •Sardines contain Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) an antioxidant that is enhances physical energy and cardiovascular health. Coenzyme Q10 is beneficial for those people with hypertension and heart abnormalities.
    •Sardines are also an excellent source of tryptophan, an essential amino acid.
    •The high protein content of sardines helps to promote a feeling of fullness and the lack of carbohydrates helps to keep blood sugars stable.
  • eeebee
    Options

I think you may have failed to read properly. I said FRESH sardines. Not tinned. So yes, very helpful answer indeed...
  • eeebee
    Options
    Wow, Ive never had fresh sardines. Im intersted to know where you find them. Im sure they are better than canned!

In the UK, you can buy fresh sardines in some fishmongers and supermarkets, they are pretty popular over here (fresh version) and quite a few high end restaurants have sardines on their menus. In the states, I am not so sure....
  • Qarol
    Options
    I think you may have failed to read properly. I said FRESH sardines. Not tinned. So yes, very helpful answer indeed...
    You're right...I like to skim. I saw sardines and got nostalgic for my childhood. But you're just...super.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Wow. Now I rather regret providing the link to the delicious fresh sardine recipe I provided previously.