People with busy schedules

Options
I'm not trying to make excuses so let me start there. I just need some realistic advice on from people who have similar schedules and were able to work out.
Typical day
Wake up at 4:15 to get to work - Work commute is an hour and a half. Yes I am looking for a new job so I can't change that at a drop of a hat right now.
Get home at 6pm.
Eat
Start studying at 7 pm
Finish studying at (since this new semester) 11:30 ish...
AND REPEAT!

I will try to go to the gym for an hour on Saturdays or Sundays, but two days like that are not enough. Plus if I have errands those days I have to study and can't do much else.

I'm going to nursing school so it's not like I'm not "really" studying during those times. I take breaks every hour to stretch, but nothing more because I am forced to get through a chapter a night.

Anyone else have a schedule like this? Does anyone see when I could work out or a work out that would work in this limited time?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    If getting a workout is hard right now with your schedule put all your focus on Clean, healthy, Nutrtious eating. Making a schedule and trying to stick with it. Have a plan. Plan ahead and pack food when you need it. Have your meal ready when you get home. Heat and eat. Start there. Focus on that. Because 80% is great Nurtition
  • kjones3535
    Options
    I no longer have to study in the evenings but I do have a 19 month old, otherwise my schedule is virtually the same. I have incorporated a walk in at lunch at least 3 times a week. Rather than going out to lunch, or working through lunch, a walk is a nice alternative and it burns calories. I also started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred this week, which is only a 20 minute work out everyday. Can you find 20 minutes in your day?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When you have a lot going on in life, it is definitely hard to fit in working out. What about working out for 20 mins on your lunch? Not sure if your gym has showers and such - but that's something to think about.

What about working out for 20 mins right after work? Yes, it will push back your get home time to a little later, but you'll get your workout in.

And if all else fails, and you simply can NOT work in a workout - watch your calories very closely during the week and do your workouts on the weekend.

I don't workout at all on my work days. I'm just too tired and too sore to do it.
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    Can you go for a walk on your lunch hour, and eat your lunch during a break? Even if you only did that once a week, in addition to your weekend workouts, that would give you three workouts a week. Good luck!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If your studying involves reading you can take your text to the gym and read while on the treadmill or elliptical. I did that a lot when I was in school.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Are you able to get out and walk on your lunch hour?
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's pretty intense! Is there a way you could take your study materials to the gym and read while you pedle a bike or are on the eliptical or treadmill? Also keep in mind that you will still be able to lose weight if you are on a calorie deficit, even without exercise. I am NOT discounting the importance of exercise, so please don't yell at me!!! Trust me, I realize how many wonderful things exercise does!! I was just throwing out the idea...

Whatever your path, I wish you good luck :)
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes. Can you walk at lunch? Go to a park? have a fitness center near you that you could lift weights for 20 minutes? Or you can get up 30 minutes earlier and run before you take your morning shower? Where there is a will, there is a way.
  • kmilazzo429
    kmilazzo429 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have been on here for a while, and this is the first time I responded to a post! Maybe you can study and workout at the same time... I know some people get motion sickness or something, but try covering up the time with a book or your notes. Also, during your lunch time, maybe walk up and down the steps or outside (weather permitting). I know these aren't HUGE calorie burning ideas, but it's better then nothing. Hopefully, this can be a start! Good luck!!

Kala =]
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    You might try some 10 minute workouts spread throughout your studying time. I have found some good ones on Youtube and Netflix. When I have no time to work out, I'll do a 10 min kickboxing video or a 10 minute yoga video. It doesn't burn many calories, but doing a couple might help. Good luck -- nursing is a tough course. :smile:
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Only suggestion for time to workout would be on your lunch hour. My schedule isn't anywhere close to being a packed as yours but my lunch is generally the only time I can really devote to working out - and then I eat my lunch that I brought from home at my desk.

Good luck!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My schedule is busy, but not as packed as yours, but what I have found that works for me is to force myself to wake up an hour early (you could do 30 minutes) and go to the gym and shower/get ready for work there.

My current schedule is to wake up at 4:30am
    Get to gym around 5:30 (20-30 min drive)
    Work out until 6:30
    Shower and get ready, get to work around 7:30-8am
    Work until 5pm (if the weather is nice, I'll try to go for a 20-40 minute walk during lunch)
    (Sometimes hit the gym again to do some more cardio for 45-60 minutes)
    Get home around 6pm if no gym, home around 7pm if gym
    Do housework, prepare lunch & clothes for next day, sleep.
    Repeat.

What I would recommend is to try to bring some of your studying to the gym with you and stop at the gym either before/after work. I would do 60 minutes of walking on the treadmill or slowly on the elliptical so you can read (low impact exercise is still better than none!) OR I would spend 30 minutes doing high impact to just get it done.

You'll hear it said that you have to make it a priority and it sucks, but it's true. I don't get my relaxing time, I get less sleep, and I'm more exhausted all the time because I'm not sleeping enough... but I'm losing weight and inches so it's working for me.

OR you could take 15 minute walking breaks in between studying (those 15 minutes add up)

Good luck :)
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have a busy day too. 5am-8 pm in out at work and college. I have an hour lunch on work and I go to the gym then! Is there a gym that you have near your work? Or maybe even a walk on lunch? I go for 20-40 minutes at the gym, quick shower, and then get back to work. My job is lenient though where my boss doesn’t care if I’m a little late or not…. Good luckkk!!! Replace one meal a day with LIGHT soup! I have noticed that it cuts calories like no other!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Lunch hour.

i wake up at 4:30am and workout between 5-6am. Some days i hit the treadmill at the gym on my lunch hour as well. I am able to eat at my desk. Good luck with everything.
  • ladyhunter2011
    ladyhunter2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I to have a busy schedule. I use 30 mins of my lunch and walk. I have found a buddy at work that will walk with me and that helps me stay committed to going. We have even walked in the rain with our umbrellas. Parking at the back of the parking lot and taking the stairs are also great ideas.
  • occupyme
    occupyme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My schedule is similar--up at 5am and home by 10pm. I try to do some crunches and small weight lifting for a few minutes (really, just for a few minutes) before bed--10 min max. I knew going into this semester I would have to stop my regular exercise program but, in my case, once I get into finals week, I'll have a lighter schedule and get back on track.

I was swimming on campus during a break in my day, but as the semester progressed, two things happened: I got busy and needed the swim time for work, and the swim team boys started using the pool during "lap" time. ugh! Does your school have a gym you could use during the day?

I know that doesn't help much...I decided to take the hit on exercise for a few months and not lose any more sleep than I already do. All the best to you.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You don't have to intensely work out to get some time in. Can you walk while you study? If you use notecards, get up and walk as you go over them. Carry your book and read it as you walk around the house (the added weight of the textbook will be good!). You might find that moving helps your studying to be more effective because you're adding a kinesthetic element and exercise is good for the brain.

Also, when you run errands or go to class, look for the parking space that's furthest away from the door. Jog to the door, then jog back to your car, even if your buggy is full (unless it's overflowing, nothing should fall out).

When you have a schedule like yours, you'll have to look for every little opportunity. Even a little bit of something will be better than nothing. Keep eating right and keep your calories in check, but just add a little bit here and there of walking or whatever you can squeeze in.

Good luck...you can do this! Feel free to add me as a friend if you need some encouragement!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    This year not so much because I dropped out of university due to a new job. BUT When I was in school I had a 5 year old, worked 20 hours a week and was in class or studying the rest of the time.

I used to go for walks between my classes or at lunch to get some kind of exercise in. It was really the only thing I could do at the time.
  • kdruga
    kdruga Posts: 35
    Options
    I get up before 6 to be at work from 7:30 - 4:30, go home, dinner/play with my daughter, then go to the gym in the evenings, usually not until 8:00. I do walk at lunch, 40 minutes 2-3 times per week, plus I do 60 minutes of cardio (either elliptical or a class) 3 - 4 times a week, and 30 minutes of weights twice a week. Watching your calories all week, then doing double duty at the gym Saturday and Sunday could give you an extra kick, though. You have to make sacrifices somewhere to get where you want to go!
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys some days I do get a full hour for lunch so I guess I could walk around here. We don't really have a gym near us I could work out, shower, change and head back, but it would be great if I could do that.

My husband and I are working on trying to eat as healthy as possible. It's been a little bit of a struggle since I was the one who use to cook all the time and now it's practically impossible to get that time in either.

I know it seems weird but I didn't think about taking my books to the gym.. They are huge with small font so it might not work well. The lecture notes on the other hand would be perfect.

Thank you for your help.