I need some advice!

Options
So, I'm not exactly new - I've been here for more than two weeks - but this is my first post.
I weigh 165 pounds and my daily goal here is 1200. My usual net is less than that, I know it's not supposed to be, but... I really am desperate, so I'm trying. I also exercise a lot.
It's been 18 days, and I don't know where I stand. One day, I have 166 pounds, the other day I have 163. And than 165 again, but in the end I feel like I haven't lost anything!
What do you think is happening, and what should I do?

Replies

• Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    I bet its musclle, Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    First off, don't weigh yourself everyday. And if you do weigh yourself everyday, only track one of those numbers a week on a consistent day. Your weight is going to fluctuate daily, it's kind of just the nature of body weight. It has many variables that are going to be different day-to-day, so a weekly weigh-in will give you a broader view on how much you're losing without worrying about the pound up or down a day.

Also, make sure you're eating enough! I know you're excited to lose weight, but the best way to do that is by fueling your body with good foods - not depriving it completely from calories. Try to stay at around 1200 net calories a day.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    You need to set your food diary to 'public' so that can received informed suggestions.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    Eat your calories or you will put yourself into starvation mode for one. Research that, it does happen. if you are desperate, more fruits and veggies and nothing that is not real, like processed meat and such. Exercise. i try not to weigh myself more than once a week and never after eating something salty or right before my period. My weight will fluctuate 2-3 pounds during those times. I just weighed myself today after eating a boxed rice dish last night and am 2 pounds heavier but my fingers are swollen with water weight. Go slow, dont be desperate. Weight loss is not a quick fix :) Good luck.
  • elz22
    elz22 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have also been following the 1200 cal and have not lost anything for 2 weeks. Someone told me today that I am not eating enough calories.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself everyday! It will drive you crazy!! You should be hitting your net calories especially since you're only given 1200/day. If you burn anything from working out, eat those back! I know you say you're desperate, but you need to fuel your body, ESPECIALLY if you're working out! MFP already gives you a caloric deficit, so if you aren't eating the amount they give you, you're create a bigger deficit. Yes, you can probably lose weight fast that way, but the faster you lose weight, the easier it is to come back. I've been in your place, and it worked for me @ first, but as the # of weight I've lost has gotten higher, the time it takes has gotten longer.....and eating at your net calories can help w/ that
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You need to set your food diary to 'public' so that can received informed suggestions.

I agree, that is a start... and also, I would not recommend weighing every day. Weight fluctuates way too much. Weighing in once every week or every other week should be better, as you'll see more accurate and actual readings on the scale.
  • papirrus
    Options
    Hi, I've been in the program for 100 days and lost 38 pounds so far. If you weight yourself every day you will notice your weight going up and down because your body might have changes in water consumption or gain of muscle. But you should notice it going down on a weekly basis. Patience and you will get there, make sure you count everythig from food to excersise. You can do it!:smile:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Here is a little experiment for you:
    - Weight yourself.
    - Now drink 10 cups of water.
    - Weight yourself again. Congratulations, you are now officially heavier.

Anyway... don't try for real, it just means that your weight fluctuate....

PS: You could probably go way below 1200 calories/day and survive, with not optimal health (I'd say probably about 200 calories/day? Then muscles/fat/organs are going to melt indiscriminately which would be bad for health). Is this really what you want?
    Or you can lose this weight in a more healthy way.
  • jobster68
    Options
    You probably aren't eating enough - especially if you are exercising a lot. Also DON'T weight yourself every day you will drive yourself demented!
  • potionphoenix
    Options
    thank you everyone! I set my diary to public now, so you can now see :)
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Thanks for opening your food diary.

I'd suggest adding fruits, vegetables, and more protein to your diet and backing off on the bread and sweets. I know a calorie is a calorie, but for me, how I get those calories is very important. And do you not eat dinner at all?
  • potionphoenix
    Options
    no, I never eat dinner. it's just a habit, but I don't think it can be very harmful.. anyway, yeah. i agree about sweets :P
  • ghafer
    ghafer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    probably need to eat dinner, more consistent food intake will help keep your metabolism up- a more efficent 'burning furnace' than the up and down of now I have plenty of fuel, now none- this will also cause your body to hold onto its 'stores' because it doesn't 'trust' that it will have a consistent supply of fuel!
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I would say that there is too much processed food and not enough working out personally. good luck to you :) You can do this.
  • RoneaWhite923
    Options
    Make sure to stay within your calorie intake and try to change up your exercise routine. Definately stop weighing yourself everyday. Once a week or every other week would be good.....Stay Motivated you can do this!!!
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I bet its musclle, Muscle weighs more than fat.

Agreed. It could also be water weight from too much sodium. Granted that part of that water weight is also from muscle.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    All sound advice here. Eat healthy/whole foods, eat your calories and spread your calories evenly over the day.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For some people, staying under their calories is enough, but lowering my sugar intake worked for me. I try to stay around what MFP suggests for sugar - I also find this helps keep my appetite level. Good luck!