Butternut Squash!

Options
Sweet potatoes are a staple in my house because they are delicious, but to me butternut squash comes in at a very close second place. I want to share a recipe I use that my husband and two boys enjoy! :smile:

1 large butternut squash
1 head garlic, separated but not peeled
2 tablespoons quality olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, chopped
16 whole fresh sage leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1) Peel and seed butternut squash and then cut it into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes. Place the squash and the whole unpeeled garlic cloves on a sheet pan in one layer. Toss with olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the squash begins to brown, turning once during baking.
2) Sprinkle the pancetta and sage leaves evenly over the squash and continue to bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the squash and garlic are tender to caramelized. If your family prefers to have bread with this, then spread the freshly roasted garlic on hot french bread for them. Otherwise the garlic can be refridgerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Replies

• lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just bought a butter squash and was contemplating what to do with it! Thanks I will give it a try!
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Just bought a butter squash and was contemplating what to do with it! Thanks I will give it a try!

It's one of those foods you look at and think what do I do with that?? I hope you like the recipe!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i wish I had seen this the other day before I threw out half a squash. I coun't think of what to do with it and it was taking up space . . .
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It sounds delicious, but what is pancetta?
  • sheila0321
    sheila0321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

It's a type of ham.. You can find pre packaged at Walmart. Or Fresh in the Deli.. I hop this helps.
  • AggieHoss
    AggieHoss Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Quick question. I'm confused about the garlic. If you roast it whole....do you not eat it with the squash? Does the flavor come through to the squash?

Sorry....new to cooking with fresh garlic and trying to learn.
  • cbediria
    Options
    oooh i'm going to have to try that!! i've just become obsessed with butternut squash. i chop them up, season them and bake them till crispy. SO AMAZINGLY GOOD.
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Quick question. I'm confused about the garlic. If you roast it whole....do you not eat it with the squash? Does the flavor come through to the squash?

Sorry....new to cooking with fresh garlic and trying to learn.

I LOVE garlic and tend to put it with everything :smile:

You're right I do not put it with the butternut squash, but it does give a hint of flavor to it since it's being cooked in the oven at the same time. Roasted garlic is great to have on hand to add to dishes or to have with a fresh loaf of french bread.
  • cclaborn22
    Options

It's a type of ham.. You can find pre packaged at Walmart. Or Fresh in the Deli.. I hop this helps.

It's like an italian spiced specialty bacon. Sometimes it's hard to find, but Sheila is totally right it can be found fresh in most deli's. If you want to substitute regular bacon can work or I'll use turkey bacon without all the fat :smile:
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    oooh i'm going to have to try that!! i've just become obsessed with butternut squash. i chop them up, season them and bake them till crispy. SO AMAZINGLY GOOD.

Ditto I love this stuff! Costco has butternut squash pre-cut and it makes life so much easier :smile:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...that's what 's for dinner tonight. I have a butternut and spagheti squash on the counter waiting for something to be done to it. Thanks. All I need is sage and pancetta. Bacon might work?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried it without the maple syrup? I don't usually like butternut squash that has been sweetened, but the rest sounds yummy.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Mmmm...that's what 's for dinner tonight. I have a butternut and spagheti squash on the counter waiting for something to be done to it. Thanks. All I need is sage and pancetta. Bacon might work?
    [/quote

For sure! If you're in a pinch bacon should work. I'd try to cut out as much of the fat from it as you can :smile:
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Have you ever tried it without the maple syrup? I don't usually like butternut squash that has been sweetened, but the rest sounds yummy.

I have tried it both ways, and it works :) I have used a little honey, or agave, or even a little brown sugar. But if you don't like butternut squash that's been sweetened, you can totally omit the maple syrup. I agree, I love the taste of butternut squash as it is :smile:
    I just tend to have a sweet tooth sometimes, and this satisfies it! :)
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ::fist raised for use of pure maple syrup::

Thanking you from the bottom of my New England heart.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ::fist raised for use of pure maple syrup::

Thanking you from the bottom of my New England heart.

Oh, I use pure maple syrup. Just not on veggies.