What do I need to know about jogging?

Options
2»

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    make sure to do a good stretch and warm up. google dynamic stretching (it's the first few minutes of jillian micheals 30DS). do a full stretch (no static stretching), and a warm up of some jumping jacks and running in place (butt kicks). this is probably the most important thing in your run, especially while you are getting used to it. as you get better and more used to running, your warm up can be the first 4-5 minutes of your run.

proper form is important. you need to hold your head up, which will keep your back straight. that will help keep your stride nice and long. pumping your arms will help keep your stride wide, and help with your breathing. you want to be taking nice almost normal breaths. do not breathe like you are in a Lamaze class. Deep breath in, deep breath out. someone once told me that if you can't hold a conversation with someone running next to you, then you are exerting yourself too much.

what you run on is also important. if you run outside, avoid concrete. it doesn't give. asphalt and blacktop is better to run on, as it does absorb some impact. and personally, i love running up and down hills. much better and more fun then running on flat land.

if you are not used to running, you will probably need a few days to recover between runs. my first few times running, i think i needed like, 5 days between runs. now i can run every other day. rest days are important, they let your body recover and recuperate. take some some ibueprofen to help with swelling and speed up recovery. and remember, while your muscles should feel sore, your joints should never cause you pain. if they are, there is something wrong, either in your form, your shoes, or whatever.
  • _Sonia_
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, great shoes AND a really good sports bra, especially if you're anything above a B cup! Without my Elomi sports bra I would seriously not be able to run at all!
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! So, about how much did everyone pay for their shoes? And what store (if it was a chain that might be anywhere) did you go to?

I have giant feet, a size 13 as of my last measurement. I have to buy my shoes at Nordstroms Rack, they carry up to a 14. I ended up with a pair of Adidas running shoes. I was a size 12 when I got my first pair back in May. I have no idea what happened to make my foot grow a full size in the last 5 months, but those are too small now and I noticed my toenails were starting to turn black. So now I have the same shoe one size bigger.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! So, about how much did everyone pay for their shoes? And what store (if it was a chain that might be anywhere) did you go to?

I got my shoes at a local store (Varsity Sports). I got my first pair somewhere else - bad experience, I won't go back. I need support, I pay about $100 a pair. My BF runs as well - he needs a neutral shoe - he pays about the same.
  • TaylorRenee09
    Options
    Trust me... You are no where near too heavy!
    When I started running the first time, I weighed around 300-310 pounds and I had just had a terrible car wreck that tore my ACL in my knee along with other things.
    You CAN do it!
    Just don't quit or give up!
    Take a day off in between running and change the scenery up so you have stuff to look at! :)
    Good luck!
  • nikki_fro
    nikki_fro Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am curently able to run around 3 .5 miles when I couldn't run at all 3 months ago. I remember in the beginning thinking I will NEVER be able to run but it really does get easier you have to stick at it and take it slow, Good luck it is addictive!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Stick to the Program. Even if you think you can do more and want to rnu more often, stick to the guidelines.
  • sawyerlm
    sawyerlm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Non-runners ALWAYS tell you that you can't do it or that you are going to get injured, etc. They don't know what they are talking about. My best advice is to run only for enjoyment...speed, and distance will come eventually. Just enjoy it while you are doing it. Do this enough and you'll be completely hooked.

I started really running this year and I just finished my first 1/2 marathon last month. All kinds of people told me it was stupid and that I'd get injured. I showed them a thing or two.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know these replies too!

I pulled ligaments in my lower calf/ankle in feb due to running on the treadmill and my crappy technique apparently! I got a gait analysis done and my left foot comes over my body and I also put too much pressure on my heels.

But I am going to start jogging again tonight. Am very nervous to say the least so I'll be reading the replies with interest.

Were you fitted with custom insoles? I too had gait analysis done (in London - very impressed with this) after a couple of injuries and was fitted with custom insoles which has resolved my knee pain in one fell swoop. Hopefully will keep me (relatively) injury free now. Wish I'd done this at the outset having known I had an arthritic foot problem.....ho hum