November Cycling Challenge: 200+ Miles, 1 Month

Options
The rules are simple:

Set your own personal mileage goals for the month of November.
Keep track of your actual mileage and post to this thread often.
Use any of the free tickers available out there to help monitor your progress.
Enjoy cycling through the coming Autumn/Winter months.

My November goal is 1000 miles.

Replies

• mattellis2
    Options
    I'm in. I am going to shoot for 400+ again. A little bit worried about the lack of light in the evenings, but we'll see how it plays out.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I am in for 400 miles in November.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Another Cycling Challenge. 1000 in a month is pretty good but don't know if I could do that in Minnesota. Did do 800 in October but weather was good and expecting it to change. I am only planning on doing 200 this month since I am changing gears and doing more inside stuff.
  • carbonboy
    Options
    Another Cycling Challenge. 1000 in a month is pretty good but don't know if I could do that in Minnesota. Did do 800 in October but weather was good and expecting it to change. I am only planning on doing 200 this month since I am changing gears and doing more inside stuff.

I hear ya. Here in SoCal we have the luxury of riding pretty much year 'round. My normal months are 1000-1200, with October being the exception because of some other commitments I had. Regardless of your goals, it's all about staying motivated. Good luck to everyone.
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think cold weather burns more calories.

My goal is back down to 200 miles for Novembe, I am moving indoors doing indoor work outs.

Might get a indoor cycle, so boring.

Cheers
    Jim
  • TDSeest
    Options
    11-01-2011 - 130 Minutes - 24 Miles - 2728 Calories - Warm and windy.
  • mattellis2
    Options
    I'm starting off November with 31 miles today. Rode with the local club tonight, but got dropped about 2/3 way through.
  • jimmacdonald
    Options
    8 miles today, got the ride in right befor sunset. :happy:

Cheers
    Jim
  • MTBRTW
    MTBRTW Posts: 56
    Options
    204 MTB miles in October - 250 goal for November-Th/Sat soccer coaching ends November 12th, but also no weekend 50 & 62 miles group rides...and away I go....

11/01/11 15 miles in Tom Brown Park - Magnolia, W Cadillac, East Cadillac, and Loblolly
  • TDSeest
    Options
    11-01-2011 - 56 Minutes - 10 Miles - 881 Calories - Cool down ride.

November - 186 Minutes - 34 Miles - 3609 Calories
  • carbonboy
    Options
    Started off with 37 miles today with my normal work commute.

Has anyone tried the Strava app for gps devices (Garmin, iPhone, etc.)? It's a cool way to track your rides and it will even automatically rank you on any climbs, sprint areas, etc., that others have defined. From the iPhone your recorded rides are automatically uploaded to the website and you can see how you rank on your local training grounds.
  • mattellis2
    Options

TD-

how are you calculating your calorie expenditure? I know you're a fairly big guy, and I would expect you to burn more than me for comparable mileage, but your numbers are HUGE! A general rule of thumb is 35 cals/mile ridden...which works out pretty close for me. My HRM and the calculator built into MFP agree with that multiplier as well. You're averaging more like 105 cals/mile.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    11-02-2011 - 150 Minutes - 36 Miles - 3934 - Hamel to Carlinville

November - 336 Minutes - 70 Miles - 7543 Calories
  • TDSeest
    Options

TD-

how are you calculating your calorie expenditure? I know you're a fairly big guy, and I would expect you to burn more than me for comparable mileage, but your numbers are HUGE! A general rule of thumb is 35 cals/mile ridden...which works out pretty close for me. My HRM and the calculator built into MFP agree with that multiplier as well. You're averaging more like 105 cals/mile.

I have three sources for calories that I use for my rides, but I'm sure my numbers are much higher than most. I weigh 350ish pounds, so I'm basically riding tandem without the help pedaling.

My first source is my Scosche MyTrek HRM, which works with my iPhone while I ride. I ride with my heart rate consistently between 135 and 150. Then, I use two programs for GPS on the iPhone, and they both calculate calories based on weight, age, etc. One of those is way off, and I never look at it. Cyclemeter is usually within 100 to 200 calories of the MyTrek HRM, and seems pretty accurate, which really shocks me. What really shocks me is that the number the My Fitness Pal calculates for me is usually within 100 to 200 calories on a ride as well of both Cyclemeter and the MyTrek HRM. As a general rule of thumb, I just post the numbers from My Fitness Pal, as it seems close to the other two. I suspect the HRM is the most accurate.

Bottom line is, that I am in fairly decent shape for a morbidly obese person. I can ride long rides, and keep my heart rate up there. I just need to drop the pounds. I just passed 3000 miles for the year on 10-30, and hope to complete at least 600 to 1000 more by the end of the year.

I hope this answers your question.
  • jimmacdonald
    Options
    10 mile ride before the sun set. Yea.

18 total this month.

Cheers
    Jim
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    OK - Lets see if we can get to 200+ again this month... I've a new toy to cover the bad weather - Tacx Bushido & PC Link software (which i'm currently fighting with as it's a bit bug-ridden and horrible, but I'll get there!)

01/11/2011 - 13.17km - 13.17km total (8.18 miles) - 1094kcal - Turbo trainer session (bushido kept crashing!)
    02/11/2011 - 24.29km - 37.46km total (23.28 miles) -1509kcal - 2603kcal total - normal road loop
    03/11/2011 - 19.58km - 57.04km total (35.45 miles) - 1192kcal - 3795kcal total - abreviated local loop due to rainstorm

exercise.png

a94407d13b68696.png
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options

TD-

I have three sources for calories that I use for my rides, but I'm sure my numbers are much higher than most. I weigh 350ish pounds, so I'm basically riding tandem without the help pedaling.

My first source is my Scosche MyTrek HRM, which works with my iPhone while I ride. I ride with my heart rate consistently between 135 and 150. Then, I use two programs for GPS on the iPhone, and they both calculate calories based on weight, age, etc. One of those is way off, and I never look at it. Cyclemeter is usually within 100 to 200 calories of the MyTrek HRM, and seems pretty accurate, which really shocks me. What really shocks me is that the number the My Fitness Pal calculates for me is usually within 100 to 200 calories on a ride as well of both Cyclemeter and the MyTrek HRM. As a general rule of thumb, I just post the numbers from My Fitness Pal, as it seems close to the other two. I suspect the HRM is the most accurate.

Bottom line is, that I am in fairly decent shape for a morbidly obese person. I can ride long rides, and keep my heart rate up there. I just need to drop the pounds. I just passed 3000 miles for the year on 10-30, and hope to complete at least 600 to 1000 more by the end of the year.

I hope this answers your question.

Well Speaking as a 330lb 6'1" guy, I can only agree with TD-'s figures - they don't sound too far out of kilter with the ones I'm getting - again from my Garmin 705/HRM and Endomondo/Sportstracker applications on the smartphone... I'd also echo his experience of MFP being surprisingly accurate in it's guestimates, and on a final note - I'd just like to say WOW when it comes to the mileage he's clocking up - well done that man, and keep it up!!!
  • mattellis2
    Options
    amazing how different body types are. i'm struggling to expend 1000 calories on a 30 mile ride...of course, i'm about 140 soaking wet, too!
  • carbonboy
    Options
    ... I'd just like to say WOW when it comes to the mileage he's clocking up - well done that man, and keep it up!!!

I'll second that on TD's mileage. Those are some killer numbers by anyone's standards.
  • carbonboy
    Options
    amazing how different body types are. i'm struggling to expend 1000 calories on a 30 mile ride...of course, i'm about 140 soaking wet, too!

Yeah, according to my HRM I only get about 900 calories for my 37 miles roundtrip commute to work. And I go pretty hard too. As your fitness goes up, you become more efficient and the calorie burn generally goes down.