judgmental

Options

Replies

• olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Not judgmental so much, but I can't hep but mentally calculate the calories they're eating, and compare it to what my daily intake is. It is astounding sometimes! When I realize one plate of their food is equivalent to more than my daily goals, and that I used to easily consume that much also. Crazy!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm more critical of family members and their eating habits. I have immediate family members who are diabetic or have had heart issues in the past. I get really annoyed when I see them downing a Coke w/ a Double Del and extra "macho" fries. Really?

It's frustrating for me because I wonder if they care that little about their health. Than I have to remember that I've made some pretty terrible decisions with food/alcohol and they'll have to figure it out just like I did.

As for strangers, I do get the passing thought @ the grocery store but it doesn't really bother me.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    Guilty here too! This weekend we attended a wedding reception - I saw an acquaintance that had really gained BACK all the weight she had previously lost and then some extra. I've lost 68 lbs so far, but I'm struggling at the moment and the losing has stalled.
    After seeing her, I couldn't enjoy the wedding cake I was eating because I kept thinking - "she really slid backwards and I'll do the same thing if I eat any more of this cake" even tho' I had eaten lightly during the day so I could indulge - but seeing her really bothered me. I felt sorry too, because she had really looked nice before.....sigh......
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I do this sometimes but then I think of it the other way around.

Grocery shopping today, a skinny man came up and loaded up the belt with snack cakes, sodas, chips, beer, pizzas, and cakes. And then I look at my huge mound of veggies and fruits with eggs and bread.... I could only help but thinking "How can he be skinny and eat all that junk" and he probably thought "how can she be so fat and eat all those good foods?"...

I'm sure it works both ways...

Sounds like he's having a party!
    I try not to judge people at the grocery store or whatever because I know that sometimes I don't get any fruits or veggies at all since I got them at the farmer's market earlier in the week.
    I'm also that girl who got a kit-kat from the vending machine at the gym after my workout because I felt my blood sugar getting dangerously low. I laid down on the couch while eating it and drinking water. That will teach me to eat an early morning breakfast and work out right before a late lunch, I guess. Sure, it neutralized a huge portion of my burnt calories, but I didn't pass out at least. Not ideal, but I did what I could in the moment.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am SO guilty of this. I know it's awful but I can't help it.

I was out in London with friends the other night and they decided to stop off at the takeaway on the way home (at 2.30am!) for doner kebabs and burgers/fries etc. I know that is normal post night out behaviour but I actually felt a bit sick just by standing in the place and inside I was screaming, 'trans fats! calories! why are you doing this?!' Obviously I didn't say anything but I did judge - and these people are my own friends not strangers!
  • VICKYORTIZ
    VICKYORTIZ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i had a co worker who lost a substantial amount of weight and kid you not every time she saw me putting food in my mouth she would tell me how many calories I was consuming....just wrong. So now that I'm losing weight I try not to do it and only worry about me.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I have a super hard time with this around my family, older sister especially. She has always been heavier than me, and always self-conscious of her weight. She starves her body, and when she does eat, she has unreasonably large portions. Her diet causes her hair to fall out, she yo-yos in weight, and she doesn't feel good. It hurts me to watch what she does to her body, when with the right choices, a bit of exercise, and a decent support system she could lose pounds and feel good.
    I try to help her know what is good and what is not, but it's hard to balance between being helpful and being a judgmental-know-it-all. I know it makes her uncomfortable sometimes, and I apologize when I notice she has that "please shut up" look, but we grew up in the same household, she is as ignorant of healthy choices as I was before MFP.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing it too.. and of course I wind up doing it to my poor Mom, who's also trying to lose weight but hasn't been as successful as I have due to factors beyond her control. I always feel awful, because I know better.. but some days, it just drives me nuts that she's willing to eat all this crap without a care in the world and I'm sitting there eating healthy and counting everything.

I also think about how I used to down like 4 or 5 margaritas twice a week in college and not give it a second thought.... and now if I even thought about doing that, I'd prob. have a panic attack and then some..
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    No absolutely not.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not so much being judgemental as it is being more cognizant of exactly what they are putting into their bodies. I think the more we work on healtier nutrition and the more we log our foods and calories the more aware we become of exactly what is in the food the we used to eat (and that others are still eating). I feel the same way and wonder how people can eat the stuff they eat on a regular basis. Don't be hard on yourself for being "judgemental", it's just that you are more aware now. :)

I agree 100%
  • jesskahh87
    jesskahh87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I will be the first one to admit that I totally do this! I feel awful doing it & sometimes I try to think about the ''what ifs'' but when I see someone eating a salad or talking about being healthy ( aka what happens at work) and they pile on the dressing to their salad so it's actually dressing with a side of lettuce, I'm totally over it.

& if someone can really sit at their computer reading this and say no they haven't done this then they're lying :)
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I ate really poorly for a long time so I don't think I'm in any position to judge!

Just because I'm healthy now doesn't give me licence to go around judging other people or harping on to them about how unhealthy they are. If someone asks me for advice, I'll give it to them, but otherwise, it's not my place.

Even if it's only in your head, most people only put down others to feel better about themselves. So what if someone puts too much dressing on their salad. Does that make you a better person because you don't? (Hint: no. You just use less salad dressing.)
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not so much being judgemental as it is being more cognizant of exactly what they are putting into their bodies. I think the more we work on healtier nutrition and the more we log our foods and calories the more aware we become of exactly what is in the food the we used to eat (and that others are still eating). I feel the same way and wonder how people can eat the stuff they eat on a regular basis. Don't be hard on yourself for being "judgemental", it's just that you are more aware now. :)

I find myself becoming more and more aware and it's easy to see how things can get out of control.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes but then I think of it the other way around.

Grocery shopping today, a skinny man came up and loaded up the belt with snack cakes, sodas, chips, beer, pizzas, and cakes. And then I look at my huge mound of veggies and fruits with eggs and bread.... I could only help but thinking "How can he be skinny and eat all that junk" and he probably thought "how can she be so fat and eat all those good foods?"...

I'm sure it works both ways...

I look at other people's carts too, wondering how they can feel good after eating that. Course, I then realize I never felt bad eating that stuff, but I just know that now I shouldn't. I do, however, have permission from my trainer for one sweet treat/day.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't want someone judging me for eating my ice cream and I can't fully understand judging others based on their food choices either. You see one meal that a person eats, but that doesn't give you any idea of their eating habits other times, how can you form an opinion on someone based on one meal? Okay, that meal could be healthier, does that give you any idea of their usual lifestyle?

What would you think of me if you saw me chowing down my fries, lovingly dipped in terribly unhealthy ketchup? What if you knew that it was my first treat in three weeks because I've been having trouble keeping my weight loss going and I had finally given in after hearing my mother's abusive boyfriend broke her wrist and no one knows where she's at now?

You can find more fulfilling activities to put in your daily life than judging others for whatever's on their plate for the moment.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I catch myself doing this as well, but then I remember. I remember how I wasn't really ready for a long time, and I don't even really know what changed for me to make me successful this time.

I think back to a few months before I started this journey. My tiny sister (less than half my weight and about 6 inches shorter than I) who is also 9 years younger than I, and single with no kids, an easy job schedule and no responsabilities tried to tell ME how to lose weight. Lets just say it did NOT go over well.

I am always paranoid of being judged. Like if I go to a restaurant and order something healthy people might think "pfft, look at how big she is, she's must binge at home or something" or if I order a treat meal they'll think "That's right lady, pack on some MORE pounds". I just feel like in public I'll get judged no matter what I order.

Last time I lost weight, I ended up at 149lbs and I was SO judgemental. I would look at heavier people and think "For F*** sakes, get up off the couch and do something about it". After gaining all that weight PLUS back I am hoping I'll be a little more humble with my weightloss this time. Try to be encouraging and supportive, instead of critisizing.

One thing I know is : You can't accurately judge someone until you have truely walked in their shoes, and battled their demons. Pretty impossible to do.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha - You have what we call "reformed smoker syndrome" except it is "reformed eater syndrome" in your case. It is not a bad thing as long as you don't actually stare the people down with a bad look or say something to them. As another poster said, you are now much more aware of what you eat and how it has helped you so when you see people making the mistakes you use to makeI it is probably more like wanting to save them from themselves than it is judging them.
  • phechan3
    Options
    When it comes to seeing what parents feed their kids with- yes, I'm with DanDan on that one. I used to work with kids and it never failed to amaze me how someone would think that giving their 4 year old one of those 99 cent bags of cheetos is a good idea. o.O And the scarier part is that the little girl finished it all! Don't get me wrong, I'm not the junk food police or anything, but at least have some moderation. :p

Other than the pet peeve listed above, I'm more observant than judgmental. I'll see someone eating almost the whole take out container of Chinese food with 3/4 of a box of white rice and I'll remember all the times I've done that before. I wouldn't think less of the person but rather it would remind me of how easy it is to under estimate the number of calories in things.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with it not being so judgmental....as being involved or aware of it now. I think like anything else once your life is affected by it, you are more aware. Like anything else. When one of our family was hit with a serious case of depression it seemed like all of sudden there were ads on tv all the time about treating depression, articles in the paper, etc., and then someone pointed out it was because I was directly affected or involved in that at the time. Same goes for anything I think....don't be hard on yourself. Your more aware and more interested I believe....