Low cal stuffing

Options
Hey kits and kats,
Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching. I have figured out ways of making main dishes low cal such as my gravy made from the turkey drippings but the one thing I cant get my head around is the stuffing/dressing. Any ideas? Actually any ideas on any dishes would be great. These threads usually produce tuns of ideas. My brown rice thread was uh-maz-ing! <3

Replies

• jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I plan on working my @$$ off at the gym 2-3 hours and eating my turkey dinner stuffing and all
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hmm well Sara Lee has 45 calorie slice bread if you make it from scratch. And low sodium chicken stock. Sorry that's all I can think of.
  • hwesp
    hwesp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I got a handout from my nutritionist with the following suggestions...

1. Use a lower sodium box mix.
    2. Prepare a boxed mix or homemade recipe according to directions but omit the butter/margarine.
    3. Add 3 cups sauteed apples, onions, and celery.
    4. Add 3 cups cooked brown rice and a cup of broth.

1/2 cup stuffing Calories Fat Sodium Fiber
    Home-made 190 6 643 1.0
    Box Mix 170 8 520 0.5
    Better 104 2 175 1.5

I'm assuming the "better" recipe refers to the changes (steps 1-4).

The handout has other holiday baking tips - source is www.foodandhealth.com
  • paravision
    Options
    Apples would sweeten things up and I hadnt thought of using bread from scratch. Awesome ideas!
  • mrsgroove
    Options
    I love stuffing/ dressing and I plan to save up some extra calories so I can get my fill at Thanksgiving but I must say I also love the boxed stuff as a "comfort" food. I make it with extra water so it's nice and moist and I use olive oil in half the amount called for of the butter. That keeps the fat and calories down alittle. Our family loves cornbread dressing so I make the cornbread with egg whites and skim milk, and use LOTS of onions and celery cooked in a little olive oil and plenty of chicken broth to keep it moist. Also for a holiday treat i use a quarter pound of browned turkey sausage for the whole recipe and plenty of sage. A nice moist cornbread dressing with lots of flavor and I'd be willing to skip the mashed potatoes completely. Happy healthy cooking!
  • paravision
    Options

Oh looks awesome! I can work with a few of the ideas there!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I make my stuffing out of a box...that's just the way it goes. LOL You know, last time I looked at it though, I don't think stove top wasnt too bad if you messed with what went in it, maybe 150 calories per 1/2 cup....