POOP

Options
yes, sorry for being nasty...but poop. hope none of you think i am disgusting..but i am desperate for help here. i am 18 years old, i should not be having a pooping problem! ever since i moved 3.5 hours from home to this university, i have had a really hard time pooping..at one point i don't think i had gone for a week. i eat at least 1200 calories a day, i meet or exceed my fiber goal every day, i take stool softener and laxatives when desperate, and i take benefiber twice a day. also, i workout so it's not like i'm being stationary. i have done everything there is for helping one take a freaking ****, and i can't! today i did like 5 times but they were just little pebbles! i have no clue what to do. the doctor just said take benefiber and drink lots of water. oh-that's another thing..i drink about 4 liters of water a day. so i have no clue whats going on but it's so annoying! at first it didn't really hurt or anything..i have no i don't know where the food was going. lately though, it has been super crampy. uuugghhh :/ sorry again for over sharing but this is the last straw, haha. i am so pathetic.

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    drink prune juice, eat dried fruits! apples really help me too. i have the same problem (i am terrified of pooping in public, and pooping in the dorms takes me such a long time hahaha). usually dried fruit and apples help me out!!
  • codysolders
    codysolders Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel like the internet is the best place to ask those questions... Have you been bloated or gassy?
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    sometimes it means too much iron, are you taking a multivitamin?
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Dr. If you are drinking 4L of water, working out, eating fiber and drinking benefiber you should be receiving results!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Lots of water is needed to keep the fiber functioning as it should, and the more fiber you eat the more water you need. How many grams of fiber do you eat in a day. I find MFP's default is sort of low.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    Try SmoothMove tea, cascara sagrada supplements, or brussel sprouts!
  • cndbear
    cndbear Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am of course not an expert, but this sounds like what my co-worker said her 3 year went thru before she got diagnosed with celiac disease. Wouldnt hurt to check that out.
  • annabananana
    Options
    sometimes it means too much iron, are you taking a multivitamin?

yes i take colon care pills and a woman's multi-vitamin! i am afraid i am gonna like die or something! this i ridiculous :/
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me...I upped my fiber by a whole lot more. Made sure I ate an apple everyday, chewed fiber tabs, drank ridiculous amounts of water....a few weeks later, things went back to normal.
  • annabananana
    Options
    How much water do you drink? It is needed to keep the fiber functioning as it should. How many grams of fiber do you eat in a day. I find MFP's default is sort of low.

i am always over on my fiber intake and drink about 3 to 4 liters of water a day
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I keep black licorice around for when I have these troubles... and if I'm out of that then I get into the anise seeds.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    -it could just be a combination of "nerves" since you have basically moved out on your own,
    nervous system plays a role in our bowel movements
    -the type of food you are now eating (again because you are no longer at home) &
    -possibly may not be eating enough(?)
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Find another Dr, (get a referral from your primary Dr.) one who specializes in gastrointestinal disorders. What you don't want is to end up in the hospital due to this, and you can...take care!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you've followed the doctor's instructions and you are feeling worse, especially if you are in pain, you should probably seek medical attention. A lot of health insurance plans have a free nurse line you can call. A pharmacist is also a good resource. If necessary, go for another PCP visit or urgent care.

No one else can quantify your pain, so listen to your body.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    by "over" your fiber are you referring to the 20 or 25 grams per day that MFP recommends? I'm at 40 grams a day as a goal.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that this happened only after moving 3.5 hours away from home to go to University. I wonder if stress could possibly be playing a part in all of this.

If you're drinking lots of fluids, making sure you move around a lot, (even just walks are good to get your insides moving) , and eating fiber (25 grams a day at least) you may want to go ahead and check in with the doctor. Can't hurt to get a professional opinion.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have personally had some issues and this is what I did
    100% cranberry juice
    1 cap-full of miralax

Those are the two things that helped me out A LOT! I had issues with my kidneys though.
    But if you do a cap of that today mixed into the 100% cranberry juice (even twice a day) it will help you out. If that doesn't work go to the doctor, there could be something serious.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    are you going when you NEED to? ie - not forcing it out so you can say to yourself .."woo,,pooped today". 'pebbles' suggests not enough fibre/moisture (to me).

One thing I read many years ago...for pooping, its normal to go every three days, up to three times a day. (My sister is an every 3 day person, I'm not)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There's always magnesium citrate. It's sold as a laxative over-the-counter in most drugstores. I was told to drink an entire bottle of it once by my doctor (prep for a lower GI X-ray for kidney stones). It works, but, Oh, the humanity. It's pretty foul tasting, too.

What it does is pull water into your GI tract, resulting in looser stools and rapid BM (1/2 to six hours after dosing). It's strongly dehydrating, though. Drink plenty of water after taking a dose. It's not fun, but it works.
  • rinwaln
    Options
    not to sound sour grapes or echo what someone has already said but the stress of a new environment probably has more to do with your regularity than your fiber intake it's not uncommon for people to back up for days just because of stress and no amount of fiber will help short of taking enough laxative to clean you out for a colonoscopy you my want to try adding some relaxation techniques to your daily routine such as meditation/quiet reflection, or yoga or heck just 30 minutes a day of reading or doing some other relaxing activity. Moving is hard but it's extra hard when it's for schooling and the like keep up the fiber and in time I'd be willing to bet things will start moving right along.