Where are you getting your health info?

Options
Suggestion: take everything you read on the forums with a grain of salt. It's ridiculous how people argue with each other over who is right and who isn't regarding health and nutrition questions & answers.

Example: one poster was asking whether there is a difference with carbs coming from whole wheat/grain, and carbs from white rice, white bread, etc. One guy said it wasn't a big deal - a carb is a carb at the end of the day. Another poster offered the advice that the poster should opt for complex carbs because they offer more nutritional benefits. Well the first guy was offended and completely blew up on the second guy. Some people just can't be wrong.

Then there are people who say to eat low carb. Others say it doesn't matter. Some say protein will make you fat. Others say the more protein the better. Honestly this drives me nuts. If you want a real answer to a serious health question, ask a person who is actually qualified and can give you a professional answer: a doctor or nutritionist. They're your best bet. Otherwise, you might have to deal with incorrect information, and a**holes who can't tolerate being told they're wrong.

Replies

• Cakepiebeer
    Options
    You're a very very VERY wise person ;)

The worst are the ones who hide behind fake avatars

btw.. I'm not giving bad advice, so my burger picture stays :)
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I could never ask you to change that avatar! I'm really really attracted to it...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of *kitten* here.
    And also a lot of really dumb and ignorant people.
    And also some tactful and intelligent people.
    Each of these people are sometimes right and sometimes wrong. Even the dummies are sometimes right and even the *kitten* are sometimes wrong. When a dummy contradicts an *kitten* with wrong information, this often irritates the *kitten* (we're talking figuratively here, so preparation-h does not apply), so then the *kitten* usually can't help but to give the dummy a schooling.

Just because someone is a sweetheart doesn't make them right. And just because someone is an *kitten* doesn't make them wrong. The trick is in learning how to do you own research and do your own fact checking.

As long as there's a forum here, people will post and post and never will everyone agree. And as long as things are slightly more amusing than they are annoying, *kitten* like me will stick around.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Exactly. If it's important to you, do your own research because with all the different information given on here, you might not know which is accurate. Ask professionals. And occassionally tell people they are wrong, even if they're right, and watch them get defensive; sit back and enjoy as they dig up articles, provide quotes, fax you a letter from their doctor, and recruit their friends to defend them...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I typically see where people are getting their information from before deciding it's really 'good'. When asking for advice on the forum, I usually like to ask for supporting evidence/research of their claims, otherwise it's just a bunch of opinion.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    "Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    sorry to disagree, but my dr is an idiot pill pusher type. He recommended I walk to the next town over and back EVERY day. (10km) Uh..sorry doc, I'll take it easy and build up to that, and switch around what I do, where and on what day.

Oh, and I know my body far better than he ever will, coz I live with it every day and can see what this or that does to it.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Then I'd say get a second and third PROFESSIONAL opinion. Do some research on medical websites. Honestly, unless you went to medical school, you aren't really qualified to decipher the wrong info from the right.

Oh, and I know my body, too; I always have. Also, I was obese, so obviously my knowing my body wasn't very useful to me. Doing research is what helped me figure out what foods to eat and exercises to perform in order to drop the weight in a healthy manner.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    so it goes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Just ask me and you'll get the right answer.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    Most of what is out there is not true....I do my research and then I do some more..then I trust me...
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nope you are all wrong! This is exactly why I get my health information from Wikipedia, conspiracy websites, and Carrot Top.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Wikipedia is my bible ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Very wise words :smile:

In saying that, some professionals can even give some strange advice at times. Lots of new studies being done all the time and many are stuck in the old ways. And that is why second and third opinions are necessary.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i get mine from experience..and the fact i am in the medical field. I do my own research on nutrition..and i for sure dont listen to the bro science on here..

'starvation mode'
    'you must eat back or you'll gain weight'
    'lift lighter with less reps'
    blah blah
  • wannababyH
    Options
    There are a lot of *kitten* here.

Truth of the day!

Today, some guy went on a 2000 word rant about my eating habits from one post he didn't fully read.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Just ask me and you'll get the right answer.

I must agree with him
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is that most arguments and disagreements are about things that would make a minuscule (or less) difference. The human body is remarkably adaptive and resilient. It's not a crisis if we eat a slice of Wonder Bread (do they still make that?) one day. We adapt, and survive.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia is my bible ;)
    I hope you're joking. The winky surely means that.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    What's wrong with wonder bread?

Where do I get my info... complex question. My HS had a class in basic nutrition that all students were required to take. It explained the roles of different things like carbs, proteins, fats, fiber, etc. I also took a few anatomy and physiology classes which taught about body fat, muscle, as well as necessary vitamins and minerals for proper hair and skin complexion.

Beyond that it's trial and error. I see what works for me based on those basic building blocks.