A question for something that has been bugging me!!

Options
Morning guys,

I have a question diet related to ask as I have read so many conflicting messages and tried so many different things I dont know what to do.

Q. If my main goal is FAT LOSS what sort of diet is best to achieve this???

I have read loads to say LOW CALORIES but my PT says its all about eating 5/6 times a day and aiming for a protein target in g's equal to my body weight in lbs. ie (190g protein per day)

How have you guys who have lost the weight done it and what do you recommend???

Thanks

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I honestly lost through exercise and eating better(IE lean meats, fruits) and not eating out as much.. Only like once or twice in a week.

A good combo of cardio and strength is prob. what your looking for to lose fat.. but others will chime in shortly I'm sure :)
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you're 100% purely focused on fat loss, you don't need to focus on protein. I lost 100lbs by eating 5 small meals, each of around 300-500 calories per day (you might want to eat less, if your starting weight is lower), reducing my intake of sodium and saturated fat, drinking a ton of water and doing a butt load of cardio. Of course, that will just lose you weight, if you want to tone as well, you'll need to adapt that.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that on the recommendation of my dr I have been having my allocated calories but split them between three meals and as he is a fitness freak running marathons etc, I have listened to him. He told me not to get too tied in with Carbs/Fat/Protein just make sure that I eat my 1500 calories a day and exercise every other day and that is what I have been doing. I save 1000 calories for the evening meal so that I can sit down with my family and eat the same food as them.
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My Training (excercise) side of things is great. 3 x Weight training per week, 1 x HIIT, and a game of football on the weekend.

Its just the diet side that drives me nuts with all these different messages. the thing im starting to see though is the people saying to eat high protein and dont count calories werent fat in the first place.

Yet the calorie counters with little or no snacking were more my weight and more to start with.
  • sweatymary
    Options
    Your PT agrees with mine ... small meals often, healthy balanced diet, low sodium and sat. fat, mix of cardio and strength training ... slow and surely wins the race :-D
  • birdinho
    Options
    If you're 100% purely focused on fat loss, you don't need to focus on protein. I lost 100lbs by eating 5 small meals, each of around 300-500 calories per day (you might want to eat less, if your starting weight is lower), reducing my intake of sodium and saturated fat, drinking a ton of water and doing a butt load of cardio. Of course, that will just lose you weight, if you want to tone as well, you'll need to adapt that.

first up well done on the 100lb loss!!!

I do want to tone as well and i train heavy weights 3 times a week but i just feel that by counting my protein intake im consuming too many calories to lose weight. I wouldnt mind weighing what I do now but with body fat lower.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    Those 5-6 BALANCED meals will keep the metabolism burning fat, complexed carbs, lean protein, and lower the saturated fats and sodium. Push it in the gym resistant training with cardio, and you will be great.
  • SeanC86
    Options
    I have heard the rule of Protein based on weight, but never in lbs. I always heard per kilograms... mostly cause 190g of protein seems like it would be a LOT of calories to consume. The main reasons people eat a lot of protein is for muscle growth and because it takes times to break down in your system, which makes you feel fuller, longer.

I notice that when I'm working out, MFP suggests I consume my weight in protein (in kgs, not lbs) on a pretty consistent basis. On average, it says to have about 75grams of protein... which is about right for my weight (170lbs ~ 77kg) and I do notice that I feel fuller longer when doing so.

All in all, everyone's body is different. Some people need extra calories (I feel I may be in that category) based on the lifestyle they have. Every day for me is different, as some days I have full body armor on, which requires more work, and some days I don't do a whole lot and work with computers all day long. Hope this makes a little bit of sense.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    my hubby is a personal trainer....he says the same exact thing, almost verbatim! lol Meal, snack, meal, snack, meal, snack. Eat lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies, good starchy carbs, brown rice, sweet potato, beans, grains (i.e. quinoa), oatmeal, stear clear of potatoes, bread if possible...if not eat high fiber whole grain bread, processed starchy carbs, and good fats, olive oil, nuts, avacado etc. He told me to eat my weight in grams of protein too, but, I had to scale that back. I try to follow the 40-30-30 rule, 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I weight train 3 days a week and run/cardio the other days. I make sure I eat something about an hour before my workout and reload after, a protein shake typically. He also recommends front loading your calories, eating your biggest meals at the beginning of the day, and it smaller at the end. I definately think that eating every 2-3 hrs keeps your metabolism running and burning calories.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    It really depends on you! Jillian Michaels had a quiz in her 1st book that told you what pecentage of carbs/fat/protein you needed to eat based on your answers to lose weight! I need to eat more protein and that works for me, some people need to eat more carbs! One trick I find works amazing for me, is to not eat carbs or have very limited carbs after 5 pm. My suppers are all protein's and steamed veggies! Egg white omelettes actually make for a very filling supper. Good luck!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Those 5-6 BALANCED meals will keep the metabolism burning fat, complexed carbs, lean protein, and lower the saturated fats and sodium. Push it in the gym resistant training with cardio, and you will be great.

This.

I am not there yet, but everywhere, I have seen the same advice.
    I have set my numbers to 40% prot/40% carbs/20% fat with an average calorie deficit, add resistance training, and cardio (preferably HIIT but I see you're doing it already).
    You seem on the right track!

EDIT: For the prot/carbs/fat percentages, you will want to adjust them slightly sometimes, or if you plateau. Just keep your body in shock.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

6 meals doesn't increase your metabolism!
    KeyboardFaceSmash.gif
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

KeyboardFaceSmash.gif

don't think he said it increases your metabolism, just said it keeps it going by giving your body fuel throughout the day
  • PBJunky
    Options

KeyboardFaceSmash.gif

don't think he said it increases your metabolism, just said it keeps it going by giving your body fuel throughout the day

Whether you have 5 meals, 12 meals. 24 meals or even 1...it has no to minimal effect on your metabolism. I have one massive feast for 2 hours every evening and my metabolism is going strong.
  • birdinho
    Options

KeyboardFaceSmash.gif

Whether you have 5 meals, 12 meals. 24 meals or even 1...it has no to minimal effect on your metabolism. I have one massive feast for 2 hours every evening and my metabolism is going strong.

So what do you suggest???
  • PBJunky
    Options
    So what do you suggest???

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Have your meals whenever you feel like, as long as you meet your macros each day. If you need any other help pm me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My Training (excercise) side of things is great. 3 x Weight training per week, 1 x HIIT, and a game of football on the weekend.

Its just the diet side that drives me nuts with all these different messages. the thing im starting to see though is the people saying to eat high protein and dont count calories werent fat in the first place.

Yet the calorie counters with little or no snacking were more my weight and more to start with.

i think you just have to find what works for you. some people swear by low carb, some people eat clean, some people have 6 meals per day... its each to their own.

personally i go for everything in moderation, i try and get my 5 a day (some days mroe successfully than others!) and i try to eat a fair amount of protein as i am trying to tone and maybe even build a bit of muscle. i snack if i'm hungry, on nuts/cereal bars/slice of ham etc, and i have treats if i want them - just not every day!
  • marie111
    marie111 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi so what ur saying is if i weight 185lb i should be eating around 83kg in protein so what percentage is that for pro/fat/carb/sugar ADVISE me please.
  • marie111
    marie111 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump