Can you run too much??

Options
I'm new to running. I've been doing the Couch to 5K program and inbetween days your supposed to have a rest day. If I wanted to run on my rest days would that be a good thing to do? I know exercise wise it is....but I'm worried I'm going to "over" do it.

Replies

• jaysen05
    jaysen05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it, but you run the risk of burn out.
  • Sparky32
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert, but I've heard a lot of people talking about how running long distances is more damaging than it's worth. Why don't you try something like sprints? They help you run faster, burn a lot of calories, and they're more natural, I think.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You said you just started...there is a reason they tell you to take a "rest day." It doesn't mean you can't exercise though walk, ride a bike, do weight work, but just don't run.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Its best to rest, other wise you risk hurting yourself.
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just run one extra day, for C25K. I'm on week 8, usually I just double day 2. If I'm feeling worn down, I just run easy, instead of pushing like I normally would. Just listen to your body.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Since you are a new runner, I would find another workout for your days in between C25k runs. Lift weights, ride a bike, etc. Running everyday from the beginning (rather than building up to it) increases your chances of injury.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Your body needs rest. You also risk the chance of injury.
    I would just follow the program and cross train on the off days.
    I run 4 days a week (during half marathon training) and while I feel the urge to run on non-run days I don't run. I cross train... elliptical, spin class, ARC Trainer.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    if you are doing the C25k,then you are probably really new to running. therefore, you need rest days. you risk injurying yourself, and that can undo a lot of good that you've done. try doing some kind of weights or circuit training on your days off. take a yoga class, or go for a swim.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running and you overdo it you run a much larger risk of injury (especially to knees, ankles, shins). The reason the Couch to 5K program is 3 days a week is to PREVENT those sort of injuries and build you up to running for 30 minutes SLOWLY. The body needs rest days. When I did the program I did run a 4th day each week, but that was all. On my off days I would either walk, ride a stationary bike or hit the elliptical.... all low impact exercises but still good cardio.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already said so but basically yes you can run too much just like you can lift weights too much etc...

Running is high impact. You can hurt your joints, your shins, your feet, your ankles. You need to build up the muscles and ligaments. I know in the beginning we want to tear off and max ourselves out right away but that leads to injury. Please take your time, use your rest days, and build yourself up from there.

In July I started running again and after two miles I was spent. Now in November I'm doing 8.5 mile runs. It took time to get there, and I run 3-4x a week.

Best of luck.
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    REST! You put yourself at risk of injury, overtraining, and burn out! REST REST REST!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    There's a scary article Men's Health put out about running marathons and the damage it can do to your heart... I suppose it's an alarmist type of article.

But, you CAN run too much. You can over-train. You should be taking days between runs for recovery. This is why they say walking is better because there's no time to recover and you can do it for hours at a time. But if your legs feel fresh, keep going. Just make sure to listen to your body and rest when you need to. Or just change to something that has less impact on you, like the elliptical or rowing or something.
  • mono08
    mono08 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too would worry about burn-out. I don't think enough is mentioned to how good a long walk is. Or if you want to try more higher intensity work-outs, try biking, spinning, hiking, yoga, zumba, Body Pump classes, elliptical...

Not sure where you are in the C25K program, I'm in week 8 and do various classes in between the running days. "Active Rest"

Good Luck.
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    if you are doing the C25k,then you are probably really new to running. therefore, you need rest days. you risk injurying yourself, and that can undo a lot of good that you've done. try doing some kind of weights or circuit training on your days off. take a yoga class, or go for a swim.

This is true. If you're new to running it's always best to take it easy. I run extra, but I've been a runner a long time. I was out of shape, so I figured C25K would ease me back in without having to think to much about it.
  • Dave59
    Dave59 Posts: 28
    Options
    Everyone is different so if you want to run extra, give it a try. If you start hurting, put some rest days back in the schedule. The most common problems that people new to running have are with their shins and feet (heel/arch).

I ran high school track and cross country and then have run on and off for the past 30+ years. The last 10 years I have run more than ever. You'll learn when to back off running and switch to cross training. Just don't get discouraged with early set backs.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years. Marathons, halfs, you name it. Im getting back to it after a knee injury. Miss it so much! A day off is worth it to keep yourself injury free and stay motivated. Also, mix it up with trail running, street running and treadmill (not a fan) but it is less stress on knees to mix it up. Varied surfaces. I added an eliptical or a bike day, just to get some low impact. Hard not to run on those days. Great work!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure about the advice to keep going and listen to your body when you are this new to running. it takes time to understand your body and the signals it's giving you with new exercise routines, and you do risk injury in these early stages of becoming a runner if you don't take days to rest. i have to agree with the people who say cross train on your rest days.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Agreed, rest (as in find a different exercise for the in between days). As a new runner, your body needs time to build up to be able to handle that kind of impact without injury. When I would push too hard in the beginning, I ended up hurt and then couldn't run at all for a week. Not where you want to be. Strength training is good to do on your in between days, and will help improve your running. I used this website to come up with a routine: www.nerdfitness.com

Or as others said, a walk, biking, elliptical, a video, etc.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running and doing the Couch to 5K, don't run in the in-between days. C25K is a gradual program so you don't want to overdo it. I would do strength training on those days and maybe some light cardio. That's what I did and it worked out great.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Running is great for you :-). However not giving your body recovery time and only running for cardio is going to be hard on your body. If you want to squeeze in workout on your rest days or extra workouts try swimming, biking, ellipticals, Stairmasters, fitness classes (usually free with a gym membership), rowing, strength training, etc....