Body Fat

Options
What's the best way to measure body fat? I'd like for my goals to be more about losing body fat than lbs, but am not sure I have an accurate way to measure this...

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod test
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I am not sure, but I was excited that I hit 18.5% this morning!!! Hell Yea!
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I used the hand held thing at the gym.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    DEXA scan
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Most accurate way is either a BodPod, dexxa scan, or water submersion. After that is a multi-site caliper by someone with ALOT of experience.

Looking at your profile pick, I'd say you're in the neighborhood of 19-21%.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Body fat calipers are probably the best when considering convenience, accuracy, and cost.

The calculated bf% won't be accurate but it should be close enough. You can monitor the skin fold at your suprailiac (right above your hip bone) and see if you're percentage is going up or down.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bodpod or hydrostatic weighing
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've had the impedance done, and it came in at 23.4% but that can be greatly effected by hydration level. I've read that the navy calculator (which is just done on measurements) was closest to the body pod (I think that is what it's called) which is the most accurate. The navy calculator gave me 26%. I've never had calipers done but I don't know that they are that great either. My biggest fat stores is my inner thighs and calipers aren't done there. And lastly I had ninerbuff (MFPer and trainer) guess based on pictures which is something he's good at due to 29+ years experience measuring it, and he said 25%.

My goal is 18-20% body fat but ultimately I'm just going to keep going until I'm happy with what I see in the mirror or pictures.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Probably the most important thing is to use the same method and compare RELATIVE differences. Whether those measurements are accurate to your bodyfat in general is another thing. As long as the method is repeatably accurate so you can determine relative difference. ie... 20% to 17%. The 3% diff is what you are really looking at. ie.. if you used bodpod vs the handheld, it might measure 23% to 20%. But the 3% differential is the same.

so don't use bodpod today and then try to use calipers next month. You won't get any reliable comparisons that way
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Probably the most important thing is to use the same method and compare RELATIVE differences. Whether those measurements are accurate to your bodyfat in general is another thing. As long as the method is repeatably accurate so you can determine relative difference. ie... 20% to 17%. The 3% diff is what you are really looking at. ie.. if you used bodpod vs the handheld, it might measure 23% to 20%. But the 3% differential is the same.

so don't use bodpod today and then try to use calipers next month. You won't get any reliable comparisons that way

QFT

Which is why I suggested calipers. It's cheap, easy, and with enough practice, it's consistent because it's either you or a spouse/friend doing the measuring all the time. The actual calculated bf% isn't as important as the changes in your calculated bf%.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    no good, no good.

I had that test 2 weeks ago,, guess what,, it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off,, The last time I had it done, it was 42% then last week, it said I had 47% fat even though I lost weight since last test. There is NO WAY that I been losing weight and gain body fat, so I called my doc and she said based on my height and current weight, I should be around 38%.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    no good, no good.

I had that test 2 weeks ago,, guess what,, it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off,, The last time I had it done, it was 42% then last week, it said I had 47% fat even though I lost weight since last test. There is NO WAY that I been losing weight and gain body fat, so I called my doc and she said based on my height and current weight, I should be around 38%.

You are correct, the handhelds are pretty sensitive to hydration. In fact, they are USED to measure hydration differences. So you have to try to go at the same time of day and try to maintain your same hydration levels. ie.. don't get measured after drinking a gallon of water one time and get measured right after a marathon cardio session the next.
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    no good, no good.

You are correct, the handhelds are pretty sensitive to hydration. In fact, they are USED to measure hydration differences. So you have to try to go at the same time of day and try to maintain your same hydration levels. ie.. don't get measured after drinking a gallon of water one time and get measured right after a marathon cardio session the next.

When I belonged to a gym and I would test body fat with the hand held if I didn't lost they always had an excuse and just had me redo it until it came up the same or that I lost. I knew then something was not right
  • Jeff92se
    Options

QFT

Which is why I suggested calipers. It's cheap, easy, and with enough practice, it's consistent because it's either you or a spouse/friend doing the measuring all the time. The actual calculated bf% isn't as important as the changes in your calculated bf%.

I agree. I guess when the numbers are getting into the low teens, the most accurate method is going to matter. Because you are getting down to where losing any more weight is going to be seriously tough (or even not recommended anymore). But the most of us, consistency is key
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    7 site skin fold calipers done by someone who is experienced.

To those who think they are storing fat in unique places unlike the rest of us humans... you're not as unique as you think you are. The tests take all that information into account. That is precisely why you would never want calipers applied to areas where fat is more heavily deposited, because it would throw off all the calculations.

Every system of BF% measurement has its inherent shortcomings. Relative fluid, time of year affecting dryness of skin, ability to exhale all the air from your body, etc, etc.

The comment about relative testing, using the same method multiple times, is the key. If using the same type of test measure 20%, then 18%, then 15%, then 12%, if each reading is off 4%, they are likely off in the same direction. I might have anywhere from 8%-16%, reporting at 12%. But I can reasonably say in my example that I went down by 8% from 20 to 12. The 12% BF is not as important as the net change of 8%.

By the way, the nurse who administers my skin fold testing guarantees to me that she is within +/-2%. She is contracted by 2 area High Schools to administer the tests weekly during wrestling season. If any of those kids fall below 6% they are not allowed to wrestle that week. She's been doing it 15 years.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have a six year old body fat scale and a almost three month old Omron Handheld Body Fat monitor (The ones gyms uses) and they both give me the same reading. I've trusted my scale for all these years and I just wanted to get a second device to see if it holds up to my scale and it does.

A lot of people like the Omron Handheld Body fat monitor.

Use what's best for you. Me personally, I would not pay money to get my body fat percentage measured each month. I check my body fat percentage monthly.

Every device has error. They only 100% accuracy method is an autopsy.

My sister has one of those new scales that also measure water. Prior to getting my Omron Handheld Body fat monitor, I have did a monthly weigh in on her scale, since I was at her house and the scale gave me a 1% difference reading than my scale at home.

A lot of people will claim that body fat scales and the Omron handheld body fat monitor isn't accurate, because it doesn't give the same reading back to back. Well, the same thing can happen with a weight. Plus, a person can weigh one amount on their home scale and be a different weight on another scale, such as the doctor's scale or another person's scale. A person can even own two scales and get two different readings.

Again, stick with what's comfortable to you. The body fat method is letting you see your fat loss progress.

I would never trade my devices for anything. I don't care if they aren't 100% accurate. They are accurate to me.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I have a six year old body fat scale and a almost three month old Omron Handheld Body Fat monitor (The ones gyms uses) and they both give me the same reading. I've trusted my scale for all these years and I just wanted to get a second device to see if it holds up to my scale and it does.

A lot of people like the Omron Handheld Body fat monitor.

Use what's best for you. Me personally, I would not pay money to get my body fat percentage measured each month. I check my body fat percentage monthly.

Every device has error. They only 100% accuracy method is an autopsy.

My sister has one of those new scales that also measure water. Prior to getting my Omron Handheld Body fat monitor, I have did a monthly weigh in on her scale, since I was at her house and the scale gave me a 1% difference reading than my scale at home.

A lot of people will claim that body fat scales and the Omron handheld body fat monitor isn't accurate, because it doesn't give the same reading back to back. Well, the same thing can happen with a weight. Plus, a person can weigh one amount on their home scale and be a different weight on another scale, such as the doctor's scale or another person's scale. A person can even own two scales and get two different readings.

Again, stick with what's comfortable to you. The body fat method is letting you see your fat loss progress.

I would never trade my devices for anything. I don't care if they aren't 100% accurate. They are accurate to me.

Not sure how that really helps. The important thing is to use ONE type of device (the same one if possible) to track differences in bodyfat %. Not really WHICH device is better.