protein shakes?

Options
Hello guys, I'm a vegetarian plus not having milk other than soya milk for other reasons. I still eat eggs and cheese tho. The problem is my protein intake is not more than 15% no matter how hard I try. I'm eating too much carbs I know and I want to limit them this week, however I don't know what I can do about proteins. I'm already drinking my soya milk everyday, and some yoghurt, cheese, eggs etc. Don't think I can eat more of these... Shall I start using protein supplements like shakes etc or is there another way? I also work out 5-6 days a week atm. Eating around 1400 cal. Thanks in advance guys :( x

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I would definitely look at protein shakes. I drink Muscle milk. 32g protein.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Tofu?
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    I drink Myoplex, 42 g of protein. Tastes OK too
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I drink 100% whey gold standard, its pretty good
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    nuts are a good source of protein as well. there's also hummus and tofu. a protein shake won't be bad either :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    beans! tons of beans, get your protein in... add hemp seed or hemp hearts to your intake, great protein while avoiding whey for your vegetarian choices
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Definitely add protein shakes/powder to your diet. I like Pure Protein.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology, it will give you energy to do your workouts too.
    Also Greek yogurt is super rich in protein,
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    beans! tons of beans, get your protein in... add hemp seed or hemp hearts to your intake, great protein while avoiding whey for your vegetarian choices

good idea ... here's another post from this morning with more protein shake ideas ... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383049-protein-shake
  • runningartist
    runningartist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love EAS AdvantEDGE. Chocolate and Vanialla are both good and awesome after a GREAT workout. They contain milk though and soy. You can also try Muscile Milk which is free of those products.
  • tifmarie9
    tifmarie9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian too. Tofu is a great source of protein (you can cube it, slice it, blend it mixed with olive oil and spices to make a "alfredo sauce", etc), Tempeh is good and could be served with rice and veggies, beans of all kinds, hummus. There are a lot of protein sources out there that don't come from animal products so eat a variety. I do drink a smoothie in the morning. It's a mix of banana, blueberries, flax seed oil, spinach, and soy or rice milk with ice blended. A very good breakfast that you can change up with different fruits. Banana helps as a sweetener so you don't have to add any sugar or any other sweetener.
  • shannld
    Options
    I do morning protein shakes with almond milk, fresh or frozen berries, spinach and some hemp protein powder. I really like Manitoba Harvest vanilla hemp protein powder, check it out!

http://manitobaharvest.com/
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian; GNC makes a great soy protein shake mix (95). I personally like the vanilla flavor more than the chocolate. It helps me to get more protein, and I use the shakes most when I am training for a race or getting sluggish from long workouts. I have tried other protein powders that use hemp protein, but they had a strange taste. Shakeology shakes are also a good fit. They have whey protein, and I have a dairy allergy so I need to be careful with that brand. Hope this helps :wink:

P.S. Do you eat nuts, legumes, and beans for dietary protein? Also, almond milk is a great milk substitute with plenty of portein and low calories. Almond flour is another option for baking higher protein muffins and breads.
  • Bandie77
    Options
    Ohhh.. i would totally make some protein shakes! There are even Protein bars out there that are great. I acutally just finished a Supreme Protein Carb conscious Peanut butter and jelly bar. 15g of protein!
    I also found a great website with tons of protein shake recipes. *just google protein shakes*
    Personally i DO NOT like the whey protein shakes, but if you add some "Stuff" to them.. They are good!

ex: A Latte shake (i drink this in the morning)

1 scoop Vanilla whey protein
    1 tbsp instant coffee
    1 cup water
    1 cup ice.

Throw it all in the blender and voila... kick butt Protein shake.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    don't vegans come in male?
  • shanjen27
    shanjen27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My fave is "The Lean Shake" by GNC, I like the Swiss Chocolate flavor. It also comes in Vanilla and Rich Chocolate. Just add 8 oz. of cold water and enjoy! Def. make sure to use the shaker cup with a whisker ball inside. It will make the shake creamy :-)
  • LadySylvanas
    LadySylvanas Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies I'm definitely gonna try the shakes then! I don't really like beans and never tried tofu but will definitely add them to my diet soon.
    I'm not eating nuts either, I actually used to like them but we never buy them for some reason (don't really know why :O). Will surely add them on my shopping list this week.
    Thanks again for the help guys really appreciate it x
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Beans/ legumes have a good deal of protein in them. I would consider almond milk, almond ''cheeses", "almond "yogurt" and nuts in general for more protein. Brown rice and quinoa also have a good bit of protein as well.

Reason for suggesting almond milk products over soy milk is phytoestrogen, which has been presented as slowing/ inhibiting protein absorption and causing hormone imbalances. Certainly do your own research though!
  • zoezoe64
    Options
    Where do you buy almond milk and whey powder from please?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    almond milk is in the shelved juice aisle at my grocers... and whey powder I buy from a bulk store (loose products in bulk bins that you scoop out ONLY as much as you want not having to get a manufacturers pre-packaged size) there are tons of options for protein powders at 'health' stores and Walmart too but their price is about $30 a lb vs the $15 a lb I pay by not paying for the special container and labelling.