Who Does HIIT training

Options
Wondering how many people do HIIT and how is it working for you? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am week 4, on my treadmill. 30 sec up 30 sec rest for 8 intervals. I am going to attempt by week 8 to be doing 12 intervals with 30 sec up and 30 sec rest.. This is being performed 3 days a week.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Wondering how many people do HIIT and how is it working for you? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am week 4, on my treadmill. 30 sec up 30 sec rest for 8 intervals. I am going to attempt by week 8 to be doing 12 intervals with 30 sec up and 30 sec rest.. This is being performed 3 days a week.
    What's the difference in speeds?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I do the HIIT described in my workout blog below. I love it.

My understanding is that its difficult to do HIIT on a treadmill because it takes time to adjust the MPH up and down.....and sometimes you don't go down enough to get a true rest period so you can truly max out during the work periods. have you thought about doing the sprint intervals outside?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

My understanding is that its difficult to do HIIT on a treadmill because it takes time to adjust the MPH up and down.....and sometimes you don't go down enough to get a true rest period so you can truly max out during the work periods. have you thought about doing the sprint intervals outside?
    This is why I do 45 seconds sprint and 30 seconds rest since it takes time for the treadmill to pick up speed. On an ARC trainer I just crank it up to the level 100 resistance and do TABATA on it. Really gasses you out.
  • harley_rose
    Options

Slow speed is 3 my Faster I can do is 7 with incline of 2
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i only been doing it a week and feel better and lost 2 lbs (i had recently gained 5 from eating bad,) so i'm loving it.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I do my HIIT on the elliptical. 30 seconds on (15-20mph???) and 90 seconds off (around 6mph, but one time I could barely keep myself at 5.5 during that time I was so tired!)
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    These were my thoughts exactly. I mean the only way I can think of doing HIIT effectively on a treadmil sounds pretty dangerous and doesn't involve ramping the speed back down, but merely lifting your feet off the treadmil and too the side. ONCE AGAIN, DANGEROUS IN MY MIND.

• harley_rose
    Options

I take into account the time to get up to speed then the 30 sec starts, i have it on an incline so I have to keep up with the treadmill.. As far as the rest I jump off to the side then walk it off get back on and crack it up again.. It seems to work because by the time I am done I am starving for air and ready to cry
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do it every other day. The way my treadmill works I cannot keep it straight with 30 sec times so I do 1 minutes at 6.0 and 1 minute at 3.5 with a 2.1 incline. Do this for 27 minutes. It is a killer.Did it for about two weeks. Go sick took one week off started again today. It was very hard. Did better when I first started. Have lost at least 5 pounds and quite a few inches. Love doing it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Slow speed is 3 my Faster I can do is 7 with incline of 2
    Sounds good. Just keep working on upping the intervals.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My understanding of HIIT is that you need to go all out during those intervals for the max effect.I can see that as difficult on a treadmill. I liked to do it on a rowing machine. I still want to get one for the house one of these days.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I walked 1000 miles (OK exagerration) and never lost a pound until I added mixed interval training to my treadmill workout. Then, my heart rate went up and the pounds came off. I have a manual incline treadmill and follow this 39 minute workout 3 times per week (although some weeks I run or bike instead of 1 treadmill workout).

http://exercise.about.com/library/blmixedinterval.htm

After 6 months, I still get a good workout on my treadmill using that schedule.
  • bhoochy
    bhoochy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    oh I am and I love it....burns the calories so fast....I do 15 secs as hard as I can, anything over that I"m not really going as hard as I can. I started resting for 45 secs but am not at 30 but that is even getting to be a little easy so I'm about to go to 15:15. I love it. I have great results when I do it. I only do it tops 2-3 times a week. Good luck =)
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    Serious question ~ If you do this without the rest periods does it do the same thing?
  • meetandkiss
    Options
    I do it on the elliptical, the one where you can adjust the resistance and the height. I do 5 min warm up with my heart rate any where between 65-75% exertion. Then I do one min where my heart rate is 75-85% exertion. Then I repeat that 2 more times, with a 5 min cool down. You can figure out the percentages by this formula:

220-your age= maximum heart rate

Take your maximum heart rate and then multiple by each percentage to figure out that zones. For example mine would be:

220-25= 195

195 x .65 = 127

195 x .75 = 146 so my 65-75% heart rate zone is 127-146 beats per min, and my 75-85% zone is 146- 165 beats per min.

Hope that helps!! Good luck!
  • H_Factor
    Options
    Serious question ~ If you do this without the rest periods does it do the same thing?

no. you can only work at your max for so long...so, if you don't have rest periods then either: (a) your workout will last less than a minute tops; or (b) you aren't really maxing out during the work period.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You can't do it without the rest periods. If you're going all out, then the time shouldn't be at the very MOST 30 seconds. I would even put it at 20 seconds.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

The point of it is short bursts of energy - you're supposed to get your heart rate up and then bring it back down again.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I do it on the elliptical, the one where you can adjust the resistance and the height. I do 5 min warm up with my heart rate any where between 65-75% exertion. Then I do one min where my heart rate is 75-85% exertion. Then I repeat that 2 more times, with a 5 min cool down. You can figure out the percentages by this formula:

Take your maximum heart rate and then multiple by each percentage to figure out that zones. For example mine would be:

220-25= 195

195 x .65 = 127

195 x .75 = 146 so my 65-75% heart rate zone is 127-146 beats per min, and my 75-85% zone is 146- 165 beats per min.

That's intervals then and not HIIT. HIIT is ALL OUT (100% effort) and your heart rate will be at max and maybe even over.
  • H_Factor
    Options

220-25= 195

195 x .65 = 127

I aim for 90% plus during the work periods (so 170-180) and drop down under 125 during the rest period before I do another work period.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I'm 40 so technically my max is 180....although at ninerbuff alluded to above, there have been times that my work interval creeps a little above 180.