What's your secret?

Options

Replies

• AmythistRae
    Options
    LOL you might find it silly, but mine is 1 cup of coffee a day. The caffine helps get rid of the excess sodium and also the excess water weight.

awesome!!!! thanks
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    Just the counting calories thing. It's AMAZING! Haha. I seriously feel like such a dork, because it's SO much easier to just EAT LESS! And eat healthy! Before I would eat whatever and then try to work it off in the gym. Wow, that's a lot of work! Just being conscius of what I'm putting in my body is doing wonders for me. :bigsmile:
    My secret is the opposite. LOL I find it really easy to go to the gym, work HARD, run, weights, everything, but restricting my eating is what is difficult for me. So my secret is lots of exercise-- it lets you eat more, and I find that when I work my tail off, I am less inclined to eat crappy afterwards.
    And also just to not eat things your great-grandmother wouldn't have eaten, just as a rule. It's hard to get too full/too fat on healthy foods-- it's just almost difficult to fit in too many calories.

But really, I agree with a previous poster. The only real "secret" is to eat less and move more. True story!

that is where I disagree, the eat less move more theory....I am actually eating more and moving more....I used to eat one meal a day and 5 timmies...

Now I eat three meals a day and one snack sometimes....my smoothies keep me pretty full...
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Eating clean in addition to eating less.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be a video, a run, or a structured event at the gym. I can turn my children into weight equipment and they think we are just playing.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be a video, a run, or a structured event at the gym. I can turn my children into weight equipment and they think we are just playing.

that is awesome
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My secret is that I quit looking to food as a source of pleasure (or as a goal within itself) and started seeing it as a means to heal my body and give it the nutrients it needs to feel its best. Most of our biggest killers like heart disease, strokes, diabetes, cancer and auto-immune diseases can be prevented, and often reversed by simply switching from SAD (standard american diet) to a whole-foods plant-based diet. There were so many foods that I thought I couldn't live without (cheese, eggs, white bread), and now I realize that I can't live WITH them. Surprisingly, when I quit looking to food as a source of pleasure, it began to taste better than ever before. I also feel better than I ever did before, so I don't have to constantly battle with myself to eat in moderation. I just sit back and enjoy all the healthy food I want and watch the pounds fall off.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    My secret is that I quit looking to food as a source of pleasure (or as a goal within itself) and started seeing it as a means to heal my body and give it the nutrients it needs to feel its best. Most of our biggest killers like heart disease, strokes, diabetes, cancer and auto-immune diseases can be prevented, and often reversed by simply switching from SAD (standard american diet) to a whole-foods plant-based diet. There were so many foods that I thought I couldn't live without (cheese, eggs, white bread), and now I realize that I can't live WITH them. Surprisingly, when I quit looking to food as a source of pleasure, it began to taste better than ever before. I also feel better than I ever did before, so I don't have to constantly battle with myself to eat in moderation. I just sit back and enjoy all the healthy food I want and watch the pounds fall off.

That is awesome and inspiring...thank you....
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Well you've basically gotta get your mind into the game. Fight those cravings and understand and accept that the new things you're doing are forever. And learn to indulge every once and awhile but don't let it control you. That's the hardest part though. Everybody is different, has different motivations, different willpower, etc.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    I have discovered I no longer have cravings....EVER....I walk away easily from ice cream anything white....grains all of it...without any real struggle....I think it might be the green smoothies...but it is true your motivation has to be there...for me this is a new way of life...not a diet not a weight loss program...just new food that I love...
    I eat to live now instead of living to eat...
    I am actually getting a kick out of searching for healthy versions...it doesn't mean never eat your favorites..just never pig out on your favorites.. i have not yet felt a desire to eat any of them but that is because I am creating new Favorites..
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    Everyone of us are here for the same thing...To get healthy...We are all experts, all novices. Working together will get us to the finish line faster.

What is your best kept secret to your weight loss? the one or two specials things you do that seem to work like a charm???

For me it is green smoothies twice a day....I have been dropping weight rapidly. It ups my energy, makes me feel great and I am down 14 pounds in two weeks....wooohoooo....I also love my juicer...if I need sweet...juice it baby....My cravings are pretty well gone, I don't do timmies any more and I was ADDICTED! 5 steep tea double double's a day. My sugar is nothing other than natural...My salt, haven't touched it....Fat?? who wants it...my suppers are salad and sometimes meat...I feel great....

what are you doing????

I am not sure if you can call this a secret or what but I think its all in the mind. I strongly believe that our mental attitude is the most important part in staying/being physically fit. What our mind can conceive our body can achieve. This journey has thought me self control, discipline, determination, perseverance, patience and even consistency.
  • Anill42
    Anill42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    may i ask, what is a 'timmie'?
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options

<b>that is where I disagree, the eat less move more theory</b>....I am actually eating more and moving more....I used to eat one meal a day and 5 timmies...

Now I eat three meals a day and one snack sometimes....my smoothies keep me pretty full...
    The 'given' in that sentense is calories, if it's not self-explanatory. :)

eta: totally agree though, that moving more, and eating more, is golden. LOL That actually totally meshes with my first post. But the calorie equation just needs to work out to moving... more than you eat!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Not seeing food as an enemy and Jillian Michaels ;)
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    may i ask, what is a 'timmie'?

Tim Horton's is a coffee shop and my addiction was steeped tea double doubles....
  • AmythistRae
    Options

<b>that is where I disagree, the eat less move more theory</b>....I am actually eating more and moving more....I used to eat one meal a day and 5 timmies...

The given is eating...I don't agree with the calories in and out....Our stomach does not have a program in it that calculates how many calories each item has...the calorie numbers are man made....our stomach understands amounts of food...too much at once..storage...too much sugar storage....too much fat storage...easy to digest out it goes...hard to digest storage...it is not sitting there going OMG you only ate 1000 calories.....shame on you....it is saying you did not give us enough to function....or you gave us too much.....

That is all in my opinion...I am not out to argue with anyone....I have just discovered for me that if I am eating easy to digest food and am taking care of my body...I am making up for what I have done to it that was not good..
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    Everyone of us are here for the same thing...To get healthy...We are all experts, all novices. Working together will get us to the finish line faster.

What is your best kept secret to your weight loss? the one or two specials things you do that seem to work like a charm???

For me it is green smoothies twice a day....I have been dropping weight rapidly. It ups my energy, makes me feel great and I am down 14 pounds in two weeks....wooohoooo....I also love my juicer...if I need sweet...juice it baby....My cravings are pretty well gone, I don't do timmies any more and I was ADDICTED! 5 steep tea double double's a day. My sugar is nothing other than natural...My salt, haven't touched it....Fat?? who wants it...my suppers are salad and sometimes meat...I feel great....

what are you doing????

I am not sure if you can call this a secret or what but I think its all in the mind. I strongly believe that our mental attitude is the most important part in staying/being physically fit. What our mind can conceive our body can achieve. This journey has thought me self discipline, determination, perseverance, patience and even consistency.

Thank you.....that is awesome and helpful....it is true it shouldn't be a secret...but it seems like a great word...makes us feel like we are finding something out no one else knows....
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options

The given is eating...I don't agree with the calories in and out....Our stomach does not have a program in it that calculates how many calories each item has...the calorie numbers are man made....our stomach understands amounts of food...too much at once..storage...too much sugar storage....too much fat storage...easy to digest out it goes...hard to digest storage...it is not sitting there going OMG you only ate 1000 calories.....shame on you....it is saying you did not give us enough to function....or you gave us too much.....

That is all in my opinion...I am not out to argue with anyone....I have just discovered for me that if I am eating easy to digest food and am taking care of my body...I am making up for what I have done to it that was not good..
    Our stomach isn't a computer, but our body burns or stores that which we feed it-- calories are just another word for energy, afterall, right?
    I think that's pretty straightforward science, actually, but whatever thought process gets people healthier is a good one, IMO. :) Honestly, though, I don't choose to "believe" or "not agree" with science, though, it just is. :)
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options

Our stomach isn't a computer, but our body burns or stores that which we feed it-- calories are just another word for energy, afterall, right?
    I think that's pretty straightforward science, actually, but whatever thought process gets people healthier is a good one, IMO. :) Honestly, though, I don't choose to "believe" or "not agree" with science, though, it just is. :)
  • bloodguilt
    Options

what are you doing????

I am not sure if you can call this a secret or what but I think its all in the mind. I strongly believe that our mental attitude is the most important part in staying/being physically fit. What our mind can conceive our body can achieve. This journey has thought me self discipline, determination, perseverance, patience and even consistency.

Thank you.....that is awesome and helpful....it is true it shouldn't be a secret...but it seems like a great word...makes us feel like we are finding something out no one else knows....

You're welcome Amy. :-)
  • Anill42
    Anill42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I used to work at Tim Hortons :) That is where my addiction to caffeine started!! Lol.

A lot of you mention these green smoothies. Is Bolthouse Farms premade Green Goodness smoothie fall under that description?
    I have a Starbucks addiction that doesnt help my goal. :(