night time munchies anyone ??

sarahcowley1
sarahcowley1 Posts: 85
i get the munchies so bad on the night , that was when i used to snack the most !! i find now i am just drinking gallons of water , anything else that i can do to stop these?? iv been reading about hunger surpressing tablets but i really dont want to go down that route !!

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Why don't you just save some calories so that you can eat at night?
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Are you eating enough throughout the day? that might be one thing to start paying attention to. Also, do you work out at night as opposed to in the morning? if this is the case, taht might be why your body needs to be fueled at night more so than in the morning
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    I don't have any answers, but I sure can relate. I try and save calories, but that's not a complete solution. Avoiding boredom can help, being around others can help, carrots and popcorn have helped, sometimes. Good luck and I look forward to whatever ideas are out there.
  • iv heard its bad for you to eat after a certain time at night as it all goes to your hips tummy ect :s
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    iv heard its bad for you to eat after a certain time at night as it all goes to your hips tummy ect :s

nope, not true
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    I have this problem as well....try brushing your teeth...every thing tastes bad after you brush your teeth. Also you can whiten your teeth with those strips (can't eat while they are in your mouth). I also chew gum.
  • gum sounds like a good idea :)
  • meeko_meerkat
    meeko_meerkat Posts: 90 Member
    You can try snack foods with a really low calorie count when you really get the munchies. I like to eat a big bowl of diet jelly :) There's essentially no calories in that!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    iv heard its bad for you to eat after a certain time at night as it all goes to your hips tummy ect :s
    Big fat myth.
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    I chew gum.

After dinner is done I pop a few pieces in my mouth and I chew until it's time for bed (which is a few hours) Surprisingly I don't have a problem with munchies as long as I have gum. :)
  • That sounds like some good advice. You are so right, nothing tastes good immediately after brushing your teeth.
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    I add a snack at night to my diary
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    You can try snack foods with a really low calorie count when you really get the munchies. I like to eat a big bowl of diet jelly :) There's essentially no calories in that!

Like regular jelly...like peanut butter and jelly, jelly?
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    I just make sure I have plenty of calories left to have my evening munch.
  • Jello! Sugar free jello has no carbs which is what they claim is the worst to eat at night, and it taste yummy!
  • Shawn_Marie
    Shawn_Marie Posts: 307 Member

The time of day or night that you eat does not correlate with gaining or losing weight. Calories in -vs- calories out is what matters. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound.
  • I have this problem as well....try brushing your teeth...every thing tastes bad after you brush your teeth. Also you can whiten your teeth with those strips (can't eat while they are in your mouth). I also chew gum.

these are great suggestions!!
  • i find that if i start eating anything on a night time then that leads me to needing something else and so on so id rather be hungry and drink water i really need to loose my weight this time im so deadicated i dont want to end up like my dad who is dead now because of complete heart failier god rest his sole , i want to be able to run around with my kids and see them grow old and happy !!!
  • Shawn_Marie
    Shawn_Marie Posts: 307 Member

Really??? Diet jelly????
  • Jenners4
    Jenners4 Posts: 49 Member
    yup that's me too ... I have switched to drinking a cup of decaf tea
  • iv heard its bad for you to eat after a certain time at night as it all goes to your hips tummy ect :s
    Big fat myth.

I'm glad to hear that!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    My favorites are eating dark chocolate. I get the really dark kind like over 70% and it is so intense that it is self limiting. I break up about half an ounce and am lucky to finish that. Also I like to sip on a hot drink. Tea sometimes doesn't work but if I make a hot chocolate with hersheys cocoa powder and non fat milk or soy milk that is really satisfying to me as is my large decaf latte - fewer calories and I use stevia for both.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    For me the later it gets the more I want to munch. IF, i have aeten all my calories or nearly there, I simply go to my room which for me is upstairs and don't allow myself to come back down. May sound funny--but whatever works. The sugar-free jello sounds good. I will make me a big bowl of that.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I always save a few calories at night for my bedtime snack. I have always had a bed-time snack and it's part of my bedtime routine. After my snack I brush my teeth. That always seems to work to tell my tummy that we're going to bed.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    make a cup of tea,it takes up some time and drinking it takes time too. Maybe go for a walk to distract yourself.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    make a cup of tea,it takes up some time and drinking it takes time too. Maybe go for a walk to distract yourself.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Fat free jello and cool whip - think it's like 10 calories! I have to eat something before I go to bed! Habit, I guess, but at least it's not 1/2 loaf of bread and butter!
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Yes I struggle with that too. I have tried a serving of peanuts but worry about the fat and sodium. I bought myself raw almonds today and will see if that helps. I have tried celery, carrots, or getting on the treadmill. I am still working on chaning that habit. At least I am not doing ice cream like I used to. Haven't had any.
    When I dieted before I did the brushing teeth and whitening thing and it really helped. I had to put my trays in (from the DDS) for an hour so I might have dinner around 6, cleanup and done around 7., Then I'd busy myself until 8:30 or so and then put in the whitening stuff until bedtime.
    I also used to crochet., haven't since I had my wrist surgery though.., once therapy is done I may get back to it.
    Good luck. Great tips on here.
    Kelle
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Why don't you just save some calories so that you can eat at night?

Exactly this. If you know you are going to get the munchies later on, just save yourself a couple of hundred calories in the day, so you can have your snacks later on. That's what i do! :)
  • meeko_meerkat
    meeko_meerkat Posts: 90 Member

Sorry, I forget there's a difference in the product name outside of Australia. By jelly I mean the awesome product that wobbles on your plate! I think you know it as Jell-o.

So just the diet (sugar-free, no calorie, etc) version of that.
This discussion has been closed.