Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    what is better for you?

whole milk
    2%
    1%
    soy milk
    or is there other ones that are better

What ever one you enjoy and fit into your daily calorie and macronutrient goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I drink milk, I drink Smart Balance Heart Right Fat Free milk with added plant sterols.

I'm not a big fan of milk, but when I drink it I drink skim milk because the most experts in nutrition say that the saturated fat in milk is bad for you and should be limited. As little as I drink it probably wouldn't really matter for me, but I've always hated the creamy texture of whole milk. Even when I was a kid I hated it. But as I'm aging I do try to get my daily recommendation of calcium so I drink it on days that I'm not getting enough from other sources.

ETA: I drink a cup of soy milk every morning. I like the taste of it.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    what is better for you?

whole milk
    2%
    1%
    soy milk
    or is there other ones that are better

What ever one you enjoy and fit into your daily calorie and macronutrient goals.

^this^ Notice how much Sublog has lost. I'm thinking that may make this the right answer. My answer is chocolate. :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    ... most experts in nutrition say that the saturated fat in milk is bad for you and should be limited.
    Unless you* are a woman looking to become pregnant. Even Walter Willett recommends full fat dairy for fertility.

* Using "you" in a general sense, here.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I drink milk, I drink Smart Balance Heart Right Fat Free milk with added plant sterols.

I'm not a big fan of milk, but when I drink it I drink skim milk because the most experts in nutrition say that the saturated fat in milk is bad for you and should be limited. As little as I drink it probably wouldn't really matter for me, but I've always hated the creamy texture of whole milk. Even when I was a kid I hated it. But as I'm aging I do try to get my daily recommendation of calcium so I drink it on days that I'm not getting enough from other sources.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/2698-facts-health-benefits-skim-milk/
  • bcattoes
    Options
    ... most experts in nutrition say that the saturated fat in milk is bad for you and should be limited.
    Unless you* are a woman looking to become pregnant. Even Walter Willett recommends full fat dairy for fertility.

It's also important for babies and toddlers, I hear. But I'm none of those things (done with all that years ago).
  • questionablemethods
    Options

It's also important for babies and toddlers, I hear. But I'm none of those things (done with all that years ago).
    Yeah.... It's so odd to think that something that appears to be so important for fertility, growth, and development then flips into a killer once we reach a certain age....

Seems as though that ought to give a researcher pause.

To the OP. There are lots of thoughts on the health evils and benefits of all of the types of milk you asked about. For weight loss/maintenance alone, drink what you like and fit it in your calorie goals.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Love this! Thank you for spreading the word :).
  • bcattoes
    Options

So, I should believe this over actual medical sites?? Why, exactly? I see nothing back up anything they are saying.
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of almond milk until two days ago when I joined this site. I don't think you can get it in this country though.....
  • KarenPostmus
    Options
    One thing to carefully consider is the Vit D & Calcium combo in cow's milk, I'm not sure what's exactly out there in other milk products, but if you have kids, I'd think twice (personally) about not having that in the house.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    One thing to carefully consider is the Vit D & Calcium combo in cow's milk, I'm not sure what's exactly out there in other milk products, but if you have kids, I'd think twice (personally) about not having that in the house.

The vitamin D is added. You can get the same results with children's chewable vitamin.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

So, I should believe this over actual medical sites?? Why, exactly? I see nothing back up anything they are saying.
    Most of that article is common knowledge and I have no arguement with it. It's all there on what you call medical sites .........if you don't know anything about a particular point that was made, then find out and be specific about what you don't understand, don't know or have a conflicing view about instead of your broad arguement that if something isn't back up by studies, it isn't true......finding out makes subsequent questions more interesting as well.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Store bought cows milk can be bad because of how the cows are kept, the hormones they are pumped full of to produce more milk and what they eat. If you want the good stuff, it's gotta be raw. I wish I had a farm and a milking cow just to get fresh milk everyday...*sigh* I have some friends, family of 6 kids and they were raised drinking raw cow's milk and are some of the healthiest, and fittest/smallest people I know.

Otherwise, I do enjoy the taste o soy milk and almond milk every now and then. :D
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Silk Pure Almond almondmilk has 45% DV of calcium; 1% dairy milk has 30% DV.

Dairy data drawn from USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 23 (2010).
    Data consistent for typical 1% dairy milk.

True it's fortified, but that's no different then crushing up a roll of antacids into regular milk for a calcium boost. After all, that's all Silk does, add calcium carbonate to it, aka, antacids.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Store bought cows milk can be bad because of how the cows are kept, the hormones they are pumped full of to produce more milk and what they eat. If you want the good stuff, it's gotta be raw. I wish I had a farm and a milking cow just to get fresh milk everyday...*sigh* I have some friends, family of 6 kids and they were raised drinking raw cow's milk and are some of the healthiest, and fittest/smallest people I know.

Otherwise, I do enjoy the taste o soy milk and almond milk every now and then. :D
    Raw milk is legal to sell in stores here in California and, out of curiosity, I bought some. It sure was tasty (but then I love butterfat). Unfortunately, it still made me feel bloated and a bit crampy, although I have heard that other people digest it quite well. I've also heard that some do a lot better on goat milk, which is also available raw in stores here. But I'll probably just stick with my coconut milk or heavy cream, neither of which give me the same problems.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Whole cows milk is heavenly, but I drink Simply Smart skim. The skim supposedly tastes like 2%. I have started using Sweetened almond milk in my smoothies.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Most of that article is common knowledge and I have no arguement with it. It's all there on what you call medical sites .........if you don't know anything about a particular point that was made, then find out and be specific about what you don't understand, don't know or have a conflicing view about instead of your broad arguement that if something isn't back up by studies, it isn't true......finding out makes subsequent questions more interesting as well.

Thank you for pointing out to the poster of this comment, this stuff about skim milk is pretty much common knowledge amongst those who actually study nutrition not just for the knowledge but also because they are passionate about what they do. This is just one of many pages I could link to cite this information on skim milk. There are many misconceptions that people get sold into believing and I don't like to argue the facts. Because frankly facts are facts. Saturated fat is not inherently bad for you, you become overweight from excess calorie consumption and thus often times unhealthy, combined with a high stress life style = no bueno. You only become over weight from eating excess calories, not excess fat in your foods... the low fat diet debate is coming to an end of an era, fat isn't bad, trans fats yes, but natural sources of fat in whole foods, NO.

That said I wish I could get raw whole milk again too. I really miss making my own cheese/yogurt.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Reading that everyone like almond I feel funny saying I drink skim. maybe because it's cheaper and I'm a broke college student. Look at the calories, protein and calcium to see which is the healthiest