Greetings from Germany!

Options
Hello everyone!

I am new to to MFP(joined today) after a long time friend recommended the site to me. I am an Air Force wife, a nurse and mom to three kids, age 17, 11 & 8. I'm at my heaviest weight ever...even right before I gave birth to any of my kids. It is so stressful and I am ready to do something about it. We moved to Ramstein, Germany a year ago and with all the good brats, breads and beer I have quickly tacked on another 12 lbs. I have struggled with charting my foods, but have done it before and know it is possible.....I just seem to fall of the wagon easily. I have always had a more curvy build but was muscular. In 2005, I thought I was "big" and hired a personal trainer.....I quickly lost 35-40lbs and made it to my goal weight of 135lb. Now I look back at my heaviest then and think......I would give anything to look like that now. Don't you just hate that?? I have always enjoyed working out and go through spurts of months where I try something....stick with it and then stop all together.

Sooooooo, I decided no more excuses. I currently am letting my foot rest after injuring it.....have no idea how. Think it is just from rolling it and the extra weight.=) Giving myself another week of rest and getting back in the swing of things. Hoping to gain some motivation from this website that I lack so much. Would love to even find some local people and start a work out group. I seem to do better when someone's working out with me and I'm being held "accountable".

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    TL DR

Are you drinking a beer in your car?

From a glass?

EDIT: With a kid in the back?
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oof, I know what you mean. Looking back on times when I felt really bad about my body (high school, when I weighed about 40 pounds less), I wish I'd known I actually looked pretty good and shouldn't have had an "Oh well, already fat, eat more ice cream" attitude about it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    TL DR

From a glass?

And posting! THE HUMANITY!!!!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    And since in Germany she would be the one driving.

Let me start by saying that is a straight FB pic..lol
  • cariliz
    Options
    TL DR

From a glass?

There is no open container law in Germany, btw. I was the passenger. =)
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh I miss Germany so much!!!!!!! We were also stationed at Ramstein for 4 years. We've been stateside for two years now. I worked at LRMC while I was over there as an x-ray tech. I over indulged in the beer (kristal weissen was my favorite), and brats, and fresh breads.... my mouth is watering. Enjoy your time in Germany!!! But of course workout, but don't miss Oktober fest or bad durkheim!!!!!
  • Bigwrick
    Options
    Just starting on here myself. Add me if you wish.
  • cariliz
    Options

Know your information before you post. No I was NOT driving....we drive on the same side as the US. Only the UK drives on the other. =)
  • YukonJoy
    Options
    TL DR

From a glass?

I'm moving there. I will be at your house shortly.

I'm assuming I can stay with you?

Okay thanks! See you soon!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

I think most pics on here are FB type pics

<~~~ mine isnt a fitness shot xD
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    TL DR

From a glass?

I'm moving there. I will be at your house shortly.

I'm assuming I can stay with you?

Okay thanks! See you soon!!

x2
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Know your information before you post. No I was NOT driving....we drive on the same side as the US. Only the UK drives on the other. =)

My bad..still a pic worthy of mocking, taking the kid out for a night on the town..woot.
  • YukonJoy
    Options

My bad..still a pic worthy of mocking, taking the kid out for a night on the town..woot.

Actually Sean, I hate to contradict you (No I don't actually he he) but not all countries have the "taboos" associated with drinking that the US has. In fact, I would like to see the stats from drunk driving accidents between the US and Germany. In fact, I'm going to go look that up now.

Then I am going to rub your smug nose in it. :drinker:
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am not in your area, but I looooove germany and braties and the bier and rot-weis-pommes, currywurst, lebekaese, nuremberger bratwurst, bretzel...oh my goodness. I put on loads of weight on my year abroad so I completely sympathise with you.

If you can get into exercise and stick to a routine (which I am guessing you can from your post) then 30 day shred is good, or Davina Power of 3. Has Zumba made it over to Germany?

You can do this! Fight, fight, fight x
  • YukonJoy
    Options
    Here you go Sean. You notice that the USA, where open alcohol in vehicles is illegal, is WAY above Germany on the list (And Canada)

Road Deaths Around the World:
    Country Deaths/100k
    Vehicles (1998)

S. Korea 80.33
    Turkey 76.75
    Poland 55.71
    Portugal 35.02
    France 30.24
    Denmark 21.44
    USA 19.97
    Iceland 16.87
    Italy 16.71
    Canada 16.65
    Germany 15.71
    UK 12.73
    Sweden 11.81

Source: German Federal Highway Research Institute
    http://www.dui.com/dui-library/fatalities-accidents/statistics/road-deaths-worldwide

If you want me to spend more time I could find more recent stats. But they are just going to say the same thing.
  • cariliz
    Options
    Sean, I'm all for a joke. No worries. Was just trying to say that different culturals and social norms will sometimes surprise you. =)

YukonJoy, you hit that right on. I'm sure you will find that the drunk driving stats and significantly lower here. Most of the times when you do hear of incidences.....it is the Americans. Similarly, the same goes for the autobahn w/ no speed limit restrictions in area......because it doesn't get abused like laws and rules in the US. Craziness.

Fitfaery,you are making me hungry with all that!!! I don't know what 30 day shred is.....guess I will have to do some research. Sounds promising.....I like quick results. =) Yes, Zumba has made it over here!!! I was going 2-3 times a week until my injury.....I will soon be making it back to class.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a Canadian Army Brat - lived in Lahr Germany 1974 - 78. Wonderful place - wonderful memories!

Add me if you want a motivating friend!
  • piadora
    piadora Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A welcome from me in the chilly UK. Chime with your remberence of being 135lbs and feeling big! (assuming i read the post correctly) Join weightwatchers at 8st 12 feeling really fat (some time ago!) I too have no aversion to excersise, love the gym but am still need to shift another 2 stone!

Happy to share the journey with you.:-)
  • gobamagrl
    gobamagrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My pic is a FB pic... :ohwell: is that bad? Maybe I should ignite a MFP photoshoot......:glasses:
  • skinnymochalatte
    Options
    Yes, Zumba did make it to Germany. lol I saw a flyer in my town for a Zumba class.