It's hard not to compare....

Options
the amount of calories I eat compared to how many points I would have eaten if I were on WW. I know I shouldn't, but I compared what I ate yesterday in points vs. calories and it seems like I'm eating so much more than I was before while I was on WW. I feel like I may be eating too much and weight will not come off. Has anyone else felt like this before of have done this silly comparison if you have done WW in the past?

Edit: Also, WW DID work for me, that's why it's hard not to compare.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If WW didn't work for you, then i think it is silly to compare :]
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i completely agree with sunshine. also, i eat my calories, plus my excercise calories (just like tons on people here) and i continue to lose weight. the mfp system does work, thousands of us are proof.
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WW worked for the first 30 lbs for me...then it didn't. Hoping this will kick start me again after a 10 month plateau. I still sometimes do the point conversion in my head...
  • slenderagain
    Options
    I did this when I was doing WW online (points plus) and had discovered this site. I was used to thinking in calories, not points, so I felt the need to check how many calories I was actually eating just to see. I did find that I was eating less on WW...unless I wanted more fruit! Actually I think I kind of cheated with the whole zero point fruit thing. Some days I would eat like three bananas just because I felt like eating. I think WW is going to have to fix that soon or people might stop losing weight, or lose really really slowly.
  • gobamagrl
    gobamagrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are talking about.....I lost the bulk of my weight (75lbs) from weight watchers. Since I've been on MFP, I have caught myself going to my WW points calculator to see exactly how many "points" I'm consuming in a day! One thing I've "tried" to do, is stick with natural foods, like fresh fruits and veggies...whole grains...I've tried to monitor my sugar and limit processed foods. I can honestly say that when I was on WW, I ate SO much processed garbage! I DID lose the weight, but the foods I consumed were in no means considered healthy. If you look at it from that prospective, it does change things. Also make sure you are exercising enough each week...and drink your water! :)
  • khern10
    Options
    I found the same thing that the calories I was eating in points was way less than I can eat on this. I've been trying to keep my processed foods, meats, and dairy to around 1100 calories and use the remaining calories for fresh fruits and veggies. This keeps it kind of similar to weight watchers.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The reason why you had initial success on weight watchers was because you weren't eating much. The reason it came back is because that kind of lifestyle is difficult to maintain and your body becomes adjusted to lower calories and holds onto the weight to help you function throughout the day.

I know it's a big adjustment as I was huge into weight watchers once too. Ultimately however, nothing comes close to making your own food choices outside of a mass marketing diet plan.

Since I can't see your diary, I don't have much idea of what your current eating habits are like, but this is my advice. Learn to listen to your body, drink as much water as you can, and eat when you are hungry. Good, protein dense filling food. If you are STILL not losing weight after one to two weeks, try lessening your calories by about 200 and incorporating some exercise.

(If the weight came back, I find it hard to believe it worked for you. Anything you can't commit to for life, doesn't work.)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I AM eating more than I ever did on WW, but I'm still losing.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    WW worked for the first 30 lbs for me...then it didn't. Hoping this will kick start me again after a 10 month plateau. I still sometimes do the point conversion in my head...
    those things on that foil...kinda look like turds at first glance.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I first started this program I was contemplating going back to WW because it had worked for me 10 years ago - the problem was I had never done the new points plus program, and paying $12 a week for meetings because I really need the community.

A few days I figured out the OLD points against what I had eaten and they were so very close to equal that I just let it go - and I'm so glad I did too -- it is way easier to see calories and add those for what you need to eat during the day - trying to figure out points requires a calculator - which means I won't do it for the rest of my life.

I could, of course, just buy foods with WW points listed right on the label - but then I'd be consuming mostly processed foods. I am certainly not fully out of the processed food realm, but I'm trying to work toward that end.

Good luck here. It really is worth your effort.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I AM eating more than I ever did on WW, but I'm still losing.

Funny how that works for many people.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I did this when I was doing WW online (points plus) and had discovered this site. I was used to thinking in calories, not points, so I felt the need to check how many calories I was actually eating just to see. I did find that I was eating less on WW...unless I wanted more fruit! Actually I think I kind of cheated with the whole zero point fruit thing. Some days I would eat like three bananas just because I felt like eating. I think WW is going to have to fix that soon or people might stop losing weight, or lose really really slowly.

Yes! This is what I worry about for my friends on weight watchers. Apparently (from what a friend told me), it takes going into the double digits before the bananas start counting as points...