MM Challenge - WaistWhittlers (CLOSED)

Options
Hey everyone! :smile:

Hope we're all ready and prepared to take on the MotivationMatters challenge!

Tried getting a discussion in with everyone, but unfortunately didn't hear from a couple of you, so the decision was made to call ourselves "WaistWhittlers" and I have taken on the role of captain. Now to meet the rest of the team...

belindawilli
chipmunk70
ellianaeva
rrubio10
sandyslosenit

Since the challenge begins soon I thought we should really get to know eachother!

I'll start off :smile: My name is Deb, I'm 26 from Adelaide Australia. I started on MFP mid-July this year and so far I have lost approx 7kg (15.4lb), looking to lose another 15kg (33lb). I've been overweight pretty much my whole life, with numerous attempts at losing weight, and with success - however it didn't last and the weight went back on. This time I'm determined to keep it off!

Each week I will post a message on here (and send you a PM to make sure you know where to find it). Lets keep in touch guys. Lets make this happen!

Replies

• Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get started !!! This challenge has really motivated me to get back on the wagon. I'm 40 yrs old , newly married. Before I met my husband I went throught a rough time in my life. Between 2001 and 2005 five I lost several loved ones. Both grandfathers, my mom, my little terrior Bear, and two misscarrages. During that time I gained 80 lbs. Then the next thing I know my sister Brenda is dying. I decided that I couldn't continue to gain any weight while she was sick. So for the 6 months she was in the hospital I lost 92 lbs. Then after her death in 2005 I met my future husband Scot. Together over the next 6 yrs we gained weight for me 110 lbs. Now I have to get that off. So 68 days ago I jioned MFP and lost 29 lbs. then in the last 10 days I've gained back 13lbs !!! This challenge came at just the right time to get me " Motivated " !!!
    !!!!!! GO TEAM !!!! Lol.
  • belindawilli
    belindawilli Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Belinda. Will be 57 this coming January. I have been married almost 39 years, have 3 grown children and 11 healthy grandchildren(7 boys, 4 girls). I have always struggled with my weight was always told as a child growing up I was too big. Now when I look back of pictures of me I was never really that big, but being told your entire childhood leaves a lasting impression. When I married at 18 I weighed 150 lbs. was 5ft. 6 1/2 inches tall. Have always been a very active person, played sports in school and played on independent teams between having my 3 children up until I was in late 30's. My first child was a little girl and I got up to 183 lbs, swore I would never get that big again. So with my next 2 pregnacy I only gained 15 with son and 16 with second daughter and dieted off an on the whole time I was pregnant with these two!!!! I just never was happy with myselfJ(the way I looked). It was never Belinda are you healthy, but how do you look in that bikini or those jeans. Before My 50th birthday had gained up to 163, boy did I think I was fat. Now keep in mind I knew how to diet, had did weight watchers off and on all these years, but off to the diet Dr. I went and yes I was over weight(some)and really just couldn't seem to lose anymore(metabalism---getting older). So by my birthday I was down to 140 lbs. Did I think I looked good, well yes. Did I though, no looking back at some of those pictures for my age and build I had lost too much weight but to me I looked great. Kept most of it off untill by baby brother passed away at the age of 43. This no doubt was a very difficult time for me and my whole family. Had gained 10 lbs or more within a month after he left us. We were told he died of severe obesity and this was true to a point , but when autopsy was done, he had holes in the valves of his heart. But the word obesity I could not get out of my mind. My little brother worked hard all of his life, it was never what he looked like he just wanted to be heallthy and here I was just concerned with how I looked in that bikini. So it was kinda like God gave me this wakeup call(Belinda are you listnening) it's not what you look like that you should focus on, but are you healthy to do the things that I have put you on this earth to do. So for me being on MFP is a chance to let others out there know, Yes looking good is wonderful, but most importantly are you healthy, can you get up each morning and walk, run, play with those kids, grandkids(we all know people because of medical reasons who can't do these simple things) so for those of us who can lets get out there and show the world yes we look amazingly good, but most important we are healthy and strong. So I say WaistWhittlers lets kick some booty and have fun while we do it!!!
  • EllianaEva
    Options
    Hi all,
    Im Elliana Eva. I have always thought I was overweight my whole life, but looking back on pics, I wasnt. I just wasnt one of the really thin girls. I was active in sports, dance and weightlifting, but always thought I was fat. I have gained and lost weight. I was pretty healthy until after the birth of my 2 boys. Then I was a stay at home mom, which I love, but I forgot to take care of me. While people would be out doing stuff, I was at home with the kids, so I would eat. I went from about 150 to 280 in less then a year. This has not helped a knee injury I had from previous years of sports :(
    I started here on MFP about a week ago. One of the first things I saw was this challenge. I am excited and scared all at the same time!! I want to do well for me, my family and this team. I am somewhat limited because of my knee and a back injury from a car accident, but I will do my best not to let you all down. Thank you for letting me be a part of this!! I am looking forward to getting to know you all better, and "losing" together while we kick butt as a team!! :)
    God bless!
  • belindawilli
    Options
    Good morning or should say Spookalish day to all my Waistwhittlers. Hope you all have a spookish good day. We are having parties here at school!!! Will have to be extra careful with those snacks(love lthis time of year. We all get to dress up and the kids just love it. HOpefully will get a picture of me(I'm a beautiful Witch) and post it for you guys. To all of my wonderful Waistwhittlers lets stay focused today and not whittle away to much candy for ourselves!!! Hugs to you all!!!:happy:
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Good morning or should say Spookalish day to all my Waistwhittlers. Hope you all have a spookish good day. We are having parties here at school!!! Will have to be extra careful with those snacks(love lthis time of year. We all get to dress up and the kids just love it. HOpefully will get a picture of me(I'm a beautiful Witch) and post it for you guys. To all of my wonderful Waistwhittlers lets stay focused today and not whittle away to much candy for ourselves!!! Hugs to you all!!!:happy:

I guess one good thing about living in Australia during Halloween when you're trying to lose weight.... we don't celebrate it that much. Lol. People have parties but it's more just an excuse to get drunk I think :wink:
  • EllianaEva
    Options
    ok so I have walked 4 1/2 miles! woohoo me!! :) more then I was planning but still good - my knee is hurting so hopefully this will help it get stronger rather then hurt it.
    Anyways- I have also drank 100 oz of water- and not done yet =D
    Great day!! let go team!!!!!
  • Deb2012
    Options
    Doing really well guys :happy: let's keep it up!

Now, I feel like I'm going to be letting our team down in the water area... how do you guys get over 100oz a day?! Any suggestions & tips would be great :smile:
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    Deb ,
    I have a big 32oz. cup that I fill first thing in the morning. As I'm getting my breakfast ready I drink half of it. Then mid morning I have a snack and drink the other half. Then refill at lunch , I drink half while getting my lunch ready and the other half while eating it. That's half my water down already ( I like to drink 128oz. a day). In the afternoon I have a snack with half the cup of water then finish the rest while I'm getting my dinner ready. Then half with dinner and the other half with my nightly snack. So really I'm drinking all day. I keep the cup with me at all times. If I've finish my water for any part of the day before the snack or meal arrives , then I allow myself a diet pop with that meal. So let's say it's lunch but I already drank more than 64oz. at that time, then with my lunch I'll have a caffine free diet - coke or Mt.Dew. If I go out to eat I drink a big glass of water before I even look at the menu , then another glass while looking at the menu , then a glass with the meal. So that's about 48oz right there , it helps cut your cravings also !! Good luck with the water !!! Blessings ; )
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    Deb.
    I just thought of something as I was drinking my water. A straw helps big time !!! Not sure why and It could be just me, but when I just drink from the glass it takes forever and I struggle to get it all in. But if I drink from a straw I suck it down in no time. Just something you might like to try.
  • EllianaEva
    Options
    The straw thing helps me too :smile: oh and also a friend of mine that has a hard time with water, she puts an 8oz glass in the bathroom- then every time after she takes care of business she chugs the 8 oz. also she puts a glass by the fridge, then every time she gets in the fridge she chugs another glass. Its worked well for her :bigsmile:

ok so Tuesday totals: 102oz of water today and 3 miles walked.

Hope everyone is doing well :flowerforyou:
  • Deb2012
    Options
    Thanks guys... I'm going to have to try the straw idea. It would work, I drink my coffee through a straw (yes I know, weird :tongue:) and that goes super quick!!

Although definitely doing better today with the water, but still no where close to where I need to be! I may actually hit 100oz today lol.

Everyone did so well on day one :happy: We're off to a great start. Big WELL DONE to Belinda on her 12.75 miles!!
  • belindawilli
    Options
    Walked 8.93 miles/ have drank 151 ozs of water. Hope you all are doing good. Just wanted you guys to know, I put my pedometer on as soon as I get dressed for work. You would be surprised at the miles you log in a day!!! I have 3 recess duties(15 minutes each) then Cafeteria duty for an hour so I just continue to walk. If I get a break(usually at 10:00) I walk the length of our school(3 times around it is a mile). I do most of this on a daily basis. Then when I get home(if nice outside) I walk my fast walk or jog. Today I did 60 minutes inside school after bell rang. So if I can help with our walking goal, will do... Lets kick some bootie and stay focused. We've got this!!!!! Hugs to all my WaistWhittlers!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Deb2012
    Options
    I need to invest in a pedometer that tells me how far I've gone... I've only been logging my run/walk of a night.
  • EllianaEva
    Options
    my wednesday totals = 110oz of water and 3 miles =D
  • rrubio10
    rrubio10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm so sorry I just noticed the message board. I guess I'm the 'slacker' on the team as far as getting in touch is concerned.
    Just like some of you I have been Fabulous And Thick most of my life also. I want to be healthy.
    I have been married 17 years and have 4 children. Don't let the number of children fool you though I am always surrounded by more than that. I also am a teacher and am the main caregiver for my 84 year old mother who has CHF and fibrosis. I joined MFP in late July and have lost almost 17 lbs so far. I was becoming very unmotivated when this challenge started but thankfully have since started getting excited again. The water doesn't bother me (I just think of it as having to chug medicine) but I'm started to get shin splints from the walking. I hope to check in with you guys more often in the future.
  • Deb2012
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Rrubio, I got your Monday & Tuesday totals but could I please have your Wednesday and Thursday :smile:
    Still waiting on a few others for Thursday too....

BUT, as at Wednesday (excluding Rrubio's numbers) we have drunk 1,900oz of water and walked 75miles. Almost there!!

I'm a terrible captain though :tongue: I am definitely letting our team down with the water, 100oz is a lot! Also my weigh in is pretty much gonna suck this week - eating what I think is a good amount of calories (maybe I'm wrong?) and burning off a fair chunk of them too... but being female, well we all know that feeling! Hopefully next weigh in I can do better.
  • belindawilli
    Options
    Hope you all have had a Terriffic Thursday. Didn't get in as many miles(didn't go outside for recesses) 7.7:frown: but did get that water down 144 ozs:bigsmile: Fabulous Friday is just around the corner and we are doing An Amazing Awesome job according to Deb's totals!!! Stay strong and we are definetly going to kick some bootie my Waist Whittlers!!!:happy:
  • EllianaEva
    Options
    Hi girls My Thursday totals are water 100oz and walking 2 miles.
    I was playing racquetball and did something to my back :cry: It is painful to just sit here and type this. I really hope I wont need to back off of this team!! I have so far really liked the motivation and accountability, but if its not doing better tomorrow, Im afraid I will have to :sad: I dont want to hold you all back and you have to cover for me while I recover. So I would love all your prayers!!
    I will get back with you tomorrow
  • Deb2012
    Options
    Hope you're okay! Wishing you the best, we don't want you to back off either :cry:

Upside girls.... We're only 7.83 miles off our goal!
  • Deb2012
    Options
    *deleted double post*