Anyone Else Battling Depression?

Options
I've been battling depression for a while now and I've noticed that since I've started my weight loss journey it's really affected my emotions to the point of pretty dramatic mood swings/more commonly depressed. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue? Support from others going through the same problems would be great, especially since you know how it feels.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Do you get out in the sun much? Vitamin D3 has helped me regulate. Good luck!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options

No, I live in Alaska... haha
  • Chellski
    Chellski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I suffer from bipolar disorder. on anti depressants but since i had bub also got post natal depression. used to have issues with eating disorders so this weight loss journey is starting to get a bit tough on me lately! if u want a friend to chat to, feel free to add me. also dont let people make you feel bad for talking about this openly!
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    right there with you, I have nothing to offer other than understanding. I'm currently trying to get in touch with a psychologist and try the no meds only therapy approach. <3
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have had really depression and anxiety since year 6, I find exercise really helps a lot.. but there are still the days where it doesn't and I can't shake off how I feel, it's just not that easy :/ (((hugs)))
  • rainbowcandy2004
    Options
    I have battled with depression my whole life. One minute I am on a high because I lost weight and the next I am feeling so down about something in my life that I just want it to be over. I think a lot of ppl with weight problems have depression. My weight management doctor wants me to see a therpist and I have been thinking lately I should but I really can't afford it. My friends on this website has helped a whole lot to keep me motived to keep working at it though.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you ever want to talk, discuss different strategies and therapies, or get my opinion on things I've tried...let me know ;)
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    right there with you, I have nothing to offer other than understanding. I'm currently trying to get in touch with a psychologist and try the no meds only therapy approach. <3

That's what I'm trying, though I can't really afford a therapist right now. I just refuse to take meds.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've been battling depression for a while now and I've noticed that since I've started my weight loss journey it's really affected my emotions to the point of pretty dramatic mood swings/more commonly depressed. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue? Support from others going through the same problems would be great, especially since you know how it feels.

Sorry you're finding things difficult, are you eating and sleeping enough? I find that being quite regimented (especially on sleep) works well for me, otherwise a 'normal' day can be tough without adding exercise in. I'd also make sure you get plenty of Omegas into your diet, or take a supplement too.
  • imatank
    Options
    Part of the reason I have trouble losing weight is that I get very moody when I'm cutting back. I CRAVE the carbs (to help with my serotonin levels I guess). This also gets worse during the winter when I'm not getting very much sunlight. I have to fight myself to exercise because that is the only thing that will get me through!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

It's as if I am solar powered and I dread the change in weather when the sun doesn't come out.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are feeling down. Just a thought but could the mood swings be related to dieting and low blood sugar? Take care x
  • nicoleh82
    Options
    Exercising IS the best thing you can do. It really is. Have tried meds and therapy but neither seems to work... Continuously (daily) exercising seems to be the only effective thing I have found that makes me feel somewhat more level.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you won't/can't go to a therapist and won't take meds, then exercise and plenty of sleep are your best weapons. I also keep a journal.
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I,ve been battling on and off with this since i 12 from self harming and i,m currently seeing a counsellor each week.
    You be surprised how many people are also going through pretty much the same as you so your not alone in this :0)
    I posted a blog recently about this and was surprised the amount of people who also suffer with this x
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try writing in a journal. That has always helped me. I write down what I'm feeling and get it out onto paper. Then I throw that page away and visualize trashing those emotions as well. My psychologist started me on this 2 years ago and it has helped tremendously. Give it a shot! Just remember, it like when the weight starts coming off you start to peel back those layers of emotion that were burried under the weight. You have to get rid of it just like you do the pounds.

Good luck!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The more you exercise the better you will feel. My doctor told me to take D12 and fish oil, along with a multi vitamin. I take the vitamins when I remember them I am so forget full some times. But after you move around for a while and develop a routine you start to feel generally happy most of the time and eventual all the time you will feel good. It wasn’t too long after I started exercising that I stop taking my medication( I had 2 one was anti anxiety and a anti depressant) and have been good ever since. Just remember not to over do it and some days I really don’t feel like working out so I do it any way and after I feel better for doing it.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    You guys are all awesome.

It's been about 7 years for me and I think I'm just ready to get it all out in the open and get the help I finally need.

Exercise helps sometimes, but sometimes is doesn't. I think I'm just under a lot of stress right now and that's what is magnifying it. I do get plenty of sleep, but I could probably up my exercise.

I also wish I could use the sun, but Alaskan winters are like 99% darkness.. :laugh:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Going totally gluten free helped with my depression a lot. Maybe it's something to look into.
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm the same and really struggling at the mo. if you want to chat I find it helps to talk to people who feel the same way.