Strength Training for stay at home Momma...

Options
Does anyone have any good Ideas for easy and quick Strength Training.
I can't get to a gym and I need something I can do in a quick amount of time because I have 2 little ones to take care of... any suggestions are welcome!
Thank you!

Replies

• tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels - I only have her 30 Day Shred, but hear the others are good work too. If you have streaming Netflix, you can find lots of work outs there too.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels - I only have her 30 Day Shred, but hear the others are good work too. If you have streaming Netflix, you can find lots of work outs there too.

That isn't strength training.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Search around the web for bodyweight exercises; body squats, triceps dips, lunges, etc. There's plenty you can do without ever stepping foot in the gym. Add in a really small weight set and you can truly work wonders in the privacy of your own home, not to mention avoiding all the expenses that come along with gym memberships!
  • katyclev
    katyclev Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Jillian Michaels? It sure is. Her work outs consist of strength & cardio :)

I am going to second Jillian Michaels. I am doing her Ripped in 30 right now. I am also a SAHM and I find it easy to squeeze in her 30 minute DVD
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you can, get a workout bench and some weights. You can do a lot with just a little, and a little goes a long way. Get 3, 5, 8, 10 lbs to begin with. You can do it.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options

Actually, two of the three parts are. :smile:

I haven't done any of them, but I know there are 10 minute strength videos out there.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    oxygen magazine frequently has ideas for exercises you can do at home. personally, i do horrible exercising at home. as soon as i get down on the floor i think, "man, it is dirty under there...." and then get distracted!:tongue:
  • kya101
    kya101 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have my weights in the living room so I can bust them out and do flys, curls and presses while watching tv or taking a break. I also do push ups and dips too. I try and do at least 3 sets of 12 reps of each... sometimes more if I have the energy!!!
  • saraknotts
    saraknotts Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did this tonight, and although it doesn't look that hard I feel like jello now. That's either a testament to the workout or how out of shape I am :)http://www.acefitness.org/workouts/13/
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Deadlift the oven and sweep under it.

EDIT: Non trolling reply: Look up a pre-written bodyweight training program, you should be able to find a few examples. Good place to start.
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some workouts from Netflix (if you have it) - I just did 10 minute Target toning today and thought it was good for toning. Netflix has alot of 50 minute workouts that are broke down into 10 minute segments. I like to mix up my workouts and keep it new. Being a stay at home mom, I completely understand the need for quick! Another good suggestion is any walk away the pounds dvds especially the ones that add weights because you get your cardio and toning in one workout which I like. Same thing with those dvds, you can do as little or much as you want. You only have time for 1 mile you can do just that.
    If you are more advanced, the Jillian Michaels workouts will kick your butt into shape and you will loose inches and pounds but it is not easy. It is 24 minutes that will help melt off the inches if you are adding a healthy diet with it.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is a very good place to start. They are short and easy to fit into your day. They have cardio and strengthening in them. Push ups, squats, curls. They work most parts of your body. Legs, abs, arms, shoulders, back and chest. You do need some dumbbells.
  • kchabby76
    Options
    You can use your own body for strength/resistance training. Working the biggest muscles in the body will result in progress being seeing faster. Squats, crunches, push ups, calf raises. You can do these exercises using JUST your body weight and be find and see progress for up to 3 months, after that you'll need to add more weight to see more muscle growth if you want more muscle tone which will burn more calories. And as others said just simple weights will do this for you. I like the dial a weight. It's compact and gets heavier and heavier. You could also start doing push ups with a kid on your back, (its what I do, my sons love it), you can do squats with a kid on your back or holding one in your arms, my boys love it. Calf raises also with kids,and crunches need never any more weight, different styles of crunches to reach diff parts of the abdomen; obliques, upper and lower torso.

Good luck!
  • tamheath
    Options

That's funny. The first time I did it, I could hardly lift my arms the next day. Because of the weights you use???? So yeah, it was some pretty good strength training. And the nice part, original poster, is you can (and should) start out with very light weights. Good stuff.
  • tamheath
    Options
    I have been doing some workouts from Netflix (if you have it) - I just did 10 minute Target toning today and thought it was good for toning. Netflix has alot of 50 minute workouts that are broke down into 10 minute segments. I like to mix up my workouts and keep it new. Being a stay at home mom, I completely understand the need for quick! Another good suggestion is any walk away the pounds dvds especially the ones that add weights because you get your cardio and toning in one workout which I like. Same thing with those dvds, you can do as little or much as you want. You only have time for 1 mile you can do just that.
    If you are more advanced, the Jillian Michaels workouts will kick your butt into shape and you will loose inches and pounds but it is not easy. It is 24 minutes that will help melt off the inches if you are adding a healthy diet with it.

Also on Netflix is a 10 minute Pilates workout that I like. It's 60 minutes, but broken up into segments of 10. Good core, strengthening stuff. Hope you find something you like!
  • kchabby76
    Options
    funny