What's the lowest BMI you'd go to?

Options
13»

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    19 is lowest I'd go. I have large hips and I would probably look awkward even there.
    In the photo on my page wearing the red sweatshirt, my BMI was 21.3, I'm aiming for about 20.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Mine is 20.4 right now, the lowest it ever was 14.4. I'd never go lower than 20 again.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    BMI for individuals is bunk.

BMI does not affect fertility, bodyfat does.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't look at BMI, it's difficult to go off on, it's unreliable. Get your body fat percentage checked.
  • LilacLizabeth
    LilacLizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whatever 135lb. at 5'4'' is.

EXACTLY WHAT SHE SAID.

and I mean 135 butt naked on the scale at 6:00 a.m.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I just calculated and it looks like my goal weight puts me at a BMI of between 19.3-19.8, which I think is good for me based on my past weight.

If worse comes to worse and I still have little lovehandles I wouldn't mind toning up and losing another pound or two in the process, but I don't think that will be necessary and I wouldn't actively try to get any lower than my goal weight.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have been listening to "fat to fit" radio podcast. They say BMI is a guide. Get to a healthy BMI then focus on lowering your % body fat with strength training. Don't worry about the numbers on the scale, You should only be concerned with % BF, that will eliminate double chins, love handles etc.

Teresa

For me the double chins disappear as I near a BMI of 20. My scales reckon my BF is in the low 20s, though I've seen a 19 when I did 30 DS.

For me BMI is just an alternative to saying 'what's the lowest weight you'd go to'. Although I know it's not perfect, it does make it easier to compare like with like.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

no I have to disagree when my BMI was 11.8 I didnt have periods (or have I ever since) so it does affect fertility And yes they are not a 100% accurate..they are a guide for most people. If you have a large amount of muscle mass you have other ways to judge whether you are at a healthy weight or not. Personally right now if I could get up to 17 I think that would be a miricle. Even though that is still considered a low Bmi that would be good for me. And sometimes you cant go by the scale or BMI or whatever..go by how you feel, what you like(unless it is unhealthy). Just because some one says you SHOULD weight something doesnt mean it fits everybody. As long as you are eating healthy and exercising what is 10 or 15 lbs. (now just apply that to myself) lol
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to go below 20 for health reasons. The lowest I have been was 19 and that isn't healthy for me.
  • fteale
    Options

True enough. Which is why it irritates the **** out of me when women go on about wanting 6-packs because to get them, your BF% has to be well below what is reproductively healthy.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    when I first got married my BMI was 13 and I looked horrible and I still got pregnant. Now my BMI is 23 and would like it to be 18.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Well, if I drop any weight it's going to be muscle because of low body fat, so I'll have to survive on the higher than average BMI.....I quess I'm doomed.
  • fteale
    Options
    17.7 or 19.2 my goal is to hit 120 pounds but I am more worried about body fat then BMI my goal for body fat % is 8 to 13.:smile:

As a woman, that BF% is incredibly dangerous.
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    my bmi should be around 22.5-24 otherwise i 1-look ill and 2-cant keep the weight off without literally not eating. I have a large build and bmi doesnt take it into account at all so its a bit crap!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    mine is currently 18.7
    Physically I'm NOT happy with my body, I want to tone, build muscle . gain weight and lose inches

I wouldn't recommend going below 20

I'm at 18.1 and I really need to gain some weight, namely add muscle. I'm trying though...but it's a lot harder for me to gain than it was to lose.

I wouldn't go below 20 either, or really, whatever is healthy for you.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I currently have a BMI of 20.5 and body fat of 21%.
    My goal is 20 for both. I managed it back in the summer and I felt great!
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Right now I'm at (about) 22.5 -I'm 5'2& 123. Yet, I also have more muscle than I used to. I still want to tone up certain areas though, and to answer the question, get it to 20...but I won't kill myself if I don't. For me it's about inches lost and how tone I look&feel.
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Right now I'm at (about) 22.5 -I'm 5'2& 123. Yet, I also have more muscle than I used to. I still want to tone up certain areas though, and to answer the question, get it to 20...but I won't kill myself if I don't. For me it's about inches lost and how tone I look&feel.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am at 19.9 for BMI with 20% bodyfat. I am trying to maintain although I havent figured out the right amount of calories yet!
  • Samsara9
    Options
    mine is currently 18.7
    Physically I'm NOT happy with my body, I want to tone, build muscle . gain weight and lose inches

I wouldn't recommend going below 20

I'm at 18.1 and I really need to gain some weight, namely add muscle. I'm trying though...but it's a lot harder for me to gain than it was to lose.

I wouldn't go below 20 either, or really, whatever is healthy for you.

I was at 18.9% and thought that I looked bad, now I am over 20% (I don't have actual number, but I put on 10lbs). I am missing that BMI, and want to get back to it...even though logically I know I should hang out where I am. I am going to focus on BF% (I need to get it professionally done). I am tall, and have a large frame, and want to be all muscle, so I know that BMI won't actually matter or be relevant. Sometimes I get stuck on a number though, it is a daily battle!!