How to feel less hungry?

Options
The hardest thing about the lifestyle change that comes with weight loss commitment is constantly feeling hungry. I thought it would fade, but 10 days in it's still with me. Any advice on how to feel less hungry? Maybe it's just a part of the lifestyle, but I find it makes me more distracted and less focused on my work.

Replies

• mrmarch911
    mrmarch911 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    get a good protine shake it will help :)
  • BethGutschlag
    BethGutschlag Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It does take some time to adjust!! Make sure you have protein with every meal!
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    Eat plenty of raw veggies, and drink a big glass of water right after! Not a salad --but, cut up carrots, celery, peppers, cukes, etc. Also good as a 'filler' before a high calorie dinner...ie: lasagna, pasta dishes, etc.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Maybe you just need a bit more. I try to snack often. Some nuts, Greek yogurt, fiber one bars, fruits, veggies. Plus plenty of water and now that it's cold out, I have lots of green tea. All the liquid helps keep me full.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal and recently started eating the dannon oikos greek yogurt and i can wait a good while before lunch. you should try that. it has helped me cut down on the snacking on other stuff a lot.
  • larat71
    Options
    I found that to be the hardest part in the beginning as well. Basically you're telling yourself that you can't have something and we ALL know what happens when you tell someone they can't have something:) To kill that "habit", I went out and got carrots, celery and apples. The crunchiness of those three low calorie snacks made me feel like I was "eating" a lot. Not sure if that helps, but it's one thing you can try. Good luck! If you need more support, feel free to add me. :happy:
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    What you eat can make a huge difference. Make sure you have lean protein. Avoid simple carbs, including fruit because they will stimulate your hunger. Make sure that you have raw veggies available to snack on, and or a hard boiled egg and drink lots of water. You should not need to feel hungry.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    To the OP

This very issue is what eventually lead me to a reduced carb, primal fitness approach.

"A well balanced diet" focused on calorie restriction just left me hungry as hell all day and watching the clock to my next meal.

Food for thought.

I am not recommending Atkins induction level, but reducing your carbs below 100 a day will make a world of difference.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lots of fiber and protein. I also try to eat smaller meals then I have small, healthy snacks between meals.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, and water. Sometimes you're just thirsty and the other two help fill you up. And here's my opinion that some may not like: You're not going to be able to jump into things and be perfect immediately. It does take time to adjust. If you're so hungry it's distracting and painful: eat. I know when my blood sugar gets too low, I can't function at all. Don't make yourself sick. Now, that being said. Work on what you are eating. There is a difference from snacking on a double cheeseburger (lots of fillers, junk food) vs. carrots with hummus (very delicious and satisfying I might add.) We are here for however long the journey takes. Don't rush yourself, work your way in. And welcome to the site, good luck!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    The good fat in almonds keeps me feeling full. 23 almonds (1 ounce) are 160 calories. I get the flavored kind, they are spicy and yummy, like wasabi, lime, bbq, etc. Divide up one ounce and eat a few whenever you feel the need.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    It took me nearly 6 weeks to get my body to believe that lower calories wasn't going to kill it. LOL Give it time. It takes 21 days to create a habit. Your body is just protesting and you need to show it who is the boss...and that happens to be YOU!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    lots of veggies and water, and protein at every meal...high-fiber breakfast with water in the am too :)
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    The hardest thing about the lifestyle change that comes with weight loss commitment is constantly feeling hungry. I thought it would fade, but 10 days in it's still with me. Any advice on how to feel less hungry? Maybe it's just a part of the lifestyle, but I find it makes me more distracted and less focused on my work.

The way I look at hunger is that it can be satiated through a combination of two things: physical gut capacity and bio-chemical signals. Physical gut capacity seems self-explanatory, but bio-chemical signals are trickier. We can take pills, for instance, that act as an appetite suppressant, which make us think we're full when we're really not (i.e. we haven't stretched our bellies).

The non-pill method: If you reduce the non-fiber carbs and up the protein and fat content in your foods, such foods will help your body signal satiation more easily. Non-fiber carbs convert to sugar in the human body, which cascades into an insulin response in many people and which also over-rides or interferes with those bio-chemical satiation signals---indeed, sugar helps more than just medicine go down! I also find that many artificial sweeteners can have the same effect in terms of overriding or competing with satiation signals of food digested within the body.
  • bigfatbitchface
    Options
    I agree, water is the key. Milk may also help.
  • lucylue21
    Options
    peppermint oil is proven to make you not to hungry.
  • Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cardio excercise helps. Drink a lot of water. Concentrate on what you should eat ....some say nine fruits and vegetables . Eat protein and more often.