Off to the gym...

Options
Off to the gym tomorrow! Since I don't have a workout partner, I am looking for suggestions to keep me motivated to want to keep returning. I go so infrequently. It's hard to motivate myself to go :(

Replies

• tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've dropped into some of the fitness classes and really enjoyed myself. It's amazing how much furthur we'll push ourselves when working out as a group.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Do something fun....like ZUMBA!
  • k_frank
    Options
    does your music have tv's? that keeps me busy while I am working out so I don't pay as much to the amount of time i have spent on the machine! or a really good book that you only read when you are at the gym, that way you will want to read it, so you will maybe want to go! haha also, i don't know what kind of phone you have, my my roomie has an iphone and she will watch tv shows while she is at the gym. 2 episodes and she is done with her workout! you just need to find a good season you can start first! i would suggest music... but i'm sure that youve tried that already to! also, if your gym has classes maybe try some of them out!

good luck! I don't know if any of my ideas are good, but that's just what works for me :) it's hard to get into a routine to start going to the gym, but once you do it will get easier!
  • k_frank
    Options

yeah, I LOVE zumba.. so much fun!!!!!
  • proudmami1138
    proudmami1138 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fitness classes are the way to go. I started with Zumba ... became addicted go 3 times a week now. Tried spin ... now addicted go 2-3 times a week. Once you find a class you love you will go cause its fun! I'm proud that people at the gym recognize me and the staff does too. I've made new friends there and that is cool. I started all on my own didn't know anyone. :)
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

yeah, I LOVE zumba.. so much fun!!!!!

I agree, but I'm biased since I teach it lol :) I would give a few different classes a shot though so that you can cross train and find more than just one fun type of class...I enjoy spin, sculpting, zumba, and Tabata classes :)
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My gym does a pretty good deal where I pay for 10 trips in advance. The fact that I spent so much money in one go makes me want to return to make all that money worth it, haha!

Also I like to spend about 10 minutes at a time doing something, and I do at least six different activities to make it go up to an hour. By the time I'm sick of doing something like running I just swap over. There are a lot of TVs in the gym, and I always have my iPod on and the music keeps me going. :) I also write down my results straight away, and I guess being aware of how many calories I burn makes me motivated to keep going.

I see a fair few people who read books too, just an idea. :)
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    make yourself a schedule. Like, for instance, Mondays and Wednesdays Zumba (yes please!), Tuesday Thursdays Treadmill and strength training, Friday: rest, Saturday: rest, Sunday: Yoga or Pilates or Fluidity. That might work. Variety keeps you motivated :) and of course if you like it you'll keep going back! If the gym is your favorite way to stay in shape, you'll most likely stick with it. For me, it's running on the treadmill while listening to my favorite music and yoga. I never give up on those, because I have fun doing it.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    remember that big picture.....when you hit that goal marker and all that you did to get there!!!! One step closer
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. But one simple thing to do is set a weekly goal of calories burned from exercise. A fairly ambitious one. Track what you burn in each workout and accumulate it through the week towards your goal. It's easy to get hooked on chasing numbers.
  • momofacacia
    Options
    I've heard good things about Zumba, may give that a try. I'm so out of shape though, lol. I am not sure what other classes I'll enjoy. It seems so overwhelming to start a class before I'm in shape, but I know it will help me get to where I need to be.

I have tried the music, but I may bring a book or magazine. good idea :)
  • Freax
    Freax Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    does your music have tv's? that keeps me busy while I am working out so I don't pay as much to the amount of time i have spent on the machine! or a really good book that you only read when you are at the gym, that way you will want to read it, so you will maybe want to go! haha also, i don't know what kind of phone you have, my my roomie has an iphone and she will watch tv shows while she is at the gym. 2 episodes and she is done with her workout! you just need to find a good season you can start first! i would suggest music... but i'm sure that youve tried that already to! also, if your gym has classes maybe try some of them out!

good luck! I don't know if any of my ideas are good, but that's just what works for me :) it's hard to get into a routine to start going to the gym, but once you do it will get easier!
    For some reason I can't read or watch something while working out. lol I see other people who read books at the gym while working out and I ask myself how they can do that. I guess music is my thing while working out. haha