what to eat when u are sick??

Options
I feel like crap (the flu) and felt even worse while trying to work out...I am trying to eat a lower carb diet but am finding it hard to find comfort foods (my fave is the good old stand by chicken soup) that are low carb while I am sick...any ideas??

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally I go to "maintenance calories" while I am sick - it allows me some comfort food - but I also feel that my body needs the break, and does not need the extra stress of a calorie deficit while I am sick - by sticking to maintenance cals I might not lose any weight that week, but I am hopefully giving my body what it needs to kick back....

oh and by the way - hope you feel better soon....
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just got over a flu that traveled back with me from oz.I didn't wish to eat and wasn't hungry so I stuck to a protein shake with frozen berries,yoghurt and low fat cottage cheese.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Soup, fruits and juice. When I'm sick, I have trouble making myself eat at all, so I usually eat a bunch of apples or something.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I feel like crap (the flu) and felt even worse while trying to work out...I am trying to eat a lower carb diet but am finding it hard to find comfort foods (my fave is the good old stand by chicken soup) that are low carb while I am sick...any ideas??

If you are into cooking, try making your own chicken soup with Shirataki (tofu) noodles or brown rice. Or none at all, you might not even miss the noodles. Make sure to add lots and lots of veggies, and I find it helps my sinuses to make it spicy with red pepper flakes. You can also make (or get someone to make for you) a roasted cauliflower soup that tastes like potato, or butternut squash.

Or, eat what you want because it's only going to be a couple days, and you probably don't have much of an appetite anyway. It's ok to take a day off now and then, from diet and exercise, if your body needs it to recover.

Feel better!!
  • MellieR
    MellieR Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Feel better soon! A friend turned me on to these tofu noodles (don't turn ur nose up just yet!) called shirataki noodles. The brand I prefer is Wildwood Pasta Slim. I buy them at Whole Foods but my local Publix also carries them (different brand). The Pasta Slims don't have an off-putting odor and seem to require less rinsing. If you cook your chicken and veggies in low sodium broth, then throw in your pasta slim noodles you might pleasantly surprised. One note, don't "cook" the noodles, they can get chewy but I found they're a great substitute for me. Hope that helps!
  • jalford0226
    Options
    Thanks for all the handy and helpful hints everyone!! I am definatley going to take a look for those noodles ...a cpl ppl have mentioned them so they must be good!!

I am feeling better..not a 100% but good enough to go work out..gotta keep on moving if i want that scale to move back down in numbers!!