zumba

Options
What is zumba? Is it like a type of dance or something?

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    yeah... dance/exercise. usually done in group classes
  • kayelrick
    kayelrick Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    it's exercise by dance.... lots of videos of you tube . . .
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Fusion, of some latin (Merengue, salsa, reggaeton), english, music. High cardio burn!! It's awesome.
  • blondie711
    Options
    Zumba is one of the most FUN exercises available if you can learn to relax and enjoy the dancing! If you attend a class be prepared to just watch and follow along. Zumba does not give you verbal cues like other classes (left foot up, step side to side, etc.) because it isn't about perfection. There's a lot of shaking your bum, swiveling your hips, and shimmying. The idea is to enjoy the latin beats, do some latin moves, and feel latin sexy! Each instructor choreographs their own moves, so if you go to different classes you may hear the same songs but do different dances. I love going to class but I also have Zumba for the Wii which is a good substitute. They say Zumba burns lots of calories (zumbacalculator.com) but that's only if you're really out there moving around.

I say give it a try- just give in to the music and dance dance dance!
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    TraceyMarieHarnett Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's like a dance....I'm doing it twice a week in a class, but I'm thinking of getting a DVD or something because I love it so much!! It gives me a good burn yet I never feel so out of breath that I want to stop. That's why I don't like walking, it's boring and I always get out of breath fairly quickly and feel like I'm going to gag.....

But Zumba is so much fun....and if you start with a beginner class it's hard to follow.
  • Dangerously15
    Options
    thanks!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It's a great dance/aerobic class. I have the DVD's, but I have bad coordination so I'm still learning it. I can do step aerobics, but I can't get the Zumba down. It is fun though.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    my gym (la fitness) just introed zumba and is usually jam packed. i would try it but i don't want to be mistaken as a gay dude. :bigsmile:
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Beto (the creator) is a guy and there are lots of guys doing Zumb on the DVD and they have great bodies and look like they are having a blast!
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's a great dance/aerobic class. I have the DVD's, but I have bad coordination so I'm still learning it. I can do step aerobics, but I can't get the Zumba down. It is fun though.

For some reason the moves just come really easy for me. I didn't bother with the step by step just jumped right in. If you watch the DVD's you can see patterns including repeating movements during the choruses etc.